Why do expensive upgrades to 230F? I don't get it.

OK, this is my first post and I just purchased a new CRF 230F so I don't know nothin yet.

Just the same, I do plan on doing inexpensive upgrades to the 230F such as the removal of intake and exhaust restrictions and associated re-jetting but I just don't see the economics of doing expensive suspension or engine modifications. You pay a whole lot to do these upgrades and you'll never get it out in resale price. Seems to me, would be much better to just sell the 230F and buy a new CRF 250. My 230 F cost $3,200 and the same dealer is selling the CRF 250 for $5,000. Given this differential and the fact that modifications tend to hurt rather than increase resale, I wouldn't even consider mods over $200 or so for the 230 F. In fact, I suspect that even if you were willing to drop $2k on the 230 F, you would end up with a bike that would still be inferior to the 250 F!

OK, now tell me where I am wrong.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name=cbrf4. In fact, I suspect that even if you were willing to drop $2k on the 230 F, you would end up with a bike that would still be inferior to the 250 F!

OK, now tell me where I am wrong.[/quote]

For me personally, the reason I will be "dumping" tons into the suspension to my 230 instead of getting a 250X is because I am 5'1, and I can't touch the ground now, on the 230. A 250 is a couple of inches taller.. and even if I put money and effort into making the 250 shorter, it would still be as tall as my 230 now, which is almost too tall.. and I would start dealing with clearance issues..

Also, for some, the 230 is just too big too tall, too long, too wide.. the 230 is perfect for me.. I don't plan on selling it, so I don't worry about the resale value .. I might get an additional bike, for mx, but not for trail! Its perfect for me! ?

and by having a small bike while your young and by riding it to full potential, it really teaches you how to pick lines, and just really refine certain skills like log hopping for a trail rider or how to carry corner speed for a mx'er, or just plain old wheelie and nose wheelies (great balance excercises by the way!)

My 230 F cost $3,200 and the same dealer is selling the CRF 250 for $5,000.

CRF250X suggested retail $6399.

CRF250R suggested retail $6299.

Man if your dealer is selling CRF250s for $5000 that's a great price. That's a $1300-$1400 savings on that bike!

To answer your question though - it's simple. The guy goes and buys an old car puts it in the garage and night after night spends his life in there "tinkering" and having a blast. These are basic bikes, that can be made better. End result or outcome might not be better than what you can purchase out there in the form of a race bike, but it's the joy of doing it yourself and having fun and learning while you do it!

Plus, coughing up close to $7000 out the door for a race bike is a little tough. But, if you purchase an off-road bike like the CRF150 or CRF230, you can purchase an item here and an item there, and upgrade it. It makes it more economical and easier on the pocket book (or in most our cases our wallets).

Most of all it's a blast tinkering with these little bikes to see if you can coax more performance out of them. I have a couple (few) race bikes and I never go to the track to work on it with them. The little CRF150 has got me over there mowing, raking, hoeing (is that a word?) and anything else to make riding more fun.

Mike

It really depends on your riding style and such. I ride WV trails...no MX. Why would I even need a 250x? I don't.

Some of us older guys (me being on the younger side lol) never plan to MX. If I can throw some cash into my crf230 here and there to make it alittle faster why not. I love tinkering with stuff. Especially automobiles and bikes now.

I figure my bike will be cammed by the end up summer ?

I am 22 and never MX'd and never will. So I don't need a super fast bike or a bike that can jump a 50ft table top. I just need something I can take out and beat on/tune.

i agree with cbrf4 because you will end up spending more than the difference in bike costs to make the 230 up to par. personally i would buy a good race or off road bike and then upgrade that so you'll have the ultimate bike, and not just something thats as good as something you can already buy.

Also consider that most of the modifications that people do to the 230 you could probably end up doing to almost any bike. By far most upgrades done on the 230 are: jetting/uncorking, tires, bars, levers, graphics, springs, light kits and other relatively low cost mods. Any dirt bike is a candidate for those types of mods.

i agree with cbrf4 because you will end up spending more than the difference in bike costs to make the 230 up to par. personally i would buy a good race or off road bike and then upgrade that so you'll have the ultimate bike, and not just something thats as good as something you can already buy.

That's sorta what I was saying. I have a totally tricked out RM250 and RM125. Both have full tilt boogie motors that Eric Gorr built for me (Forward Motion). The 125 is even a big bore making closer to 40hp than it is to 30hp.

But I have a blast with these off-road bikes. When you get off a motocross bike where you were just out riding and taking everything 100% serious - and get on one of these - the giggle factor and fun factor is a 10+

You don't have to clear a big double, or a long table top. If you can just get back on the ground, get on the gas and then jump off the table top without killing yourself, you've accomplished something.

A CRF250 is intimidating for anyone that is new to riding. Who wants to accidentally give it a little too much right wrist and end up looping out, crashing into a tree or... with these bikes you don't do that. They are so far ahead of the curve comparred to most beginner bikes, yet they're still easy to ride and nearly BULLET PROOF. So owners especially new bike owners, can go out and have a blast and not have to worry about what the compression is and if they need new rings, or if they have to replace the clutch this week or if - you get the picture. They're fun bikes, and when you start modifying them they become super fun. And half that "super fun" part is just doing the work yourself or buying the parts yourself and knowing what is getting done to your bike.

I'll be honest, the Honda CRF150, CRF230, TTR90, TTR125, TTR230, KLX/DRZ110 & KLX/DRZ125 have really opened up a whole new avenue to this sport - or have they? You see, you used to always be able to buy affordable, fun little bikes that you could have a blast on. Then everything went so Gen X with the EXTREME SPORTS that they forgot what truly keeps this sport and industry going - people having fun on motorcycles!

The CRF150 and CRF230 are two of the bikes that are helping to save this sport that we all love - no questions asked. There are companies out there now that specialize in products for them, modifying them, selling parts for them etc, etc...

So why modify a CRF150 or CRF230 that will never be as fast or as rad as a CRF250 ?

Here is a simple analogy or comparrison: Everyone loves riding go karts right? Why? Because it's a stinkin' blast riding them.

Now say it this way:

Everyone loves riding go karts right? Why waste your time on something so slow when your moms car is faster!

The answer to all the questions above is just "it's fun". Why hop up one of these bikes? "It's fun". Why bother? "It's fun". Why spend the money? "It's fun". Why ride a go-kart, rollerblade, skateboard, surfboard... ? "It's fun".

Next time you come to Florida on vacation, drop me an e-mail and we'll go ride mine. You'll--------- "have fun". MP

I wouldn't mind having an extremely fast bike...but not for trail riding. Plus the 230 is the perfect size for me. I can easily keep it under control and get my feet down to keep it from falling over.

Its a fun bike. And its already taken some nice falls and never missed a beat.

I doubt I'll ever sell it. I'll probably keep it and get something else. Maybe even a quad ?

I am planning to put BBR Fork Springs, Rev Box, and a UNI Filter on my bike within the month.I know I'm not forking a lot out, but for being 16, that is enough money for me to be spending.We do this to our bikes because we love to work on them and make them that much better at the end of that day.I love modding my bike just as much as riding it.A lot of us can't afford a 250F or they just don't want to have to deal with the whole matience thing.

I can see throwing a couple hundred into the bike, but going into replacing the forks and upgrading the engine (besides the power up kit) and spending $2000 into these bikes just doesn't seem worth while (well more so for the 230 than the 150). The 250x besides the seat height has all around better parts on it and that is why there is the cost difference. Granted if you are going to keep the bike pretty stock with just a few quick upgrades more power to you. I love following me step son around on this bike because of the gearing, where the 450 is just to much and gets too hot when following him around. The bike is great, I just don't see dumping the money into it to the tune of $2000, but then again people do what they want and I respect them for that.

That's nice. Did you not see my statement of this went more so for the 230 than the 150 and people can do what they want?

And for about as much as you have in upgrades on your bike I bought my 450 for with a lot of upgrades on it... ?

And for about as much as you have in upgrades on your bike I bought my 450 for with a lot of upgrades on it... ?

Man i always here stuff about how people are finding great deals and such. Well ive been looking for about 6 months not and i aint found shat...

you bought a 450f w/ upgrades for that much???? something isn't adding up here

His sig says the 450 is an 02, He said he paid about what CRF150FBBR has in mods ($2,000) probably a little more.