Sign in to follow this  

lost a bolt.. where to get a new one??

i mustve forgot to tighten a couple bolts on my plastics when i jetted my carb... lost the one that holds on the seat on the exhaust side.. the one that goes through the number plate and through the seat bracket... anyone know where to get a new one?

Just take the bolt from the other side of the seat bracket and go down to Ace or some other hardware store that has a decent metric bolt section. Show the bolt to someone who works there and say, "Uh, I need this." Works for me. Most of the bolts on my bike are now from Ace Hardware. :thumbsup:

nah just the one side. should they have the same ones? i dont want mismatching bolts and all. ocd

Just take the bolt from the other side of the seat bracket and go down to Ace or some other hardware store that has a decent metric bolt section. Show the bolt to someone who works there and say, "Uh, I need this." Works for me. Most of the bolts on my bike are now from Ace Hardware. :thumbsup:

And when the help at ACE asks the ever-present stupid question "Uh, what's it off", just say................................ "Does it matter". :thumbsup:

I paid $6.00 for two seat bolts from my local stealer.

From now on I'm going to Home Depot!

Tim

I bit the bullet and went to Ebay. Got the 220 some odd piece bolt kit. Stock replacement bolts that look exactly like the ones that fall off.

I paid $6.00 for two seat bolts from my local stealer.
Strange. Ron Ayers prices them at 90 cents.

Yeah, the worst part is I think he pulled the bolts off a DRZ he had in the back, so they weren't even NEW!!!

Oh and I think I checked Ron Ayers and they wanted like $8.00 shipping for 2 .90 cent bolts... I think I even posted about this and questioning the shipping cost a couple months back.

Whatever though, it's all good, I learned my lesson...

Tim

Oh and I think I checked Ron Ayers and they wanted like $8.00 shipping for 2 .90 cent bolts...
Oh, right. I forgot about shipping. But that dealer sure did rip you off! Bastard!

Another vote for Ace Hardware! They've pretty much got it all in my experience. Play dumb and hand the dude there your part. Get extras of each and if you're worried about fit, get some different sizes and if they're too long, just dremel them to size. Don't forget to get an assortment of washers while you're at it.

Blue loctite the bastards when you reinstall them.

I replaced most of the bolts with stainless M6 Capheads (Allen Key thingies) as soon as I got the bike home, not sure if I can get the correct amount of torque on them but I aint lost any yet

i mustve forgot to tighten a couple bolts on my plastics when i jetted my carb... lost the one that holds on the seat on the exhaust side.. the one that goes through the number plate and through the seat bracket... anyone know where to get a new one?

You can get OEM stuff at the stealer if you don't want to mis match the bolt heads. When you replace them, UES BLUE THREAD LOCKER! I learned that lesson when I lost the same seat bolt (exhaust side).

And when the help at ACE asks the ever-present stupid question "Uh, what's it off", just say................................ "Does it matter". :thumbsup:

So annoying when the helpful ACE guy asks that dumb question. a bolt is a bolt is a bolt, only diff is thread pitch and metric or SAE, and if it has a flanged head or not.

To avoid mismatching bolts when one is required on both sides, I replace the missing one and the other one, AND buy a few spares to throw in my tool box, because sure enough, I will probably loose it again.

The other option is order OEM bolts at your local dealer (or order from an online parts place like Ron Ayers) and pay twice what an ACE hardware bolt costs.

Use some blue loctite to help prevent lost bolts. I learned this about 10 years ago when the bolts started backing out and falling off on the trail.

in the US, don't bother looking for bolts at Lowe's or Home Depot, their selection of little screws and bolts in metric is very slim.

When ever any Ace, Home Depot or Lowes guys ask questions about what the bolt came from make it up... I normally go with something crazy, like its from my mini earth mover or my European log splitter....

The first thing I did when I got my DRZ is order a whole bunch of bolts, washers, spacers, etc from Ron Ayers... If you order enough of them its really cheap and you have them when you loose them.

I would be surprised if any of my plastics have any of the original bolts on them. Never had them rattle out but always put them in a "safe" place...

i used to work at the suzuki dealer. just take a second and ask a tech for a bolt. i guarantee he has boxes of bolts from other bikes that were serviced and won't mind giving you some. :thumbsup:

in the US, don't bother looking for bolts at Lowe's or Home Depot, their selection of little screws and bolts in metric is very slim.

Yup. When I was looking for a replacement at Lowe's one of the employees came up to me and recommended that I go to Ace. Their selection is far superior.

Any hardware store that has Hillman Fasteners will have them. They probably will have one that matches, if not, buy enough for all the plastic panels...they're cheap.

The only thing I dont like about allen head fasteners is they get crud in them that's hard to get out. They look good when they're clean though.

In the past I have gone to a tractor supply or farm and fleet store ... I have found them selling metric bolts and nuts by the pound ... As I remember it was 2.99 or 3.99 per pound ... You get alot of hardware in 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm when you can buy it that way ...