Sign in to follow this  

Post youre constructive ideas to make the desert 100 even better

a couple thoughts for the stumpjumpers to make the 100 evn greater.

Anyway we could get a water fill up station?

How about a dish washing station? That could even be a good fund raiser for the high school.

I know it usually doesnt rain like that, but a big canopy to get out of the rain for us poor tenters would be awesome.

Ban Pit bikes. Theres no reason to have them there. Its not that far to walk to everything.

Curfew for running bikes, and enforce it.

Maybe a seperate flyer to the parents about not letting their kids just race all over. I cant believe how many 5-10 year olds would just whip out into traffic, or try to do wheelies for hours on end on the main drag. Soo lucky none of them got run over. And the supposed adults and teens just getting some through camp. Not to mention the trucks whipping donuts and racing side by side down the muddy road. I was gonna kill those two if they came back by!

I dont know if you need sheriffs in there, but a couple members on a golf cart keeping some order would be great.

I had an awesome time, and you guys did one hell of a job!!! Just some constructive thoughts for ya.

Thanks, keep em coming but keep them polite........ remember we have your names and addresses :thumbsup:

I like the supervision that goes on at SJMC events. Nothing worse IMO than a bunch of freaking camp Nazi's telling me what I can and cannot do. A little chaos in the camping area is to be expected... reveled in. I really look forward to it. I'm not some young punk either. I'm a 40 y/o snot-nosed kid. :bonk:

Maybe just section one portion of the camping area off for families and fuddy-duddies... have a no boozing, no ride/pit bike rule there.

Also, if you promise beer to volunteers, you should have a full cooler with their name on it ready for them when they arrive on-site. One of my friends who was doing volunteer duty was a bit miffed :thumbsup: when his allotment of suds was not readily available. :thumbsup::confused:

Organized camping and driving lanes, what a clusterf..........

Club members told us that the pit riding wasn't allowed, but guess what, no enforcement.

I got about 5 hours sleep each nite due to the all the pricks who camped in their trucks starting them up all night.

Why no accesssable hotdog stand for the Dualsport riders this year? Another crappy 1st!

This was the 1st year I had friends to camp and ride with, and if they didn't say they wanted to do it again next year, I sure as hell wouldn't go again!

It does get kinda crowded if you were trying to drive in our out. But to be expected. I'd have to say "pit riding", now going to and from the riding area is fine, but most small kids were racing around in amongst the campers etc. My buddies easy up was totaled by a girl who wrecked into it on an XR70. And like was mentioned earlier, loud party noise, well after those who went to bed because of the early start of the event the next day. Loud stereo that would keep others awake, starting bikes up close to midnight and doing a night ride because they were drunk. I'm sure the rain cooled off most of the partying saturday night. So I guess I would say loud noise after a cartain hour should be restricted, maybe if you like loud music when everyone else is sleeping, try a iPod with headphones? And pit riding/racing. But I had a good time, just didnt get much sleep and because of that, didnt stay saturday night, left after the poker run.

I had a great time and will be there again next year. Thank you for doing a great job Stump jumpers. Don, I had a beer for you on Friday but your relief a 70 year old stumpie got it instead at the gate. :confused: I would hate to see the local Police or Camp Nazis come to play. :thumbsup: The rain kept things some what quiet Saturday night. The toilets were cleaned also on Saturday, which was great and not out of control. Yes, the pit riding was bad and out of hand. Due to the number of people it could have been worse. The only thing I would like to see is less pit riding and midnight to 6:30am quiet time. Have you ever thought about asking for help in volunteers from other clubs on policing our own??

Thank you :thumbsup:

DH

Don,

I assume that you wrote the sweeper article. Total crack up and yet you explained exatly what sweepers do.

It seems like pre registration would be very helpful for this event. Even if it was not required it would help shorten sign up lines and give you an idea of numbers/needs before the actual event.

In some races with large start lines as was Sunday, riders are brought in to the line. A banner is held up in the air about a quarter mile out...huge banner. A horn sounds to signal 30 seconds...time runs out and banner drops...riders run to bikes...heck breaks loose.

After all the build up to the start and then have so many riders unprepared. Then hearing that the horn was not an SJ horn and...

I know the horn and banner system worked in D37.

Pit riding by the children who are not riding to an event course is dangerous and an accident waiting to happen. I am not sure how this can be dealt with but there must be a way to curb it.

Definite curfew on the noise issue.

My friends who did sleep on site mentioned the loud partying and riding dirt bikes that kept them awake all night long. That is just plain inconsiderate. I'm not sure how to enforce consideration but there must be a way. Even the loud party folks can have their fun at a decent hour without taking from the fun of others.

There needs to be more enforcement of the stated rules which are for everyones safety and consideration of others.

Sorry guys as I looked at this post in it's original form I didn't see any constructive idea to improve the problems mentioned so I edited it and removed the sarcasm. Still I am not sure how to deal with these problems. And I love participating in the event.

Since I didn't get to go :thumbsup::confused::bonk:

I would say, better advertising.. I didn't even know about it until two days before.. Now that I do know, I'll be looking for it next year, but that is my complaint! Oh yes.. and buy me a camper! That way if the weather looks bad, I can still go.. We wanted to, but camping with the rain in a tent didn't sound fun.. no matter how much beer :thumbsup:

Pit riding by the children who are not riding to an event is dangerous and an accident waiting to happen. If the parents don't love their children enough to monitor them somebody needs to.

Definite curfew on the noise issue.

It just may be that the fuddy duddies (family oriented folks) out number those who think it is a drunken party free for all. Put all the party animals into a caged section where they can have at each other. I'm sure the next day they will have plenty of energy to do the events and so will the fuddy duddies.

Yup

Yup

Yup

What a great event put on by a great club! THANK YOU!

I am a little concerned that the event has grown so much that it is difficult for the club to maintain the rules/order.

1. Make some sort of a designated bike pathway to get from the riders meeting area over to the event start area (the course/trail) that way you don't have hundreds of riders all riding through the areas where people are camped, riding unsafely and dodging pedestrians, RVs, vehicles, EZ-up canopies, etc. Another bike pathway could be made over at the far end of the camp at the edge of the highway where the trail ride started, giving people camped out at that end a shorter route to the course. Maybe string some flags/banners/orange construction fence or something to make the pathway(s). Having a designated pathway that was 30-40 feet wide would have helped to make things safer for the campers, pedestrians as well as the riders.

I about got hit several times saturday afternoon as kids were making a b-line over to the start of the pee-wee race because they were riding between parked rigs.... I heard one story of an ez-up that got totaled because someone crashed in to it. I was paranoid that someone was going to crash in to my truck or RV.

2. Use some of that orange construction fence to cordon off the borderline of the camp area / riding area - basicaly make a "line of seperation" out there where the hay bales were.

3. Pit riding - hmmm... were do we begin on eliminating that problem? :thumbsup: that's a huge can of worms. Kids don't get many chances to go out and ride, so when they are in an area where they can ride, guess what - they want to RIDE. But, it wasn't just kids pit riding. I saw a number of people (adults/teenagers/young adults) riding through camp unsafely, doing wheelies, and then those guys in their trucks doing donuts. :thumbsup:

When that many people are gathered in one place in tight quarters, problems are going to arise. Self policing is one way to reduce the problems.

4. The event schedule being wrapped up in the trash bag---I didn't even know it was there until I got home and used the trashbag elsewhere. Having the schedule was a good idea, but I bet a lot of other people didn't know it existed either. When handing out the trashbags next year, make sure the people handing them out tell the people they are giving them to that there is a schedule rolled up in the bag, or hand out the schedule seperatly so people don't forget "the schedule is rolled in the bag" and then ignore it.

All of the printed stuff that was handed out, put that stuff online too so we can get a head start on the weekend.

5. On the back of the schdeule, print up some camp guidelines such as no pit riding, quiet hours, no campfires, etc. I did see the info somewhere, but I forgot where I read it.

6. Broadcasting on the radio was a good idea, but I found out about that by accident when i overheard someone else talking about it. Make mention on the schedule that "event info will be broadcast over such and such FM frequency"

7. Those that are advising people where to camp/not camp, be sure they are all on the same page (operating off the same set of guidelines) and that club members don't contradict each other. I heard different instructions from two different sets of club members.... one group said "it's ok to park over there" then as soon as we got parked there, another group of club members told the people we parked next to that no one was supposed to be parked there.

8. Have a row of camping spots reserved for the vendors, maybe in the middle section out front that's near the sign up tent, that way everything is centrally located. I suppose it's hard to know who all is coming (vendors/suppliers, etc.) but i felt bad for the guys in the Devol rig - they shoehorned their rig in to a not so level spot on the corner.

Sometimes though, it's easier just to "wing it" than try to plan out where people are going to park when you don't relly know who is coming, let alone if they have a 10' cargo trailer or a 45' race trailer.

hmmm... another thought, the area where the crowd gathered for the riders meeting, surround that with the food vendors, etc. Advise the vendors they need to be there mid day Friday if they want to get a decent spot.

Closing up shop for a day is all in the name of "providing event support". If I were a vendor, I'd sure try to get to the event before dark.

Damn, all you freakin' complainers...It's been going on like this for years....it's part of the mystique of the event. If you don't like it don't come. If you don't want your kids pit riding don't let them. If you don't want to get boxed in don't let yourself. It's not up to the SJMC to patrol your sorry asses or your neighbors sorry asses. I've been coming to this event since the late 70's and never once have I gotten a hot dog. Who gives a sh!t if you want a hot dog pack one with you, stop at the stand and have them cook it for you. Christ you guys kill me....you probably want the SJMC to wash your bike and change your oil when you're finished as well.

For the most part just quit complaining. Be happy that we can still have an event like this. You ******* newbies kill me....stay at home next year it will make it better for all of us.

Get off you damn high horses

Damn, all you freakin' complainers...It's been going on like this for years....it's part of the mystique of the event. If you don't like it don't come. If you don't want your kids pit riding don't let them. If you don't want to get boxed in don't let yourself. It's not up to the SJMC to patrol your sorry asses or your neighbors sorry asses. I've been coming to this event since the late 70's and never once have I gotten a hot dog. Who gives a sh!t if you want a hot dog pack one with you, stop at the stand and have them cook it for you. Christ you guys kill me....you probably want the SJMC to wash your bike and change your oil when you're finished as well.

For the most part just quit complaining. Be happy that we can still have an event like this. You ******* newbies kill me....stay at home next year it will make it better for all of us.

Get off you damn high horses

Easy there friend.

I was out on the course all day both days so I didn't get to hear much of what went on. If people felt there were issues then they have every right to voice them. **and as a club we have every right to pick and choose what needs to be addressed. :thumbsup: **

We try not to crack down on people to bad. We have in the past when we felt it was needed. Most are considerate and out to have a good time. :thumbsup: Traditionally people party Friday night and turn in at a decent hour on Sat so they can be ready for the race. Pit riding requires adult stumpjumpers to yell and try and get crazy eyed kids (that are out to have a good time) to behave and park their bikes (wich you know won't happen for long) let alone have the upset parents in our faces when their kids tell about the big bad Stumpjumper that yelled at them.

Let them voice their concerns/wishes for the future. I can't personally grant each and everyone but it will help us know where we can focus on arising trouble spots.

F$%^k, never thought I would have to defend my civilized self to some redneck who grew up in the D-100 zoo, but here it goes. When one of your 5,800 family members gets killed next year by one of the freakin oldies, I can guarentee you there won't be an '08 event there!

BTW, been going the last 10 years and never complained until this year. We had a good time, but were the start of the clusterf^k when the zoo filled up, we were the 1st to camp in the field. The people entering before and after had no probs. He asked for constructive critism and got it.

constructive ideas is the point of this thread, not bitching!!

When i say "ban pit bikes" im not talking about the kids. Those are Mini's. I look at the pit bikes same as quads, dont need them racing all over. Its too small an area to just not walk. If the adults would behave on their pit bikes, there wouldnt be a problem, but with friday night partying, which is fun, the drinking leads to pit racing.

I agree, 1 death in the camping area that is caused by allowing pit bikes to race all over is gonna put a serious damper on this event. This was my first time there, but im a veteran of serious party scenes and that was as dangerous as ive seen.

The kids. They are so amped to go riding, cant blame them. How about a section that is just for them to go play in? You could even have a couple volunteers out there giving riding advice and little mini classes, show them secrets and tips.

The only reason i started this thread was i thought the SJ's would like to hear CONSTRUCTIVE IDEAS in one place, not another spot to call people names.

Maybe one of the ways to cut down on the pit riding by the young children is to provide a small track of some kind and then make it known they can ride there to there hearts content all day long. They have done this at Taneum Junction, though it did not eliminate the problem it did reduce it.

I seem to remember when the desert 100 was held at Vantage that you actually had such a area.

I really believe wheelies and trucks spinning donuts on the roads that folks are walking and driving looking for a parking spot will only be dealt with by enforcing the rules. First educate but if that doesn't do it then it's time for some one to leave. It's not like it's a hard rule to understand. Reinburse their money and ask them to leave if they can't abide by a simple rule designed for everyones safety. Your not really talking about a lot of people so it will not hurt the events turn out at all. I believe most of us want enforcement on this issue.

A noise curfew on Friday night: motor bikes and overly loud music need to be stopped by midnight. The Poker Run is just as much an event as the Race and folks like to be fresh and ready after a good nights sleep for all events.

Just some suggestions which might be easier to make than do.

And you won't lose me as a paying customer if you chose to ignore them.

If you don't want police involved - and nobody does - then educating the masses is the best you can do. Maybe print a flier with the rules and give it to everybody who comes in. You could mail everybody a notice before the event, talking about the seriousness of pit racing danger and keeping it quiet at night. It won't eliminate all the problems but it would help. One Sherriff at night telling people turn off the music and engines would go a long way though. No volunteer should have to deal with a raving drunk at 2am ya know? I wouldn't want to.

My only other suggestion is to have somebody directing people into rows, or at least sections, for camping. It was pretty confusing figuring this out, and I got there on Friday afternoon. I'm sure the people coming in friday night in the dark had a hard time finding a camp spot.

It was my first Desert 100, but it won't be my last! My boys are nearly old enough to ride, I am already so amped to make this part of their lives. I just want it to be safe for them.