525 EXC for street applications?????

I am seriously considering a 525exc to convert to the street and I am curious to find out from someone who has one how well they work out? I have ridden a DRZ-400 SM and was a little displeased with the amount of power it had. I plan on having one set of supermotard rims and tires and one set of off road tires. How well does this bike work for this? ?

I ride my 2004 525 EXC on the street for 2 years and I love it !

If you do traffic, you should install a 100$ fan, otherwise your KTM's blood will get out...

I also added some foam on the seat, my little ass is now happy...

For the rest, this is standard, 17inchs wheel, flasher, light, etc...

My friend have a supermoto drz-400 and there is no comparision...

On the other hand, the maintenance on the KTM is now cool compare to the drz.

DSCN6601_resize.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys! I am currently shopping for a 525 now and just missed a killer deal on ebay. How well does the bike handle at highway speeds? I know it is not going to do great on the highway but what I am wondering is how it would do for a ten or twenty mile stretch?

Thanks again ?

That's more of a function of which tires you choose...

I got the factory dual-sport version, and the stock DOT knobbies (Pirelli MT-18s) get sketchy at 70 mph and up. A friend with an street legal 450 MXC runs the Pirelli MT-90s and they aren't nearly as squirmy at highway speeds (and he does fine off-road with them).

With supermoto rims and 17" Scorpion Syncs, my 525 is stable at 100 mph... ?

--Fillmore

I ride a dualsported 525 EXC also and have no problems on the pavement. The only issue I have is that I'm running Pirelli MT21's and they get a little squirly around 70-75 mph because of the huge knobbies. I'm planning on gettin an extra set of 18" and 21" wheels to put some street tires on to fix that problem. I am choosing this setup over 17" SM wheels so that I don't have to worry about re-calibrating the speedo for the smaller SM wheels.

Also - has anybody put a keyed ignition on their dualsported ride? I feel uneasy about leaving my bike out in the parking lot knowing that anybody can push the e-start and ride away. (I use a wheel lock, but that isn't going to stop anybody with a set of bolt cutters). I was thinking about hiding a toggle switch somewhere, but an actual key would be best.