How to live in a city and still own a bike and ride?

I'm going to grad school soon and am afraid there will be no place to store my bike. Anyone live in the city (apartments) able to keep their ride?

There is always solution, if you really want to ride (and have time- it's grad school, man!). Since you are not in downtown LA or NY, it's easier already. Friend's house, storage, and if your apartment is on the ground floor- in the room! I have done it in the past, earlier days being between sold and bought houses. I do it now, sometimes... some new bikes stay in the house for awhile, for the display, but lately, after installing new travertine floors, it has become illegal...So, look around, maybe some school buddy who lives in the house will let you keep your bike there. BTW, if street legal, makes good campus transportation, just too easy to get it stolen.

If the apartment complex does not offer a garage system, you can always store your bike at a storage complex. Most of the time in the cities they have storage somewhere close to apartment homes. Maybe it's just me...but no matter who the friend I would not be leaving my bike at anyone else's house. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

We used to rent a house in the city and I would push my bike down stairs and push it back up. When we started getting more into it and bought a motorhome, it didn't fit in our driveway so we kept it at a friends house 45 minutes away. Every sat morning i'd push my bike up the stairs, load it in the truck, drive 45 minutes, load rv, go to the races, come back on sunday and reverse the process. That got real old real quick, but where there's a will there's a way.

If the apartment complex does not offer a garage system, you can always store your bike at a storage complex. Most of the time in the cities they have storage somewhere close to apartment homes. Maybe it's just me...but no matter who the friend I would not be leaving my bike at anyone else's house. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Too bad.... we are a good group of friends around here, some have big garages, store bikes all the time for many reasons: while buddy is building new house or remodelling, or those guys's bikes who live in AZ in winter only and have just small condo with 1-car garage and "winter" car in it. Nothing ever happened. Some bikes are pricey: decked out track bikes, or high-dollar italian sport bikes.

I'd go with the friends house thing. I heard of a family who had theirs in storage and they were all stolen. The worst part is, they think the operators may have had something to do with it! I wouldn't trust storing it in a garage owned by someone I've never met. I'd sleep much happier knowing it was with a family member or close friend. I'd still invest in a cable lock or something if it were at a friends.