Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Lacing

Having dented my wheel beyond all recognition, I procured a new Excel rim from E-bay. Never having re-laced a wheel before, I wondered if members had any advice on how best to rebuild the wheel, any hints or tips and any pitfalls to avoid. Does it matter which way the rim goes or are they symmettrical?

I want to know before I trust my life back on my fire-breathing Yamaha.

Cheers,

Spike

Many thanks,

I had removed the rim before asking but did something similar anyway, marking where the spokes and holes went. One thing I didn't mark was which way the rim was, left side and right side. Does it matter or are the rims symmetrical?

It doesn't matter what side it lays, the holes are the same on both sides. :thumbsup:

Hey Y'all,

I just did mine today. I took my rim with the tire installed to the dealer to have them true the rim. A number of days later they finally told me that it would be $157 for the spokes and $180 for the labor to true it. Well I bought a set of big tire irons off of Ebay, for $51, and the spokes from SH, for $95. I changed out the spokes today. It was not as bad ad I thought it would be after I got the tire off. I managed to do that eye sight truing. It meets my standards. Make sure when you change out the spokes to put some anti-seize. So the moral of my story is that with some huge tire irons you can change out you own tire and spokes. How the guys that change or patch their tubes with the little tire irons I don't know. Have fun, Tony