oil breather hose

Does anyone know why the breather hose from the head routes to the airbox boot on the TE250?

The boot collects a little bit of oil from the breather hose,when you lay the bike on it's side. This oil seems to affect the jetting.(it is also a pain to remove)

Would rerouting the breather and plugging the airbox boot have any adverse effects on the bike?

Thanks

When I took my carb apart the first time to install the JD Kit. I noticed a great deal of black greasy stuff up by the needle. This is left overs from the vent tube being routed into the air box. I removed the vent tube, plugged the hole and rerouted the vent tube where the carb vent hoses are located between the swing arm. This left over oil has got to effect performance. I believe this is an emissions requirement.

just remove it from the airbox, close the hole with a tap or a cork and tie it with a tire-up somewere on the bike. Let it drop all these fumes to the environment...This is what my mechanic did after in the first 3hour service. He told me that these fumes will stuff your oil filter and the bike will not breath properly. He also told me that the reason they place it there is because of the emission requirements that state that nothing should drop to the environment so they had to stick that hose somewere...

Does anyone know why the breather hose from the head routes to the airbox boot on the TE250?

The boot collects a little bit of oil from the breather hose,when you lay the bike on it's side. This oil seems to affect the jetting.(it is also a pain to remove)

Would rerouting the breather and plugging the airbox boot have any adverse effects on the bike?

Thanks

Yes, I'll tell you why..............

It's so you don't get DUST sucked into the Engine!

Yes, I realize if you tip over you get some Oil on the Filter.

Yes, I realize that if you overfill the Oil it will spit into the Airbox.

Yes, I realize that if you have excessive blow-by past the Rings it will spit Oil.

These are all things that MAY happen.

The "Sucking Dust" thing will happen.

Don't mess with it.

Couple of Questions Bob, it is pressure from the engine that makes this blow out engine fumes from the top end. The higher you rev the more air comes out of it. When does it ever suck in air from that tube? Guess only one question, forgot the other.

Couple of Questions Bob, it is pressure from the engine that makes this blow out engine fumes from the top end. The higher you rev the more air comes out of it. When does it ever suck in air from that tube? Guess only one question, forgot the other.

Pressure blows out that breather when the Motor is revving.....right?

When you are "off throttle" going down a Hill with the Throttle closed it will suck air in.

Even if it did'nt, you still do not want that "Open" without being filtered.

even on idle if you check, it blows out air with a very high preasure. Even if it is in the airbox, at the point it is attached to, and we asume that on some instants it sucks air, the air does not get filtered. It is not attached at a point between the air firler and the carb, so the air filter does not prevent dust from entering it. Have you checked the botom of your airbox to see how much dust cocentrates there after an enduro day? If it is out in the environment I bet it has less chances of sucking dust than if it is at the botom of the airbox where all the dust resits and concentrates itself. My oppinion ofcourse;)

Every other 4-stroke that I have owned was routed else where. Not in the air box, and did not suck air. It blows air when running!!!! If your nervous, route it some where safer but not in the air box. Heck if your REALLY nervous put a filter on it!!!

Every other 4-stroke that I have owned was routed else where. Not in the air box, and did not suck air. It blows air when running!!!! If your nervous, route it some where safer but not in the air box. Heck if your REALLY nervous put a filter on it!!!

This is a factory diagram for a 2002 crf450r, you will notice the breather hose has a T in it, one side connects to the air boot, the other drops down and is plugged (reference #11 plug, breather tube).

http://servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/off%20road/crf450r%2002-04/crf450r_04%20frames%20page.htm You will need to clock on " air cleaner " in the left hand column.

This is a factory diagram for a 2002 crf450r, you will notice the breather hose has a T in it, one side connects to the air boot, the other drops down and is plugged (reference #11 plug, breather tube).

http://servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/off%20road/crf450r%2002-04/crf450r_04%20frames%20page.htm You will need to clock on " air cleaner " in the left hand column.

The Honda layout vents to the Airbox, the "Tee" is simply a "Liquid Trap".

A good rider, mechanical nobody with initials LR put on his KTM based website how the reroute that hose to the dirtyest part of the bike and lots of Orange bikes have had bearing failures as a result. If your going to make a "mod" try to make one that is an improvement.

A friend of mine had a Husaberg that did the same thing. The best cure we found was to remove the breather hose from the airbox and put a small K & N Filter on the end of the hose. Those type filters are designed to be oiled, so a little extra won't hurt it. Make sure to secure the hose to the frame or something so it doesn't bounce around, and seal up the hole in the airbox. Done. No more plug fouling, hard starting, or oil in the airbox or carb.

A good rider, mechanical nobody with initials LR put on his KTM based website how the reroute that hose to the dirtyest part of the bike and lots of Orange bikes have had bearing failures as a result. If your going to make a "mod" try to make one that is an improvement.

?

Sounds like a waste of time to me (changing the breather). I was happy to see my breather was behind the air filter on my new Husky. No way I'm moving it. I've played with the carb a bunch and I've never seen any gunk in there. The bike is running great. If it aint broke, don't fix it. ?

Lukejt