06' WR450 "uncorking" question

Hey all,

I've been lurking for a while now and never posted. Hoping someone can shed a little light for me.

I'm lined up on a pretty good deal for an 06' WR450. The dealer is going to put a few mods on straight out of the box for me based largely on what I've read here (BTW, this place is great!).

Anyway, here is what I'm having done...

GYTR Aluminum exhaust w/spark arrestor included, steel header, and 96db quiet tip

GYTR Enduro Skid plate

GYTR AIS removal kit

JD HiPo Jetting Kit - pre-installed jetting to following specs:

168 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet

Zip Ty adjustable fuel screw

Stock & aftermarket parts included (including all original & aftermarket jets and WR throttle stop)

Included in the AIS kit (done also) was the replacement of the WR throttle stop with a YZ throttle stop screw.

I'll have to remove the gray wire myself. Ride at +/-800ft. elevation and will be 60-75 initially, may have to rejet for hotter temps as summer hits. Just want to make sure I've covered the basics of uncorking this thing. I'm getting into Enduros and want to have the bike ready to go - I'll have to do a brake switch but, that is an easy fix.

I guess my question is two-fold: A) Do I have the bike uncorked? Have I missed anything? :thumbsup: I'm not sure what the powerband is going to be like. A friend of mine is concerned I'll be disappointed in the powerband because I'm riding a '00 YZ426. It is set up for trails (heavy flywheel, etc.). I'm thinking the 450 is going to be plenty snappy and grunty but, with the added benefit of the wide ratio tranny. Anyone ridden both and could give some feedback on how the bikes respond to a twist?

Thanks all - appreciate any feedback!

My last bike was a '01 YZ426, my current bike is a '06 WR450. I had no real woods parts on my 426, just regeared the front to a 13T. I race hare scrambles on both. My lap times are faster on the WR. The down side is the mx portions of the track. I used to get away with coming up short or overjumping without problems on the YZ. On the WR I have to nail the landings or it bottoms harsh. I am still playing with the clickers, may change the springs to combat this. On enduro stuff the WR is way better, I think. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

I own a 2006 WR450 and before this bike, I owned a 2003 WR. I ride at a little below sea level (southern California desert) to 5,000 ft in northern Baja California on a regular basis. I recommend that you incorporate ALL of the mods in the GYT-R AIS removal kit. These will remove the snorkel in the air box; disconnect the grey wire; remove the AIS system; remove the inner tube in the muffler; cut air holes in the air box; turn the fuel screw out to 2 turns; install the YZ throttle stop and install a richer needle, pilot jet and main jet.

I know this is heresy on this forum and you've spent the money, but what the heck I'm going to say it anyway, you wasted your money on the JD jetting kit and the Zip-Ty fuel screw--- IF the following scenarios accurately describe your riding practices: you do not ride at widely differing altitudes (I mean by many thousands of ft) and you do not ride in widely varying temperatures (60-80 degree differences) in both cases on a REGULAR basis; you are an expert engine tuner and you demand PERFECT performance from your motorcycle at any altitude and at any temperature and are willing to spend the time to make the necessary changes to the bike to make it run "perfect".

The AIS kit will tell you to install the new jetting parts and turn the fuel screw out 2 turns. Trust me, it will run just fine for the average to excellent rider from 0-5,000 ft. I had the Zip-Ty screw on my 2003 and except for the initial setting and installing a richer pilot jet and main jet, I never touched the carburetor in 3 years and 3,000+ miles of riding from San Diego to Cabo San Luca in southern Baja California Mexico (sea level to 6,000 ft). The bike ran just fine. On a trip to ride the Paiute Trail in Utah to 11,000+ ft., the bike ran OK for the 4-5 days I was there. If I lived and rode at that altitude, I would have rejetted for optimum performance. Even running a little rich, i averaged 40+MPG.

If you live or ride where you will encounter water while riding, I recommend that when you install the AIS kit, you make several modifications. Instead of using the blank off cap supplied in the kit on the AIS fitting located on the upper right-hand side of the air box, re-route the engine breather hose from the fitting on the bottom of the air box up to the AIS fitting at the upper right-hand side of the air box. Install the AIS blank off cap on the engine breather fitting on the air box. In the "from the factory" layout, water in the bottom of the airbox can be sucked into the top of the motor through the engine breather hose. Also, look at the drain hose on the bottom of the air box. Mine was heat sealed --- no way for water to exit the air box. Cut a corner of the hose off at a 45 degree angle to allow water to drain out of the air box. Just my two cents :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input! Actually I haven't bought anything yet so the JD jit information is very useful! The AIS kit comes with adequate jets doesn't it? If so I would be okay with that OR they offered to do a Moose jetting kit (not quite the tinkerers dream). I'm not a master tuner by any means and just want to uncork the engine. If I only get 99% that will just fine...I'll make better improvements learning to be a better rider than worrying about the other 1% of engine performance. I learned that competing in Powerlifting with the lifting gear - at some point you have to just improve the foundation, the tools are just that...tools.

Knocking off the JD kit and the Zip Ty will reduce the price a good chunk since a bit of that was the labor to install it (I know, I could have done myself but, time is more of a premium around my house). Thanks guys - I really appreciate your feedback!

Darth Wader you have got to be kidding!

Get the WR and mod it like everyone here tells you! I came off the YZ 450 05 model and thought what have I done! Follow the mods and its this thing rocks! If you buy a WR 450 06 model you won't regret it! The 426 has a crap gearbox that'll give you trouble eventually! I had a 02 YZ 426 and think the WR450 06 with the mods craps on it! I would get the springs on the suspension to suit your weight but other then that do the mods and you will be impressed! Crikey I don't have it yet? We'll the 07 will even be better! just wait for that! Mate I will never go back to kick starting a YZ when I can just use the button on the modded WR and have the same bike!

Anyway, here is what I'm having done...

GYTR Aluminum exhaust w/spark arrestor included, steel header, and 96db quiet tip

GYTR Enduro Skid plate

GYTR AIS removal kit

JD HiPo Jetting Kit - pre-installed jetting to following specs:

168 main, JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet

Zip Ty adjustable fuel screw

Stock & aftermarket parts included (including all original & aftermarket jets and WR throttle stop)

I'll have to remove the gray wire myself. A) Do I have the bike uncorked? Have I missed anything? :confused: I'm not sure what the powerband is going to be like. A friend of mine is concerned I'll be disappointed in the powerband because I'm riding a '00 YZ426. It is set up for trails (heavy flywheel, etc.). I'm thinking the 450 is going to be plenty snappy and grunty but, with the added benefit of the wide ratio tranny. Anyone ridden both and could give some feedback on how the bikes respond to a twist?

Thanks all - appreciate any feedback!

Good to have dealer as responsive as yours who is willing to do all that.

RE. MODS (BTW: Your proposed jetting looks very close)

1. Grey wire is a MUST do - dont forget it

2. Airbox mod and wet riding insurance if appropriate (do you ride deep water?)

3. BARS - The standard are too low - ground clearance and peg position is fairly high which puts a premium on Bar position. Most swap the standard Bar out for at least 1" higher and more forward. ProTaper offer a good selection but you will have to change the mount/riser to fit.

4. Suspension - personal preference - depends on your weight/ riding style / terrain.

Bottom line - you wont be disappointed with the bike. A complete but tame beast :thumbsup: when modded right.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm so stoked...I just picked up the bike today. Unfortunately they didn't have the Yammie stuff in stock (I was early) but, it will be here Wednesday'ish next week along with the AIS kit from TT store (and some assorted guards to save my shiny new toy when I run it into a tree!). :thumbsup: I'll save a little on the labor and I'm actually looking forward to turning a few wrenches on it myself.

It certainly is tame out of the box and damn is that thing quiet! My YZ had the White E-Series tuneable and I had all of 13 discs in there. I kind of miss the sound but, figure the GYTR exhaust oughta liven it up a little. My primary saving grace right now is knowing it is coming. I gotta' be able to lift the front when I roll into it...I'm a closet adrenaline junky. It will be good though as I'll break it in gently this weekend and be ready to thrash it when I open it up next week. WOOT!

I can't freakin' wait. 'Bout two weeks and we'll head up north for a serious trail session (or maybe an Enduro). Either way, I'm going to get the crap beat out of me, I'm going to be sore for days, and I'll probably drop 10lbs in water weight from dehydration...it'll be GREAT!