Sign in to follow this  

trouble editing samsung footage

I have just bought the samsung miniket with the helmet cam. The footage it takes is great but when i try to edit it using either the stupid software that came with the camera or windows movie maker i have trouble.

I can trim the end of a clip no problem but if i try to trim the start of a clip at all the picture disappears (green screen but the sound is still there)

Anyone else had trouble or have any ideas on what i can do changing file names etc? I,m just about ready to smash the camera :thumbsup:

Hmm thats weird I use windows movie maker all the time, do you acutally capture the video over to the computer where you have the different segements of the movie? Then you just pull them down and cut the parts out of it that you dont want, beginning of clip or end or whatever it doesn't matter... You should be able to do this with no problem. I have a samsung SCD303 that I use to film my stuff. If you're doing it like how I said then that is weird you're not able to do that.

-Mary

In reality windows movie maker kind of sucks. It's really slow and struggles horribly on large files with lots of stuff. Any consumer product is pretty much better. The Ulead stuff gives you some pretty good bang for the buck, Pinnacle is another big name but usually their stuff is a buggy mess that they rarely release fixes for and their customer servicee sucks the big one. The pros will like adobe premeir but it's daunting for us average joes.

I just got the same camera and so far have no problems like what you are describing. Did you load up all the software? At first I could not play anything, but I had not loaded the video codec. Still learning, but it is coming along...

Paul

I just got the same camera and so far have no problems like what you are describing. Did you load up all the software? At first I could not play anything, but I had not loaded the video codec. Still learning, but it is coming along...

Paul

how many disks came with yours mine only came with one that had the image mixer

The video codec he is refering to needs to be downloaded.

I have had the first camera since christmas and have made multiple movies without incident. I use the miniket for downloading the mpeg-4 files and that is about it. I have them saved as .avi so that I can edit them with a Nero program I have. I will try to help if I can. Samsung has a website just for this camera that is a lot of help. You wouldn't believe the stuff I've got on film already. Don't give up on the camera. You are the problem not the camera. Have patience my son and may the force be with you.

I've been to the samsung website and downloaded the codec still nothing i can watch the movies but if i try to trim even .000000001 sec off a clip i get a green screen but the sound is there i dont know what else to do.I think i will put it in the draw and forget about it before i smash it :thumbsup::thumbsup::confused::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::cry::cry::foul:

sorry just geting a bit frustrated I was excited to get the camera but the trouble i'm having is starting to get to me

Patience. Movie editing takes forever. That is why they give an Oscar for it. Are you sure your computer is powerful enough to handle video editing? I have experienced the 'green screen' when trying to fast forward through clips. I have to go to work now. If I have time tonight I will play with it to see if I can offer some good advice. It took me a couple of weeks to produce my first movie. It helps if you are really good with computers. When I started I didn't know squat, now I'm a self proclaimed expert. Patience.

yeah, my brother and I have a new camera, and once we started to edit it, it was working weird.....the thing that made it work was adjusting the quality of the movie

ok i got nero 7 (great program) i can load the videos onto the movie maker no problem (they are saved as avi)and watch them but still if i try to cut the footage no picture but i still have sound. I have the camera set on super fine and 720. It might be time to get a profesional in my computer skills are basic to say the least.

I do have some movie making experience I used to use the video function on my sony digital still camera and then use windows movie maker to make a movie never had any problems.

Let's start at the beginning. Which camera do you have? Descride your computer. for example: pentium 4 processor, 2.0 ghz, 512 mb sdram, 160 gb hard drive, 256mb graphics card. Do you have all the updates for your computers' operating system? If Nero 7 is is your editing software, do you have all the updates for it? Do you have all the updates for your capture software(miniket)? I seam to remember an update that deals with that.

Let's start at the beginning. Which camera do you have? Descride your computer. for example: pentium 4 processor, 2.0 ghz, 512 mb sdram, 160 gb hard drive, 256mb graphics card. Do you have all the updates for your computers' operating system? If Nero 7 is is your editing software, do you have all the updates for it? Do you have all the updates for your capture software(miniket)? I seam to remember an update that deals with that.

http://product.samsung.com/event/optin05/sportscam_site/

I have the same Samsung camera and have had the same problems with the green screen when trying to edit the videos with windows movie maker. The only fix I've found is to process the whole video to a WMV in the highest possible quality then edit the reprocessed video. I know it loses a little quality that way, but I'm lazy and it works.

I have pentium 4 processor 2.93 ghz 512 mb sdram 120 gb hard drive integrated intel gma 900 graphics (whatever that is) I downloaded nero 7 yesterday so it should be up to date. I went to the samsung website and downloaded the codecs. the camera is the samsung miniket VP-x110L.

My brother too it to his place and had the same problem.

I tried wrmarks idea and it worked i loaded the footage onto nero exported it to a folder then reloaded it and I could do whatever i wanted to it its a bit time consuming but at least it works.

I got the camera in Hongkong would make any difference?

Also is there any way to add titles at the start of a movie on nero before yor footage begins?

Thanks for your help guys.

How is this for helping you? I don't remember how do edit clips with miniket. I use the Nero and I don't have any green screen problems. Your computer is good enough to do what you want. Movie editing is a slow process. It sounds like you have cleared the first hurdle. Congratulations.BTW, I just noticed you are from australia. My wife was born in Darwin.

Also is there any way to add titles at the start of a movie on nero before yor footage begins?

This relates to Nero 6 but it should be the same for 7. On your movie editing screen switch your clips to timeline. Then above your asset view you can choose which asset to view. Select sample video where you will find a black screen. Drag that to the start of your movie. Then above assets are four tabs- film clips, effects, text and transitions. Select text and it's all downhill from there.

Thanks for the help ocho.

your wife was born in Darwin they breed them tough up there.I was born in Tasmania now living in Perth western Australia.

Before you ask yes Tasmanian devils do exist no they don't spin around.(they are aggressive little buggers though)

And no one in Australia ever drinks Fosters never not ever.

Thanks again for your patience and time when i get a decent movie made i will post it (got tones of crash footage)

Tasmanian devils do exist no they don't spin around.(they are aggressive little buggers though)

damn.. and i thought they spun around like in the cartoons :thumbsup:

I bought the same camera and come to find out it's a complex problem.

First there is a Codec that comes with the software you get with the camera, when you load the CD it installs the Codec. This will allow you to see the video but not others that don't have the Codec and editing software is worthless on the files the camera creates.

There is a discussion on a forum in DigitalVideoClub that talks specifically about this camera but to save you some time here is the fix.

You "must" open the video files in the crappy software that comes with the camera (pixela image maker), click on the far left icon that looks like a hard drive it is the capture icon and open up the files you want to edit.

Then click on the next icon (from left to right) that looks like a book, it's the album icon, create an album to put the files in.

Then click on the 3rd icon which is the "editing" icon. Make sure your album is selected in the pull down menu so you can see the files you want to edit. Take one of the files and drag it down to the bottom "timeline" Once the file is down here in the timeline the icon at the top right hand corner just under the X will become active (not greyed out), this icon looks like some small squares with an arrow pointing to what looks like a film strip. Click on this icon and it will allow you to "EXPORT" the file that you have selected, this process is quite slow.

This is the key to making your files editable. The crappy software that comes with the camera has an exporting feature that will make your files more standard and editable in other software including Windows Movie Maker and this is the process to do just that.

When you import them into Movie Maker it will break them up into many files but don't worry just treat them all as one file if you want or work with the parts either way it will work.

I spend many hours trying to figure this out, good luck.