Read This thread and let me know your thoughts

As the title states, someone on another board who is known as a knowledgeable memeber (who does not own a 4 stroke) is telling memebers they better have big wallets if they own a 4 stroke. He said every time you EVERY time you change your piston you have to replace your entire valve train. I read on here, my manual, and articles from pro mechanics that you should check your vlavle train every 2-4 rides and go from there. Well here is the thread please read and let me know your thoughts

http://motobutton.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12318

I changed my front tyre the other day. Realized the rim was possibly being worn by the bead of the tyre so I changed the rim. From there, of course I had to get a new hub, and seeing as having a new front hub get worn out prematureley by a worn rear I changed that too. Along with the bearings, Forks, swingarm and frame. Seeing as I have new bolts in the frame should I get a new engine? ?

There is nothing wrong with preventative maintenance, there are a lot more moving parts in a 4-stroke after all. So you do have to check the tolerances on more things, but seriously. If it aint broke; don't fix it.

I do know the 04 honda crf250 had some issues but the point is he is saying for every 4 stroke (moderen racing) you need a new valve train for every piston you put in

that's pretty reasonable. if you have the cylinder off to replace a piston, you'd be kinda dumb to not at least replace the cam chain. whether the valves need replacement is another story. on a klx or crf they are pretty likely to need replacement. in fact, valves wear faster than the piston/rings on those bikes as far as i can tell.

so, in general, he's right. for high-level racing applications, 4-strokes are MUCH more expensive (mitch payton at pro circuit says 4 times as expensive as racing 2 strokes). for normal people and trailriding, they're only a little more expensive unless you have a crf250 (lol). yes a top-end is much more involved, but you generally don't have to do it as often except on the ultra-high performance 250f's, which are lame bike anyway imho.

Typically, if you have a 4-stroke torn down far enough to replace the piston and rings, you should have the head and valve train checked. But they're comparing apples and oranges. 2-strokes need a new piston and rings much more often than a 4-stroke will.

Im not sure of the intervals between valve adjustments, rebuilds, replacing this or that....I don't have to worry about that with my bike...although it's NOT a race bike either, but Im sure that you'll spend at least twice as much money...and twice as much time maintaining a racing 4 stroke than you would with a two stroke. That's pretty much the bottem line...isn't it?