Sign in to follow this  

JD kit > honda parts?

My new 06 450x has less than 100kms on it and its already starting to run ruff. It has always idled poor when cold. It has now started to hick-up when off the throttle and has bogged 3 times when twisting the throttle a few time in a row.

From what I have learned on this site it sounds like I need to re-jet the carb. I want to get the JD kit but it cost way more to ship to Canada and I want it for this weekend

My question is:

1. Can I buy this kit in Canada.

2. If not, what are the jet sizes I need so I can order it from honda

3. Where are the spec I need to install these jets.... the manual is good but it doesn't give the info. It says for enviromental reasons you should not mess with carb. :thumbsup:

Thanks KC

How much to ship to Canada? Just curious, parts of Canada are closer to Cal. than the US east coast. By the way, the JD kit has custom needles, a modification that a simple jet change will not replicate.

I'm not sure why most of the people given the advice to buy a JD jetting kit don't just get it. It's 50 bucks, comes with special tapered needles for three different altitudes, excellent instructions that prevent you from dismantling your bike, and recomendations for modifying your bike further for the best performance. Wow. What a rip off for $50 bucks.

Get the kit.

Put it in.

Ride.

For the amount of time you are spending questioning the method, it could have been in and done by now.

The cost will be almost $100 american for the kit (including shipping). Plus it going to take time to get here. I guess there is no were in Canada were you can buy this kit.

I'm not sure why most of the people given the advice to buy a JD jetting kit don't just get it. It's 50 bucks, comes with special tapered needles for three different altitudes, excellent instructions that prevent you from dismantling your bike, and recomendations for modifying your bike further for the best performance. Wow. What a rip off for $50 bucks.

Get the kit.

Put it in.

Ride.

For the amount of time you are spending questioning the method, it could have been in and done by now.

:thumbsup::confused::thumbsup:

Is that from CRF's only? Even at $100 I still think its worth it. Like Krannie said, some people just don't get it. I think you do, but I understand its not fair getting ripped off just 'cause your in Canada.

Check this page out. It has the part number you need to replace the needle and gives you a step by step on how to do everything. I did this to my bike and it ran great. I also added a Boyesen Quick Shot. I am sure the JD kit is the way to go but if you are looking at saving some money, try this site and see how it goes. I was very happy and it only cost a couple bucks.

http://www.motorsports-network.com/honda/2005mc/crf450xtec.htm

Sorry boys I just order the kit from JD. Hopefully it will be here by next weekend. It pisses me off a little that I spend $8500 on a new bike and I need to through more $$$ at it so it runs the way it should. If I want to through lots of money at a hobby I would through it at my boat. :thumbsup:

You can thank all the tree huggers. Your new bike runs just the way it should, to pass all the tests to make it environmentally friendly. It is just the way it is. If you are over 200 pounds then you will have to work the suspension too but that is the way it is. You have a great bike and it is much like a boat, money pits.

I am 6'2" and weight is 185 pounds. Do you think I need to change the suspension? I have notice you can't give it to hard in mud becuase the front end does not respond to well. I also heard this has something to do with the cheap ass front tire.

My main goal is to get the bike set up for me. When I read the owners manual it says to change the front fork oil after the first 3 hours of riding. Do people really do that? Rememeber I'm not racing, I'm putting around with my girlfreind on her crf100. She is still learning.

Some will say to do the fork oil after a few hours as the manual recommends, some will say it's no big deal. I did mine after probably 30 hours or so. The oil in the outer chamber was on the dingy side, and the inner chamber oil looked new.

If you decide to do it, it's not very difficult -- the worst part being proper measuring of the new oil going back into the outer chamber (the inner more or less just gets filled, and any air or extra fluid is bled off during reassembly). It would be easier if you could measure the outer fluid from the top of the compressed fork, but you have to do it by volume.

You should be Ok with the stock suspension with a click here or there for what you are doing. That site I gave you details some quick fixes for your front forks too. I did change the fluids and had never done that before. The manual does a good job telling you how to do it. Again, if your sag isn't set right it could be holding too much weight on the rear wheel making the front light making it hard to bite. I also dropped my triple clamps down the forks 5mm to get a better bite. Yes, the stock front tire does suck. I had my tires replaced before I picked the bike up because I knew the stockers would not work for me. New bike set up takes time and if you want the bike to perform the way you hear they should there are several things you must do for ANY new bike. I like working on my bike and learning how to do these things so it isn't a big deal.

Whiteman,

Thanks for the link i've already bookmarked it. My main problem is my bike is at my parents house (I have no were to store it) and my tools and shop are at work, which is a ferry ride away. I'll do the carb kit at my parents place because it will be easy but I'll need to take bike to my shop to do the suspension.

I have about 100kms on my bike now and will probably put 50kms more on before I do the suspension. Do you guys think this is to long to wait:confused:

Thanks again KC.

Just to keep it real the JD kit on the net is $65.00 plus shipping, you are correct the instructions are very easy to understand. I would agree that it seems to be worth the money, 3 jets,2 needles. If it solved the problem will have been well worth every pennie.

I had the JD kit shipped to me in Kelowna, BC. It was just over $90.00 when it arrived. Great kit, good instructions, but a little pricey. I opened up air box up like the instructions said, and pulled my baffle. It runs great!!! no more bog with quick stabs of throttle. My next investments will be rad guards and a skid plate.

One more question... it might sound dumb. What size box does the jd kit come in? Will it fit in my mail box? I can't imagine the packaging to be very big. I live in a appartment, I don't want the kit to be sent back because its to large to fit.... in my box. :thumbsup:

The box was about 10" x 10" x 12", way to big to fit into my mailbox. I had to pick it up at the postal outlet.

I got it in the mail yesterday and it was left for me at the front desk. I'm going to do the install this monday. :thumbsup: