Nightmare trip!!!

Got up for work early and headed out into the cold wet darkness at 6 am. The ol' nag (DR650 '91) started surprisingly well and I drove the first 20 odd miles on the coast road to work without a problem. Suddenly a bus pulled out in front without looking and I was forced to brake sharply, but what the f**k, I had no rear brake! Narrowly missing him I stopped, thinking, God that was close and oh no, another thing broken on this piece of sh*t. Looking down I noticed oil pumping out of a hole where the oil filler cap should have been. I turned off the bike quickly and got off. The filler cap had obviously fallen off a mile or so before and the contents of the engine were splattered all over the right side of the bike. I looked like Red, the cowboy who capped all those oil fires in Kuwait that time. Luckily, there was a petrol station at the other side of the road. After buying 2 liters of oil, drinking 2 liters of coffee, ringing the boss to say I'd be a tad late and spending about 3/4 of an hour cleaning my self and the bike, I filled her up (only lost a little over a liter of oil) and plugged the hole with some tissue paper. I thought this would be ok to get me the last couple of miles to work. She started fine and sounded ok, no damage done I thought. Off I drove rather cautiously and had nearly made it to work when I glanced down to see to my horror that the tissue paper was alight which is more or less just under the fuel filter. On with the brakes performing the second and rather more successfully emergency stop of the day! I managed to extinguish the blaze without serious drama but was well embarrassed as there was of course loads of traffic just at that moment.

Not wanting to risk any other catastrophe I pushed it the rest of the way!

Just thought I'd share my near death experience. Hope it makes you laugh. I'm still riding the beast to work, although I have now tightened the oil filler cap with a wrench. ?

McEwan....dismal dark rainy Denmark