Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X vs. CRF250X

A 250 will not have the power you need to ride through deep sand and do somewhat long, steep climbs. It will bog down and die unless you slip the clutch til it burns up.

Same for us out here ! If you've got any sand to go through and/or any hills to climb the 450 will make a much better go of it ,... even the light guys around here often run 450's unless you're talking about the die-hard MX track addicts !

never rode a 250x, but just got my 08 450x a couple weeks ago and love it. I think you'll regret buying the 250x after youd get used to it.

I was in the same position 5 months ago. Bought an 07 450x for $5999 OTD and love it...rode a friend 250x last month and was even happier knowing my bike was not the dog that the 250x is.

The 450 has grin power..the 250 has none.

i have a 250x fully modded. i ride in the Moab desert and slickrock. i love it, specifically because of it's lite weight in the really technical rocky stuff. yes, i could use more power sometimes, seeing as I'm 210 6,1". but technique outweighs power when it comes down to it. (sometimes)

the gas mileage is GREAT on a 250!! i go 100 miles on the stock tank!

my philosophy: NEED LESS!

just rode 90 miles today in the deep desert, solo, i love this bike! it's far from a dog!!! try posting this question in the 250x forum and see what you get...

KIRK OUT

antribbl.gif

i have a 250x fully modded. i ride in the Moab desert and slickrock. i love it, specifically because of it's lite weight in the really technical rocky stuff. yes, i could use more power sometimes,

Fully modified and you say it could still could use more power eh?

Sorry you took my comments on the bike you purchased personally...but I stand by my statement...when it comes to power there is no comparison with the 450 and the 250 is a dog.

I would not want a bike that struggles to loft the front tire over an obstacle. IMO-The 250 feels like a full grown bike but there is nothing there when you twist the throttle.

I have only jetted the 450...but how much have you spent on your mods to get the bike to have more power?

450x has all the power you need and just a tad heavyer considering its got 200cc bigger engine, plus if u ever go down the road looking at getting a street legal kit for it you can go some faster

I had a California plated 250x that I loved. Until I went riding at altitude. Even with a pipe and re-jet it lacked any power. My buddy's XR400 would outrun me. I sold it after riding a buddy's DRZ400 at 4500'.

Today I would buy a 450x and rejet only. I'm over loud bikes in the woods. My Harley with a Thunderheader is enough noise for me. Let the bears and birdies be happy (and help keep trails open).

i got my 450x a few months ago when i was 15, im sure its the better bike for you. you will grow tired of the 250x in no time.

i ride a pretty much stck 450X and my buddy rides a 250X with a little head work and exhaust, its like riding a KX125 with a powervalve that wont open, and then riding your buddies 2009 YZ450F. Seriously...its that bad. No torque, i dont care what anyone says you not going to regret the few more pounds for the power.

i know this is a 450 forum but this guy isnt into moto cross or replacinf valves and changing oil every 2nd ride. maybe you should consider a xr400 since you do trails?

there is no maintainance needed and reliability is great. and from a xr 250, a xr400 is a good progression

For enduro trips (stones, trees, mud) is better less weight than high power, because of that you¡ll need 250x model. But if you do some open ridings, like tracks, you'll need power, go to 450x model.

When i ride enduro trips, i fell the 450x very heavy, but when i do some open ridings, the power makes me very happy. Nowadays, i ride a amateur enduro races, i know with the 450x weight i'll never win. For hard conditions, go to a lighter bike, for example, 2 stroke.

Of course everyone in here is gonna say the 450, its the 450 forum.

That's a hard choice. I have both bikes and like them both, but at 5' 10" and 185 lbs (and before there are any comments, yes a lot of that is muscle:lol:) I do tend to favor the 250 as it's 30lbs lighter then the 450 and I feel it. Especially in the woods and when I have to pick it up.

But I think at your height and weight (and like the others), that you'd probably out grow the 250 quickly.

Besides, once you get used to that power, it's a lot of fun:thumbsup: It's so nice just to be able to loft the front with a flick of the wrist. And being an X, there is always that magic start button, so the bigger displacement doesn't hurt as much.

Be forwarned though; depending on where you live, that 450 will most likely need some work right off. My 450 hasn't run right brand new from day one. Terrible bog off-idle and stalls off idle is a 50/50 deal for me.

So plan on some rejetting at the very least and some work on the AP. On the AP, most are going for a new spring and leak jet.

250 on the other hand has purred like a kitten; no mods to that sucker!

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

you know i never feel this heavy bike everyone always talks about. Ive never had a little light weight aluminum bike till the 450X, and the main bike i was riding before the 450 took its place was my 525. I think the 450 is light and i can throw it all around. I say just take a few seating on the bike and get used to it. Ive never had any issues with my 450being to big, and i love the power it has, needs more! HONDA should seriously make a 525X

A 250 will not have the power you need to ride through deep sand and do somewhat long, steep climbs. It will bog down and die unless you slip the clutch til it burns up..

I went to the local honda shop last week to look at buying a 250x. & thats pretty much exaclty what they told me.

Dont get the 250 because you'll always be ringing its little neck for more power & it doesnt have enough torque to get through boggy sand.

Where as the 450 has the balls to do it all & you dont have to thrash it! Just cruise & it gets through it all! Cuse its got the power!

They had a very nice 08 450X in the yard, So I took it for a ride. It was the best & most fun demo ride of my life!

So I'm buying it! :thumbsup:

you know i never feel this heavy bike everyone always talks about. Ive never had a little light weight aluminum bike till the 450X, and the main bike i was riding before the 450 took its place was my 525. I think the 450 is light and i can throw it all around. I say just take a few seating on the bike and get used to it. Ive never had any issues with my 450being to big, and i love the power it has, needs more! HONDA should seriously make a 525X

Luke,

Well I would not say the 450 is heavy (back in the day I used to ride an XR500 that was 330lbs dry! talk about a handfull for a guy my size...yikes... I was such an idot when I bought it:banghead:), but it is heavier then the 250 by about 30lbs and it is noticeable.

To me, the 250 feels just a bit more nimble then the 450 because of that. But with aluminum frames and all the rest, I would not say either is heavy for it's class.

Jim.

One of the gals I ride with has a 250X and I've traded bikes with her a couple of times. While I don't have a lot of seat time on her 250X, my impressions were that yes, it felt "lighter" but was woefully underpowered.

Her bike is all stock whilst mine is well, "modded" so that accounts for some of it, but every time I was on it, I was in 5th at the end of the throttle looking for more.

If all you're doing is tight woods or billy goat trails the 250X would probably make sense. If you mix in any other terrain like wide open desert or fire roads, sand washes, long hill climbs the greater flexibility of the 450X would be and was my choice. And I'm not sure where you are getting 30 lbs difference, the Honda site lists the 250X at 253 lbs and the 450X at 269 lbs, that's only 16 lbs.

Yes, 16 lbs gets old picking it up over and over but get acclimated to the power you'll be putting it down less and grinning more when you twist the throttle open.

And I'm not sure where you are getting 30 lbs difference, the Honda site lists the 250X at 253 lbs and the 450X at 269 lbs, that's only 16 lbs.

QUOTE]

Your right, I just looked again. not sure where I got 30lbs stuck in my head. Sorry for the confusion.

Jim.

I love riding around on my GF's 250X. It is super fun and nimble. I have not put her bike on the scale, but it sure feels like it's 30lbs lighter.

Her bike is fast too (R spec motor).

IMO, if you are over 175lbs, get the 450X.