Sign in to follow this  

New cr85!!! Got A COUPLE QUESTIONS THOUGH.

i just bought a cr85, and we to do some of the basic maintnance on the bike.

We changed the oil completely, but we read the manual, and it said to open the check bolt and a little oil should come out. when we opened it up a ton of oil came out. the person we bought it from is pretty expirienced, so im not sure if was just reading wrong, or he didnt fill it right. so how high should the oil level be you think.

Also we are new to 2 strokes, and we wondering if it was normal for burned oil to leak from the part of the pipe where it connects to the engine. and also shoot out the back of the pipe.

thANKS FOR YOUR HELP,

jUSTIN

Its normal for it to come out the end of the pipe. but not where it connects to the cylinder. You have a problem there. I sudgest get a new seal and new springs for the pipe. and re-jet the carburator. That should stop the "spooging" or excess oil. It's okay for it to smoke when it's warming up, and if your riding the bike. but if it does that and some "spooge" comes out the end of the silincer (end of pipe) than you might wanna lean it out again (re-jet)

As for the check bolt. i'm not sure. I got my CR from the dealership and they did this thing called P.D.I. It's where they drain all the oil (or put the correct ammout in) the motor, and fill it up to the correct ammount, and check over everything. Put some gas in it. and give it to you.

im a 4 stroke guy, but for the oil check bolt, did u back it out all the way? atleast on my bike, i just crack the bolt and unscrew it just enough to get a few drops out(which shows the oil is flowing)

do you feel an air leak coming from where the pipe and engine connect? make sure that its nice and tight. what mixture are you using for the premix? i think that a little oil from the silencer is normal, but we'll c what more experienced TT'rs say...

I didnt feel any air leaking out, but didnt really check either, i just wiped the oil from where it was all over the case and bottom of the pipe. I didnt even notice the oil coming out of the end of the pipe until my brother put his bike behind mine while they were idling, and there was a good spray of oil over it afterwards. and yes, we backed the check bolt out all the way for the transmission oil, because it doesnt come out otherwise plus that is what it said to do in the manual.

I would also recommend not running the stock piston a long time. They tend to break in this bike when pushed over the limit. We have had a much longer life with the weisco pistons. They are fairly cheap to replace.

For the Oil problem. You completly unscrew the small bolt out ( Im pretty sure its the one with the star top) there should be a very very little drip out of it, when the bike is straight up and down not tilting anywhere. Its achually pretty easy, just make sure you read the manual. I know it explains it pretty good. Re-read it.

Its normal for it to come out the end of the pipe. but not where it connects to the cylinder. You have a problem there. I sudgest get a new seal and new springs for the pipe. and re-jet the carburator. That should stop the "spooging" or excess oil. It's okay for it to smoke when it's warming up, and if your riding the bike. but if it does that and some "spooge" comes out the end of the silincer (end of pipe) than you might wanna lean it out again (re-jet)

As for the check bolt. i'm not sure. I got my CR from the dealership and they did this thing called P.D.I. It's where they drain all the oil (or put the correct ammout in) the motor, and fill it up to the correct ammount, and check over everything. Put some gas in it. and give it to you.

P.D.I Stands for Pre-Delivery Inspection, :thumbsup:

I do them at work...

For the Oil problem. You completly unscrew the small bolt out ( Im pretty sure its the one with the star top) there should be a very very little drip out of it, when the bike is straight up and down not tilting anywhere. Its achually pretty easy, just make sure you read the manual. I know it explains it pretty good. Re-read it.

Thats what i thought, so i guess the previous owner had it overfilled then.

with it being over filled, will that cause any damage to the engine, or just slow it down cause the rod has to go through so much more oil.

If the oil is coming out of the silencer and the pipe is it going to cause damage, or should we not ride it until we replace the gasket and springs.

also, by leaning it out, do you mean change the jets, adjust the idle screw, or put less oil in the mix.

600 cc is your oil change amount,I'm not sure with that year 80 but the 96-02 models didn't have o-ring gasket's at the head.

by leaning it out, do you mean change the jets, adjust the idle screw, or put less oil in the mix.

change the jets

you're confusing transmission oil with premix, the oil in your crankcase in for the transmission,the oil you mix in your gas is what's burned, unburnt premix oil will accumulate in your pipe, they all get that to some degree depending on your mix ratio and jetting

The CR85 oil limit is 600ml. I end up putting a little more than that in the bike. It will just come out of the oil peep hole, but not to much.

As far as the pipe leaking oil out.

#1 the o-rings needs to be replaced on the pipe.

#2 Did you buy the bike brand new? if so, the needle jet needs to replaced with the updated one. It should have come with your packet. or call your local dealer and ask him the part # for the needle jet. It will make a big difference on how the bike runs. We run ours 3rd clip down w/stock main jet. Pre-mix oil at 32:1, or 40:1 is ok. It really depends on the type of rider and how hard he/she is on ther gas!

Thanks for all the help guys. We went riding at rampart range last night, and it was a ton of fun. I rode the cr85, and wasnt able to climb the hills i climb on ttr 125 at all. is there a way to give a twostroke bike that low end power like the 4 strokes have. The cr85 is my older brothers first bike, and he could hardly handle the narrow powerband of the bike, so i ended up riding it all day. Also i dont have a ton of money, cause i am saving up for either a yz125 or a cr125.

Its hard to have too much low end for an 85. Get a shorty, you can also gear lower for more low end power. Porting is only about $150-200 and can def. increase low end power.

We changed the oil completely, but we read the manual, and it said to open the check bolt and a little oil should come out. when we opened it up a ton of oil came out. the person we bought it from is pretty expirienced, so im not sure if was just reading wrong, or he didnt fill it right. so how high should the oil level be you think.
Some people tend to overfill the trans in an effort to make it work better. We always filled with the recommended amount and didn't bother with the check bolt. Never had a problem.
Also we are new to 2 strokes, and we wondering if it was normal for burned oil to leak from the part of the pipe where it connects to the engine. and also shoot out the back of the pipe.
When you have the jetting right, you won't get any "spooge". We're at 5,300 ft and our '03 CR85 oozed like crazy until we jetted according to the manual; the jetting chart was spot on. Given that you're in CO you're probably at altitude so if your bike is running stock jetting, you'll get a lot of spooge. I recommend rejetting for your elevation/temps according to the manual.
I rode the cr85, and wasnt able to climb the hills i climb on ttr 125 at all. is there a way to give a twostroke bike that low end power like the 4 strokes have. The cr85 is my older brothers first bike, and he could hardly handle the narrow powerband of the bike, so i ended up riding it all day.
My son went from an '04 CRF100 to his '03 CR85 and had quite a difficult time adjusting to the CR power characteristics. You could try a pipe, porting, etc., but basically it's a high RPM engine. You and your brother just need some seat time to get familiar with using the clutch to modulate the power. You can also go up 1 - 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. As for hill climbs, our '03 would haul my 165 lb but around extremely well; it's all a matter of learning how to use what you have.

OK u cant really change the whole top end thing, get use to it and use the clutch i do, and the oil leaking from the pipe does no damage or harm, its fine dont waste money, ive been riding it for a year before i got my rm85 didnt break once or ne thing and i was racing it, and we got a new pipe seal and orings still leaked it does on almost all cr85's. Hope u have fun and dont take their advice, and the best thing u should get for low end is a v-force 3 dont spend like 250 on the engine, its better with top, unless u like doing like tight trails and crap, but for tracks desert its great.

I do alot of trail riding and very steep hill climbs on my ttr 125. This cr85 is more of my brothers bike than mine, and he isn't too great yet. I plan on racing next season, on either a yz 85 or a yz 125. most of the places i ride you have to climb straight up though, because at rampart the trails are very narrow and going left or right wil just lead you into a tree.