Efi

Instead of a carb there is an electrotically controlled injection system that basically sprays fuel into the air being sucked in using a fuel pump. I'm not sure if the new bikes with EFI have throttle body injection (where the fuel is sprayed into the air intake) or if it sprays directly at the back of the intake valves. EFI is much more easy to tune. Just plug in a controller and tune it. No more jets or tools for a perfectly tuned engine.

Read this to get a better understanding

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection1.htm

Instead of a carb there is an electrotically controlled injection system that basically sprays fuel into the air being sucked in using a fuel pump. I'm not sure if the new bikes with EFI have throttle body injection (where the fuel is sprayed into the air intake) or if it sprays directly at the back of the intake valves. EFI is much more easy to tune. Just plug in a controller and tune it. No more jets or tools for a perfectly tuned engine.

Read this to get a better understanding

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection1.htm

I couldn't have put it better ? It also lets your bike run upside down if you ever decide you want to try it! = no fuel bowl/floats

While Electronic Fuel Injection has definite upsides, there are also problems people will need to deal with .

Fuel injection needs an electronic fuel pump and various electronic sensors all of which can have problems.

Most riders have a hard enough time adjusting valves on their 4 stroke let alone trying to find out if the reason for

a poor run condition is a sensor that is out of range such as a coolant temp or mass air flow sensor. These systems are also voltage sensative

which may require some sort of battery system. It will be very interesting to see what types of systems the manufacures will be using.

As with most new technologies there will be trade offs.

Lars

ASE cert. master technician

While Electronic Fuel Injection has definite upsides, there are also problems people will need to deal with .

Fuel injection needs an electronic fuel pump and various electronic sensors all of which can have problems.

Most riders have a hard enough time adjusting valves on their 4 stroke let alone trying to find out if the reason for

a poor run condition is a sensor that is out of range such as a coolant temp or mass air flow sensor. These systems are also voltage sensative

which may require some sort of battery system. It will be very interesting to see what types of systems the manufacures will be using.

As with most new technologies there will be trade offs.

Lars

ASE cert. master technician

good post....thankfully, a lot of the work in this arena has been done for sportbikes already. I'm now a complete beleiver in the technology. My WR is the first carbeurated bike I've owned, and I definitely see the advantages to FI...Cannondale experimented with FI dirtbikes, and from what I've heard, the FI system was pretty impressive...The only issues I've heard were a few cases due to water...which should be easily remedied...

Might be overkill on a bike that has no real electrical system though...lots of added stuff for a sometimes small benefit...

These systems are also voltage sensative

which may require some sort of battery system.

I think they will use some sort of batteryless EFI system similar to what Arctic Cat uses on snowmobiles.