Sign in to follow this  

Heavyweight

I weigh 225 lbs. and was wondering if I bought a 450 how hard it would be to set it up for my weight. I was also considering a 250, but I don't know if it is enough bike for my weight. I would not be racing, except against my buds. Does anyone have any opinions?

It's all relative...but it's not hard to set up for your weight. I'm 245 lbs. and did all of the suspension work myself (first time taking apart a motorcycle and i didn't have any help!) It all depends on how much you want to spend. I did the race tech gold valve suspension all the way around, and changed out all of my springs. It took me about 3 hours in total to do. Since I did it in the 3 hours my first time taking the bike apart, I'm sure a pro could do it under 2.

First off - dont even think of getting the 250 - way too small for you. One of my riding buddies is 6'5", ~240. He's got a stock '05 CRF450R and all we've done is set the race sag, and the bike works great for him - he rides like a man possesed on that thing! We know he may be better off with a re-valve and some stiffer springs, but he doesnt seem to think it's worth the $$ So, basically, I'd say get the 450, set the sag (imperative!!) and upgrade as time and $$ permits - the suspension mods are not crucial! Hope this helps... (Always remember - it's 75% rider, 25% bike...)

I weigh 225 lbs. and was wondering if I bought a 450 how hard it would be to set it up for my weight. I was also considering a 250, but I don't know if it is enough bike for my weight. I would not be racing, except against my buds. Does anyone have any opinions?

Only choice, 450. I probably weigh in the neighborhood of 220 w/gear. Set the sag and go. Unless of course you're fast, then you might want to consider springs.

I was the same way at first. I set the sag and went...loved the bike!!! It wasn't until I had a little extra money to burn that I decided to do the suspension upgrade. I could not believe it! It was an amazing difference and worth every penny. So yeah, you can ride without suspension upgrades and still do fine and love the bike. But down the road when you get extra money, do the suspension like I did. The handling and ride are just amazing.

Thanks for the input guys, I think it is pretty cut and dry. 450 it is.

Check your free sag after you set your race sag, I think that you will find the springs on the front and back are too light for you :thumbsup: . I have an 04 and am a 215lb intermediate vet rider. When I changed to .49 springs in the front and 5.7 on the rear I could tell a large difference. More travel to soak up the big stuff and the bike would ride higher in the stroke, so it feels plusher over the small stuff. I kept the valving the same (stock valving from Honda is pretty good for me) but have the oil and seals checked out/replaced every 20 - 30 hrs or so.

It will set you back about $180 to buy the right springs for you. For me it was well worth it! :thumbsup:

I'm about 230 with gear and I went with .49 springs up front and 385cc oil and 5.7 on the rear. The honda valving is actually very good and I was very happy with this set-up.

I am 220 dry and have been thinking about the springs too. I had to crank the preload way more than I would have liked to to get the sag down around 105mm. The suspension just doesn't seem right. I am really trying to put some money away to have the front and rear done.

By the way, I rode a YZ250f for the first time a couple weekends ago and I had to rev the piss out of it to get it to go with my fat a$$ on it. The 450 is the whole reason I went to a 4 stroke. You won't regret it.

i'm currently pushing 220 ... i've got a stiffer rear shock spring ... and MB1 suspension ... and the 450 has plenty of get-up-and-go.

I also have a 2005 yz250 with race tech suspension (heaver rear spring). I love the 250 for woods riding just because it's light ... coasts over roots and rocks ... and is overall a 'bit less maintenance.

But there's no comparison ... the 450 beats my 250 every time in terms of torque .... getting over the proverbial double out of a corner, etc.

For racing / jumping I'll pick the 450 everytime ... for goof around tight woods riding, I might want my 250.

what do you think it should cost to do a revalve and springs???

Looking at doing it soon...

thanks,

I am 6'3 215 and I just sold my 04 cr 250 because I felt like it did'nt have enough power for me. I did'nt notice it at first until I took it to the dunes in southern oregon. After I came back I sold it to my brother who is 5'10 180. The suspension was never set up right for me either on that bike.

A friend of mine was riding an 04 crf450, which I was able to ride and compare the two side by side. The 450 was a lot more fun and I did not have the power issues.

It could have been just how my 250 was set up, but I liked the 450 a lot more.

Ever watch supercross? Subway/Hondas' Jason Thomas (#31) is a local boy and his Dad, Frank Thomas does my major work. Frank is a retired Honda tech with a bazillion years experience. I just switched from a full factory connection-suspended CR250R to an '04 CRF450R and Frank said all I need to do is MAYBE upgrade the rear spring and fork springs. $200 for both ends for springs. I weigh 250 in full gear and love to jump. The Honda fork and shock valving is pretty much spot-on once you set your compression and rebound settings. :thumbsup:

If you can get the sag right and still have enough freestanding sag, ride it. However, if it's topping out or you have to crank the spring down below the minimum length, get a stiffer spring. RaceTech has a spring calculator on their website which is helpful.

If you're just out riding with the buds, I'd only concern myself with the rear. I like a plush frontend and stiffening the front springs can take some of that away. If you have to go really stiff, you'll take a beating on sharp edged bumps, whoops, etc.

I'm not in complete agreement on the "have to get a 450" idea. Had you said you wanted to race, fine, you're a bit heavy for the 250. However, since you're just riding, I'd recommend riding one/both first. My buddy has a KTM 250 SXF and I am WAY too heavy for that thing but it is a blast! You can hammer that thing and never feel out of control. My 450, on the other hand, is a handful! :thumbsup:

Best of luck with whatever you decide on. :thumbsup: