smoking 06

I have a brand new 06 250f with less than 4 hours on the bike. B ut on start up after the bike has sat and cooled down for a while it smokes like and old freight train and stops after all the oil has burned off i assume. anybody else had this problem and if so what was it? Any input would be appreciated.

I heat cycled the motor several times before even riding it and then on the first ride took it on a desert trip and rode the bike very easy for the first hour. i broke it no differant than any of my other 4 bikes.

Exactly what you shouldnt have done. Your already at a disadvantage with the factory build. Babying it on break it is not going to help either. Its not going to let the rings seal properly. I broke mine in hard, it still burns a tad, but nothing big.

When its time to tear your motor down for a rebuild. Hone the cylinder, put the piston in DRY (no oil), and then break in it like you stole it.

I bet you wont burn anymore oil. ?

I heat cycled the motor several times before even riding it and then on the first ride took it on a desert trip and rode the bike very easy for the first hour. i broke it no differant than any of my other 4 bikes.

"You broke it in no different than any of my other 4 bikes" ?

You broke it in completely wrong obviously. As Dark mentioned your at a disadvantage anyhow with them lubricating the piston rings and then you go and run it in easy? When people say HARD I think people automatically think, "abusing it", what we mean is normally, as to what you would ride the bike, but compared to the conventional method (easy) it is running the bike "hard". When I run my piston in I put low quality oil in the engine, non-synthetic, run it up and down a long stretch of road which has an incline at the end and use the torque through all the gears for about 30 mins.

After this time, I run fully synthetic in both parts of the bike and that's it.

The bike hasn't burned any oil since then, it's great... ?

At least your wise for the future :confused:

Ive broken in a CRF both ways. One riding it very hard, and one very easy. Also, both had the piston assembled wet. Both came out exactly the same, which was a good thing because neither smoked afterwards. This may not be the correct way to do it but its the way we have always done it, and it works fine for us. The only time Ive ever had a bike smoke was because valve guide seal went bad, which may be your problem. I know one of our bikes had this problem straight from the dealer. It would smoke after starting the bike after it had sat for a while. It would smoke until all the oil was burned off, and then be normal until next time you started it.

If you are getting oil on start up, it has nothing to do with the rings....you have bad/worn valve guides or more likely a bad valve guide seal or seals. When you let it sit, oils drips slowly into the combustion chamber and than is burnt on start up and than you don't notice it anymore. I would bring it back to the dealer.

Worst thing you can do from a performance standpoint, too bad the owner's manuals are simply wrong..... ?

The higher tech and higher compression little 4-strokes need special attention to get it right.....

Whats up with all the honda problems, looks like there all junk.

Be safe stay away from the red bikes!!

Silly boy, all the bikes are good, done wrong, any bike will run poorly and burn oil. Even the "mighty" MXA got it wrong (and still do) saying the original 2004 CRF250 was an oil burner....it is if you have a poor ring seal. Done right, it will not lose ANY oil over a 5 hour period. Mine never did. Ever.

For the record, MXA sucks ahahahahah...it's an AD RAG that's all...