holes in the right side of airbox

First of all can i say what a site ? i have been reading things and have learnt alot about my drz so here goes my first ever post,i am getting ready to change the standard exhaust and jet the carb and do the airbox mod.I have just brought an 05 drz sm airbox(good old ebay)but i have noticed that there is 7 holes 18 mm diameter in the right side of the airbox and 1 hole on the top next to the snorkel and my 05 drz sm has not got these holes.What i would like to know is can i still cut a 3x3 hole in the top of the airbox with the holes in the side or will it be too much air many thanx for all your help ?

There is some point at which more holes in the airbox will have no effect. The other components in the system--air filter and the airbox boot--will come into play. If you have all those extra holes, you should probably just skip the 3x3.

A 18mm hole is equal to about 0.386 square inches. 7 of those plus 1 in the top would equal about 3.09 square inches total. The snorkel is about 1.6 square inches, so you have about 4.7 square inches of air flow. The 3x3 is 9 square inches, so you have about 52% of the recommended square inches of open area, and need 4.3 sq in more.

I would not cut the 3x3 as that would give you too much square inches (my SM came with the top cut completely off, and I can verify that doing so has a negative affect!). You can remove the snorkel and open that area to 2-1/16"x2-1/16" (52.8mmx52.8mm) which will give you about 4.3 sq in

As an alternate if you want to leave the snorkel in place, you could drille two 42mm holes in the top. Each 42mm hole (roughly 1-5/8") is about 2.1 sq in.

ok many thanx for the help guys,I just brought another airbox because i didnt want to cut mine up so if i did decided to sell the bike i could supply the buyer with the standard set up as well ?