XR650R Gearing

I'm finding my 2006 XR650R is geared too tall. I'm only using about half of 4th gear. My question is what can I change my gearing to before having to replace the stock chain? I'm thinking I'd like to go with 13/50 gearing. Would I still be able to use the stock chain with this gearing?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, I didn't see it when I tried a search.

Thanks,

Andrew

i went to a 13/51 and the chain was too small. i bought a new chain and i didn't like the gearing. It was too short. I compromised and went to a 14/51 and found it to be a perfect match. BTW the 13/51 gearing topped out about as fast as a yz250 two smoke on the top end.

I'm finding my 2006 XR650R is geared too tall. I'm only using about half of 4th gear. My question is what can I change my gearing to before having to replace the stock chain? I'm thinking I'd like to go with 13/50 gearing. Would I still be able to use the stock chain with this gearing?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, I didn't see it when I tried a search.

Thanks,

Andrew

No. You need a 112 link chain.

13/51 is damn extreme if you ask me. I run 14/50(only two up on the rear) and it works fine in the tight New England woods. 14/51 would be the most I would do. After that 3rd gears becomes too short and 4th gear just doesn't cut it for trail cruising. With the 14/51 3rd gear becomes like (D) drive in a car and you just go.

My BRP mounts 14/48, I reckon yours too.

Why don't you go for a 13/48 as first step, it's a cheap and quick modification, no need to change chain.

After that you will realize if you need something shorter.

Uncleroby

Good advice.

With the 14/50 or 51 you will need another chain. I, however, don't think you'll go back to the 14/48 anyhow and the smaller countershaft sprocket will wear on you slider more. Although, the downside to increasing your rear sprocket tooth count is that the axle spacers will need to be moved out more to accomodate the new, longer chain which puts your rear tire out farther and hinders cornering as the wheelbase is elongated. I may go back to the stock 48 tooth rear sprocket and just chuck a 13 tooth on there for the tight woods riding and put the 14 or 15 tooth back on for faster riding. It is much quicker and easier to do than the rear. Just keep an eye on your chain slider for wear, that's all. ?

I agree with the 13/48 setup. I used it in tight Florida woods/trails and found it to be about perfect for tight/slow stuff. First gear is low enough that you can damn near idle around with no clutch. One tooth on the front is ~= to 3 teeth on the rear. So, one tooth change on the front will make a noticeable difference in gearing.

On the other hand, if your complaint is only the excessive top end speed and not necesarily that the lower gears are too tall, then adapt to the 14/48 gearing. The 650R simply has ALOT of top end that's hard to use anywhere but in the desert or on the street.