Who's running what...tires that is.

I know, not another tire thread, but...

I'm looking to replace an almost shot Dunlop 756 rear on my DRZ 400. I will probably do 50/50 on/off road here in Central Oregon. Maybe a little more dirt than street. I don't care about DOT. It's mostly desert here as far as terrain goes.

What do you run?

Where did you get it?

How much?

Thanks for your input.

I run 756 rear and Pirelli MT18HD front. 756 hooks-up great but won't last long. MT18 is very tough and lasts a long time but I find it has to be ridden very aggressively to hook-up.

When I had a dual sport, I ran the Pirelli MT21's. Good tire for everything I needed to do, plus gave me DOT compliance.

Since you're not worried about DOT, then it really depends upon what type of riding and what do you value the most--traction or long lasting rubber.

Most of the riding I do is in muddy conditions. I've had great success with Bridgestone 201's (front tire for soft terrain), 401's (front tire for intermediate) and 402 (rear tire for intermediate). The 401/402 have lasted the longest I've ever had tires on my bike. Over 6 months, now. This combo works well in just about anything.

If I'm doing a race on wet clay or sandy conditions, then I opt for the 201 front or a Dunlop 773 front. The 773 wears very quickly, but provides the best traction for slimy hard packed clay I've ever tried. The knobs act like ice picks.

The next item is, where do you buy tires at a good price? Shop around. Some local "hole in the wall" shops offer great deals on tires that often are not advertised. I have also found Pro Caliber in Vancouver to offer the best price for the expensive Pirelli's. I bought a complete set for $110 a few years back. Same set cost me almost $200 at a Puget Sound shop.

Run the Maxxis Desert IT on the rear, you can air it down and get real good traction in the desert and 1/2 way decent traction everywhere else, it will maintain tread for ever, (I just put 400+ plus miles on one in Odessa and it still looks new), no chunking and extra stiff carcass so flats are very rare if ever :thumbsup: The downside is that they can be a :thumbsup: to mount.

I'll tell you what front tire NOT to put on..... the Maxxis Desert IT :bonk: I don't know how the rear could be so good and the front so bad but it's true :bonk: It will slide out with the slightest bit of agression in a turn. I think I'll start a fire with it :confused:

I got the 120/18 from the TT Store for $56.00 but I heard you can get them cheaper through Rocky Mountain.

I have some of these KEN_K270_FRONT.JPG Kendas (K270)

on my DRZ400S. WAY better than the stock tires. I use the DRZ some

on pavement, some on trail-but mostly logging/skid roads. the K270's

would last a lot longer than a full knobby like the D756 and are only $80

at RM for front and rear. But also wont be as good if your doing mostly

trail especially the "harder stuff"...

I have tried a lot of different tires and keep coming back to the 756's as my choice of non DOT tire. I run them on my 06. I run a 606 rear and Pirelli Scorpion pro front on my dual sport now, both DOT tires. They work pretty well but the 606 isnt as good as the 756, but I want DOT tires on my dual sport.

I was recently told that DOT tires are not actually legally required for the road. Does anyone know if this is true? About a month ago I got into a discussion with a rider on the trail and he informed me of the change.

I am not as concerned about what some agency says as I am about what the law actually states. :thumbsup:

I was recently told that DOT tires are not actually legally required for the road. Does anyone know if this is true? About a month ago I got into a discussion with a rider on the trail and he informed me of the change.

I am not as concerned about what some agency says as I am about what the law actually states. :thumbsup:

Nick, I heard a similar rumor... something about only needing DOT for highway use, but not for surface streets. I too would like to know what the law actually says about that.

Brad-

I'm running a Parelli up front, Maxxis IT in the back. Just did the Ironman in WA a couple weekends ago and it hooked up like a dream.

Best o' luck.....

Jeff

It would be interesting to see what the Department of Transportation handbook has to say on it. It was my understanding that by the letter of the law (not many officers will hold you to it, unless you make them mad.) is that everything has to be DOT approved including lights and tires. I believe the nation wide DOT interpretation supersedes state, county and city laws. I personally havent found much information in the DOT book on motorcycle equipment standards, especially when you are talking of a bike that has been converted to dual sport.

I have a drz 400s and I have to say, I really like the mich M12 up front. the side wall is a little soft but it gets good where doesn't chunk out vary fast and handles the street pretty well too. With out question, I don't care what anyone says, the Tera-flex rear tire is great for the drz400 bikes. Its a monster DOT and guaranteed 60 miles on a flat ( might as well be flat being I run mine at 4 psi in the woods). I would also say unless you use tireballs or bib moose in your desert set up. the tera-flex would be a must. But you will get tons of traction and some guys don't like that much. Low-end torque riders loves this rear tire. www.tireballs.com and www.mandhtires.com www.onoffroad.com

I am running s12's as of right now, but I am converting over to sherkeas(sp?) from Tasky's metric cycle. They work great on my 450, and the front tire hooks up awsome in the mud/water . Oh ya the price is great. :thumbsup:

I am running s12's as of right now, but I am converting over to sherkeas(sp?) from Tasky's metric cycle. They work great on my 450, and the front tire hooks up awsome in the mud/water . Oh ya the price is great. :confused:

Spelled - Sakura. Skinner loves his but I'm not sure if they would wear too terribly long in the desert and asphalt :thumbsup: Your right, price is right, $50 I think up at Tasky's :thumbsup:

Spelled - Sakura. Skinner loves his but I'm not sure if they would wear too terribly long in the desert and asphalt :confused: Your right, price is right, $50 I think up at Tasky's :thumbsup:

I've been running a sakura rear on my 450 and really like it...

so far the sakura rear I have is holding up much better than a maxxis IT I bought. I have only 2 days of desert riding on the maxxis, 1 moto-x day, and 1 harescramble (JRs) and it is totally rounded, I pulled it off because it wasn't hooking up at all in the woods and was going to throw it back on for odessa (desert with lots of rocks) but never did.

the sakura rear has 2 days at odessa, race at eddieville, 2 days at mattawa (more desert), and several woods rides. the sakura has a few chunks missing now and bit rounded but still hooks up awesome (both in woods and desert) and has more rides left in it :thumbsup:

the sakura front I have on my 200 has numerous races and trail rides on it and still in good shape. it's not the best front I've ran, but for the money it's awesome.

I have some of these KEN_K270_FRONT.JPG Kendas (K270)

on my DRZ400S. WAY better than the stock tires. I use the DRZ some

on pavement, some on trail-but mostly logging/skid roads. the K270's

would last a lot longer than a full knobby like the D756 and are only $80

at RM for front and rear. But also wont be as good if your doing mostly

trail especially the "harder stuff"...

That's a cute tire. In actuality I'll probably be riding more dirt than road, but I know for sure I'd definitely need more knobbage than that. Thanks for the input though.

Any other suggestions?

M-12 front/S-12 rear

Not DOT compliant of course, and I'm afraid the S-12 rear would chunk pretty easily on pavement. I would only use it if your going to be at least 90% dirt. M-12 front would be good for probably 50/50. The grip of the M-12 is stellar everywhere.

Hello,

For what this is worth, me being a beginning off-roader (gravel roads, nothing technical or single-track) I have a '01 DRZ400 w/ D606. I have commuted to work through Tacoma in the rain and been above-mentioned gravel roads and have *zero* complaints. When I first got the bike, I was concerned about the knobbies on the street. But they have been great, even out on the freeway at 70+ mph.

I would get them again.

My 0.005¢

:crazy:

Reviving a dead thread.

Since I started this thread I have been running Dunlop 952's front and rear and a Trakmaster II rear. The Trakmaster wore pretty well and hooked up great too, even with a lot of pavement time. The Dunlops have been holding up really well and don't chunk. They get great traction all around and hold up well on the pavement, which I have done a buttload of. I have flatted the front 952 twice, even when running high pressure, 15-20 psi but it may have been a matter of me whacking some nasty rocks at high speeds and non heavy duty tubes. They wear pretty good in the front too and the knobs are just now getting too rounded for the dirt.

I'm going to replace the front today and was thinking about going with a Sakura Dirt Shark since they are so cheap and I don't plan on doing a lot of slabbing in the coming months. Any more feedback on the Sakura??

My favorite has to be the Pirelli Scorpion Pro front and Trakmaster II rear. Both seem to hook up well and last quite a long time. Both are DOT and handle pretty good on the street.