Sign in to follow this  

Baja stories?

Any of you ladies ever go to Baja to ride? (for SoCal riders it's a given, it's been their own personal playground for years!) Went down last year for the Baja 1000 and did a little riding on some of the course. Wow, that sure is a different place -you can take your dirt bike anywhere-no lights, no plates (ah, but helmet required for you Americans!). I saw little kids in town (San Felipe) on 4wheelers with NO gear! It's strange, but somehow when you leave, you can't wait to go back. The terrain is rough, sandy, silty, whooped out, with plenty of cactus! The pacific side of riding I'm told is much more picturesque. Didn't make it over that far. This year, we 'plan' to do more riding into the interior. Maybe make it to Mike's Sky Ranch. To those who have never been, the races there are something to experience! And yes, I did see 'Dust to Glory'- that's what sparked the whole thing for me! Anyway, I just thought it was an awesome place and wondered if any of you might have some stories to tell. :thumbsup:

Any of you ladies ever go to Baja to ride? ...

It's strange, but somehow when you leave, you can't wait to go back. The terrain is rough, sandy, silty, whooped out, with plenty of cactus! The pacific side of riding I'm told is much more picturesque. Didn't make it over that far.

I'd have to say that 3/4 of my riding mileage (maybe even more) has all been done in the Southern Baja and you're right about it addicting you! The Baja thing isn't just about the riding, it's about the adventure. Having said that, for actual riding I think I prefer the windy, forest riding in our area. I'm trying to get in more riding here as I think my techinical skills are better improved here. Baja is faster and not as windy, or at least the stuff we generally do (Southern Baja- near La Paz).

Also, I think I'd rather hit a tree ANYTIME instead of a cactus! I washed my gloves the other day and put them on and I got a darn cactus spine in my finger! Youch! Must have been hidden in there somewhere and moved.

If you're interested in seeing some pics, I have them at:

http://www.cablelan.net/vistaww/dirtbike/

I have some pics of one "Gals" ride but usually it's anybody who wants to ride (mostly guys).

Bajabound puts on a Baja "Hooters On Scooters" ride that i've always wanted to go on but just never seem to come up with the money or time. It sounds like a lot of fun!

http://www.bajaboundmoto.com/

http://www.bajaboundmoto.com/schedule/index.html

Not a gal but I raced the 1000 this year and everything you said is true.

What a place to and what an adventure. My loving lady has supported all of these south of the boarder adventures. I got her a CRF250X and she is now contiplating racing Baja as well. We take our toyhauler down and ride from camp but we talking about spending some nights out under the stars with just what we can carry on our bikes and backs. I would like to point out that my ladie is a tiny little upity suit durring the week and on weekends shes a dirt rider and maybe desert racer some day. Oh and we have had some great adventures. Simson hill, Mikes the creak crossings. El coyote... oh what adventures. :thumbsup::thumbsup::confused:

David G, sounds like you two have a bunch of fun. Good for you!

I would like to point out that my ladie is a tiny little upity suit durring the week and on weekends shes a dirt rider

I meant to ask- how little is little?? I see you say she's riding a CRF250.

She is 5'2 maybe 105lbs. She is pretty brave and is talking about starting to race as well. She has a way to go but she is going about it the right way. I started racing AMA District 37 and then added Score Baja 250, 500 and then the 1000. She will probably start the same way. We both love riding and racing in Baja. D37 has lots of slow rocky sections. Knowing that she can touch the ground is really a important to her. The likes of Simson hill are another example of where she needs to reach the ground to be confident and safe. The Whoops just north of San Felipe are a great training ground. I am working on lowering her seat height by 2.5" We are anxious to get back to Baja when I get her suspension on her new CRF250X sorted out for her. We are planning on setting up a base camp with our toyhauler and then taking several over night adventures into the desert and down the peninsula to La Paz.

Bajabound puts on a Baja "Hooters On Scooters" ride that i've always wanted to go on but just never seem to come up with the money or time. It sounds like a lot of fun!

:bonk: that's a terrific name!!! I've heard of this outfit but didn't know they had a women's ride!! I MUST go!!!!! thanks for the link! :thumbsup::thumbsup::confused:

You really don't need a tour group and all the expense. If you can get your bikes down there you can stay at Mikes Sky Ranch and plan trips out of there. I have not found one person that was less then happy to see or help us on our adventures.

Some one that knows the area and speaks spanish is however a must. Google earth is a great tool to plan your adventues. I should have Gisela get on here and let her tell you all of our experiances in Baja.

You really don't need a tour group and all the expense. If you can get your bikes down there you can stay at Mikes Sky Ranch and plan trips out of there. I have not found one person that was less then happy to see or help us on our adventures.

Some one that knows the area and speaks spanish is however a must. Google earth is a great tool to plan your adventues. I should have Gisela get on here and let her tell you all of our experiances in Baja.

we've thought about that-going out on our own-but to me, that seems kind of risky( but much cheaper!!). I've heard the crazy stories... don't know if they're true or not! e mi espanol es no bueno...How 'safe' is it to leave your rig parked out in the middle of nowhere?

Looks like staying at Mike's is the way to go-but I would think that place is packed in Nov. during race time and I'm not sure my TTR has enough guts to make that kind of a trip! btw- kudos to your lady-she IS brave!! let's hear from her! More stories !!! :thumbsup:

I told Gisela to chime in so maybe she will this evening.

Yeah she is brave She take off on my XR650R and disapears. God help her if she crashes. She could not kick the bike over let alone get it started if her life depended on it. Mike is a great home base at least for beginner adventures. Very safe.

Just don't leave you anything out side over night in town with out major locking systems. The trails around Mikes are as challenging as you are willing to take on.

But lots of cool dirt roads that make for easy long rides. A GPS is a must! I have never had any bad experiances other then my own stupidity. Everyone we have ever met has been very nice and supportive and some have gone way over board to help us.

Someone that speaks spanish is a must however. If there were several folks that wanted to give it try we could corrdinate a time that we would be there. But I would rather your work with Gisela on that being I am a guy and all.

David G

Hey, glad I found you. We live in No. CA and ride a lot of high desert, but we're looking into a Baja riding trip next Feb. or Mar. and I think it looks very do-able for me (intermediate, lowered 250X rider), but would appreciate some feedback from women who've ridden there.

I'm used to sand, single track and rocks. Somedays I like to be challenged, some days, I am down with an easy, cruiser ride. Hoping there's enough variety on a 4 or 5 day ride to interest my speed-freak husband and challenge, but not terrify, me.

I have some pics of one "Gals" ride but usually it's anybody who wants to ride (mostly guys).

I am doing this ride for sure in April! Jennifer (Head Hooter) is fun to ride and take trips with. As I am sure the rest of the crew is. And it is always fun to ride with some hard core dirt girls on vacation. IM THERE AMIGOS!:thumbsup:

I have nothing but good things to say about Bajaboundmoto - we did their Hooters ride maybe 3 (?) years ago, it was a stone blast. I was a bit concerned about the daily mileage, having my longest ride prior being about 45 miles.... so I approached it with a don't think about it don't look at my odo til the end, we did 124 miles on the first day, comparable on the others the rest of the week. But much of it is on dirt roads, sand washes, pretty fast stuff - it was so much fun. Yes, you could do it on your own, but it was really nice to have a follow truck to haul your gear and knowing there was a hotel and cold beer waiting at the end of the day.

ahh I really wanna go down to baja. My parents think it'd be cool but they wanna go down in a group with some of our friends just so there's more than just us 3. And it'd be cool cuz my dad's mexican and he'd be our translator :worthy: One of our family members from mexico has done the Baja 500 with a baja bug like a class 12 or somethin, even though they don't have a multi-million dollar rig the say they always have a bunch of fun :thumbsup: that's what counts

After 14 years of Baja riding with my awesome hubby, talented (and very single) brother, and zillions of tacos.....the stories are endless:ride:

We got home last night from an epic 2 days of wet dirt, great company and about 250 miles.

The best story this time is of course about me :thumbsup:

Yesterday we stopped at the Saw Mill (Rancho Ramona's) for gas and refreshments and decided to play on a fallen log. In early Aug I rode with Sun in Colorado and couldn't stop telling the guys all about it. Well....my little brother says "OK Miss Colorado, let's see what you can do" and I killed it! (more than once)

Only a few riders in our group of 11 actually attemped the log and one was left to quiver in shame holding his groin after eating s**t on it, hope the huevos are better today Mark!

Hopefully I can post a photo of me clearing the log and making all the guys do this for the rest of the day :worthy::busted::blah:

I'm planning a fun ladies ride next April when the weather is perfect and Baja is in bloom. PM me for details! :D:doh: Jennifer Morton

Jen,welcome home "Rookie of the Year!" YOU STUD!

Cant wait for April!

Hey Jen, you may want to let the girls know your racing the Baja 1000 with Anna Cody. Dont be so modest! We hope to put together a fund raiser/women's weekend for the team next month in Ocotillo. We will post details as soon as they are dialed in. Hope you all can make it!

I thought my story was anything but modest.

Looking forward to the next woman's ride day, hopefully I can get my Baja 1000 partners to come out and meet ya'll.

They are great ladies and we can use all the moral support we can get in the very male dominated sport of Baja racing :thumbsup::worthy: