06 WR450F lowering question

You can lower it also at no costs by lowering the forks and the rear shock.

Forks - loosen the triple clamp bolts and move the forks up.

Rear shock - screwing the spring nuts up ?

Check out your manual for more details.

Just bought the new 06 wr450f and was wondering if anyone had any quick and easy ways to lower the bike about 1-2 inch's?

Do it properly - take it to a suspension tuner. AKA supermoto lowering. I got this done to my girly's bike.

Get the suspension lowered, new springs (if you need them) and a revalve.

Spend the money, it is the best mod you could do. ?

Just bought the new 06 wr450f and was wondering if anyone had any quick and easy ways to lower the bike about 1-2 inch's?

I just had my bike lowered by Straight Line Performance in Canyon Country. Kenny made spacers for the forks and shock. Cost about $300 parts and labor. He's a small one man operation. Haven't had a chance to ride it too much yet, but so far it looks like he did a good job. After I get some time on the bike, I'm going to post my thoughts here on TT.

If you live in SoCal, give him a call 661 250-8346

I just had my bike lowered by Straight Line Performance in Canyon Country. Kenny made spacers for the forks and shock. Cost about $300 parts and labor.

? My god that's expensive! I hope you got a revalve as well for that kind of money!

I paid $70 Australian for lowering of the chickys bike, as you say, they are only spacers!

? My god that's expensive! I hope you got a revalve as well for that kind of money!

I paid $70 Australian for lowering of the chickys bike, as you say, they are only spacers!

Yes, you are right. The spacers are cheap, but have to be machined.

Considering the premier suspension shops here in the US wanted around $500 - 700USD, even if I sent them the parts, Kenny at Straight Line Suspension took the bike and did all the labor for less that $300. I did not have him revalve. We decided it wasn't necessary for my ride style and size.

Actually, you Australian guys are the ones that got me looking around more to find a cheaper option here. Thanks! ?

• 8 years later...

I just had my bike lowered by Straight Line Performance in Canyon Country. Kenny made spacers for the forks and shock. Cost about $300 parts and labor. He's a small one man operation. Haven't had a chance to ride it too much yet, but so far it looks like he did a good job. After I get some time on the bike, I'm going to post my thoughts here on TT.

If you live in SoCal, give him a call 661 250-8346

I Live in Santa Clarita and I've had Kenny do work for me & been very satisfied. Unfortunately Kenny has passed away due to medical complications. He will be missed.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I suspect the reason for the large difference in price is the method of lowering. $70 might get you a new rear link and the forks slid up, while $300 could be shortened forks so you don't need to worry about the wheel going too far up. 

My friend just bought a 2006 Yamaha WR 450. I've lowered the suspension as far as possible & shaved the seat. He's trying to lower the bike another 1-2". I am having difficulty finding a lowering link for this bike. Kouba says they no longer make a link for this bike. I Can't find a manufacturer that makes a link for this bike. Please help.

My friend just bought a 2006 Yamaha WR 450. I've lowered the suspension as far as possible & shaved the seat. He's trying to lower the bike another 1-2". I am having difficulty finding a lowering link for this bike. Kouba says they no longer make a link for this bike. I Can't find a manufacturer that makes a link for this bike. Please help.

You sure you want one. It messes up the way the suspension works. It's much better to send the shock out or do it yourself with lowering spacers.

An extra- Low profile seat, and more experience.........

Anything you do to the suspension you will be un-doing in short order, as it ruins the handling.

Do NOT lower the rear by softening the spring pre-load. That is guaranteed to make you understeer dramatically, and probably crash.

Getting the rear sag setting correct is critical to getting the bike to handle in a neutral manner.

Anything you do to the suspension you will be un-doing in short order, as it ruins the handling.

Do NOT lower the rear by softening the spring pre-load. That is guaranteed to make you understeer dramatically, and probably crash.

Getting the rear sag setting correct is critical to getting the bike to handle in a neutral manner.

Agreed. I think the key point is experience. I am a smaller rider and have been riding bigger bikes for a long time. At least for me, I usually spend a lot of time in "static practice" with a new bike. I did treat myself to a custom seat for my 2014 wr450, had Fisher (http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html) do it and I am very pleased it was pricey though but great quality. Fisher took off about 1 1/2 inches from stock but widened it a bit and used better foam than the "crushed rocks" and seat pan that comes stock especially if you shave it.

He is 55 y/o and wants to get back on the saddle again. He hasn't road in 20 years and is 300+lbs. He's having a hard time getting his leg over the seat when he mounts the bike. Edited by luv2ride2

You sure you want one. It messes up the way the suspension works. It's much better to send the shock out or do it yourself with lowering spacers.

How much would it lower the bike if I sent the shock in & put in spacers? What would this cost apprx?

How much would it lower the bike if I sent the shock in & put in spacers? What would this cost apprx?

Pretty much any amount you want. But I would not go too low as it affects handling. I really don't know the prices. I did it my self with Racetech spacers. Probably talk to Racetech or another shop.

Edited by stevethe