Sign in to follow this  

What was the worst bike you have ever owned?

My worst was one I didn't get to ride:

I was moving up from my SL70 and wanted a 100. What I really wanted was a last-year's-model Yamaha MX100 that I could have had new from the dealer for a decent sum. I had a few hundred $ to put in but my dad was a little strapped from divorce proceedings so he couldn't help much. No Yamaha.

So, from the Swapsheet we found two Hodies. One was a 1974 Rat (when they went to orange- or was that 75?), bone stock and probably not ridden much.

The other was a 197???? chrome toaster model Ace 100 that had been worked over by the best(?). Ported to the bone (even the Schnurl gouges up the side of the cylinder) G.E.M. reed valve, TM125 pipe (no silencer- ouch!). Parts mixed and matched from several sources.

The kicker was the Kendick pumper carb. My dad the engineer and hot-rod builder got wood when he saw that and insisted that I skip the stocker and buy the souped-up one.

Managed to ride that thing exactly three times - the airboot was Frankensteined onto the pumpercarb and held in place by duct tape. I think we had an airleak which then seized the cyclinder.

Put a clamp-on Uni-filter on after that. Dirt got past it plus still too much air, and that friggen carb was a nightmare to start.

Gave up, dropped the cylinder off at the shop. Bored out to probably last-over (even the Schnurls more or less disappeared). Put a 24mm Mikuni on.

Never got it started or rode it. Gave it to a good friend who found the air leak at the base of the cylinder, epoxied it up, and ran the snot out of that bike for about three weeks until it blew up for the last time.

Photo here: Wild Hodaka with too-ready rider

Cant believe anyone has not thrown a Harley in here, and I love my Harleys. But I would 10 times rather ride a dirt bike. My worst was a 67 triumph Bonneville. It had the Limey Larcenous Lucas Curse big time.

I've never owned a bad bike. Started with a 1990 KTM 80cc, which was a good bike for its time in 1992 , Undersuspended compared to the Japanese bikes, but had a good fast motor. At only $850 bucks it was a steal, rode the wheels off of it for a year and sold it for the same price.

My brother on the other hand, for some reason, got sucked into buying a Maico 490 " Sand Spider" ... What a piece of crap that bike was.

I haven't heard much good about blasters.

i had 2 when i was little. never had a problem. good memories on those

Maybe I'm wrong here, shouldn't a worst bike be a bike that gave you problems. Just because your replacing one bike with another doesn't make the previous bike the worst. You should have problems, or at least some quirks with it to be considered the worst? Maybe your replacing a MX bike for an enduro, it doesn't mean the MX bike was the worst, it means you made the wrong choice.

LOL, Stop picking on the TM400. At least the bike ran, it was also the begining of the japanese revolution which meant you could ride all day with out working on it. So what, it threw you every time you rode it, that was part of the learning curve, LOL. So what, the frame cracked, we learned how to weld, LOL. All that mattered was that you could ride all day. If it weren't for Suzuki we might all still be riding Bultacos, Ossas,and Montesas.

You young guys don't know how lucky you are.

In the garage

2001 Ducati 996S

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R

2001 Yamaha WR250

2003 Suzuki RM100, daughters bike

2003 Kawasaki 650 Praire

2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM

1974 Suzuki TM400

2002 yz426 heaviest piece crap and hard to start i am now a die hard two-stroke fan

I love my 426...it's bulletproof. Sure, it's a little on the heavy side but mine starts first kick 95% of the time and it never takes more than two kicks. I guess you just gotta have the skillz... :ride:

Worst Bike? My dad's 1974 (1975?) Yamaha SC500. Yamaha only made them for two years...they took an MX360 and slapped a 500cc can on it (and I think the 360 was really an MX250 with a bigger can). No suspension, zero handling and lots of power...man, talk about head-swapping! Two stroker with a compression release, hard as hell to start, but worst of all it ate transmissions like crazy...spent more time working on it than riding. Some of my scariest riding moments were aboard that thing.

On a side note I had probably the coolest experience on that bike ever...I was 13 years old on that SC500 and riding up a short stretch of pavement to get to a gravel pit when a cop came around the corner and saw me. There was a huge pile of gravel on the side access road to keep vehicles out of the gravel pit and the cop knew that's where I was going so he tried to block me with his patrol car. He beat me there and as he was getting out of his car I rode around his car and hammered it up the pile of dirt/gravel...I will never forget looking back as I crested the pile...wet dirt and gravel on the cop and all over the hood of his patrol car! I rode to the thickest woods I could find and hid for an hour! :thumbsup:

1995 KTM 440 EXC- That bike hurt several people, I still flinch when I think about that bike in the woods. Lots of power that hit all at once.

The second coming of the Suzuki TM 400 :thumbsup:

1976 RM250. I don't know why....but it never really "fit" me all that well.

1970 something super rat 100 it was my first bike and I bought it way used. About every 15 minutes of riding you would have to pull the plug and clean it because it would weld a little bridge between the gap and thus no spark.

LOL, me too! I had Hodaka Ace 100B. I carried a plug wrench two or 3 plugs and a wire brush in the tool kit. It was the first bike I'd ridden and maintained myself so most it's problems were due to me not maintaining it.

PS> My dad had a TM400 and that thing was flat nasty. I rode it several times as a teen and that motor ripped! Of course the suspension was shit and you couldn't stop, but man did accelerate.

My bicycle? A Diamondback Viper X

My current and only bike is absolutely awesome.

I resent that, Montesas rule!! :thumbsup::ride:

Are you refering to the Montesas of the 80's and below or the newer HONtesas?

I don't know, spending months recovering from a ride on a tm 400 doesn't sound like any great dirtbike revolution to me. The only person that could ride that bike was Roger D. I did not own one, but I have to say probably one the worst dirtbikes ever built. My worst bike? 1972 Maico 400. Just lay it over on the left side,bend the shift shaft and get to split the cases to fix it.

No we are talking 70s

I'm just kidding with you UD LUZ, one of my first bikes was a Montesa 360 Cappra, also had a King Scorpion, man those bikes were pretty. Growing up in Brooklyn NYC, the only place to get parts was a Taxi stand that was also a Montesa dealer in Manhattan. Also had several Bultacos, 68 EL Bandido, and a Pursang. Do you have any vintage Montesas?

I remember that Yamaha SC500, those bikes were rare. I'll bet that bike is collectible.

In the garage

2001 Ducati 996S

2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R

2001 Yamaha WR250

2003 Suzuki RM100, daughters bike

2003 Kawasaki 650 Praire

2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM

1974 Suzuki TM400