Sign in to follow this  

tested out DRZ flat tracker

I finally had the chance to test out my flat track wheels on Sunday at the Hollister TT track. The bike seemed to handle great with the Conti dirt track tires and 19" wheels. Sliding seemed very predictable. I regret to say that I did manage to high side coming out of a tight left hander. It hurt pretty bad, but I think that it happened only because of the transition from soft to hard dirt at that part of the track. I saw two other accidents at that part of the track within a half hour of mine. Also, I think that I will need to get a steering damper to cure the head shake problem I was having.

The head shake you are getting may be due to the forks flexing. We run a complete different front end and frame on our bikes. A good triple clamp would help if you have the stock DRZ front end and your suspension might be setup on the soft side. I assume you are still running standard length forks and rear shock.

Originally posted by shanbro:

I finally had the chance to test out my flat track wheels on Sunday at the Hollister TT track. The bike seemed to handle great with the Conti dirt track tires and 19" wheels. Sliding seemed very predictable. I regret to say that I did manage to high side coming out of a tight left hander. It hurt pretty bad, but I think that it happened only because of the transition from soft to hard dirt at that part of the track. I saw two other accidents at that part of the track within a half hour of mine. Also, I think that I will need to get a steering damper to cure the head shake problem I was having.

Sounds cool, I really like flat tracking my DRZ. I have 19s and Contis too. I also have a GPR steering damper and re-valved suspension with stiffer springs (I'm 225#s). The damper really makes it stable. I even got a couple trophies at a 1/2 mile this summer, left the 250 2 strokes behind, except for that damn 15 year old kid!?!

Have you ever run at Lodi? My buddy said that was the most fun track he ever raced at. You also should try some SuperTT, which is like a TT with some pavement added. The dirt track tires work great. They had some races in NorCal this year, check out SuperTT.com for next years schedule.

Have fun! :)

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: PeteN ]

Forks and shock are standard length with stiffer springs. I've never tried lodi, but it looks like I have a mild fracture in my elbow so it will probably be a while.