Good, bad, ugly....

Hey everybody,

Just got back from a great long weekend of riding with the DRZ. The weather is wicked once again up here anyways... :confused:

A few pics for ya.... but first...... does anybody have a RH radiator for a 2003 DRZ400e ?!? That is before I shell out $345 CND for a new one. :bonk:

My last ride before heading home, I clipped the end of a tree hanging onto the trail and somehow it broke off and swung around right through the rad ? Seems to me a few of you have been stressing about armor for those things...... :bonk: rad guards were the next item on my shopping list too...... little too late. ?

Oh well, enjoy the pics. :bonk:

P1020143-1.jpg

P1020142-1.jpg

P1020139-1.jpg

P1020145-1.jpg

That hill looks a lot worse from the top than it does from the bottom. Is it the same hill?

Yes it is the same hill. There were many chutes going out of there but that was the easiest of the bunch. I tried two different hills - DRZ ripped them both up ? The other ones were near vertical and not a lot of room at the bottom to get any speed.

Try Mylers in Utah, they work miracles on radiators. I don't know the link but you can bet somebody here does. pdawg

I did look at their site - it seems they can repair bent or warped rads but what about a 1.5" hole ? I was thinking to snap a pic of the damage and email it to Mylers to see what they think before I ship it. Thanks!

A hole should be no problem, they will just fit a new core to your tanks.

Much cheaper than a new rad, you could spend the difference on some armour for your DRZ.

Neil. ??:confused:

I guess the rad is useless as it sits so I'll send her away - can't hurt.

They are supposed to have a good turn around too. I'll be sure to get some before and after pics if they're able to fix it. Thanks Neil!

Like I said armor is definitely in the future. I opted for the case savers first. Any recommendations for the rad guards? Devol and Unabiker seem to be popular.

I've heard good and bad things about the Unabiker. I use the Works Connection rad braces and my rads are still straight after many many get offs. Of course, I've heard good and bad things about the Works Connection braces as well.

Where in AB are ya? When I was in Calgary, I rode Mclean Creek and Waiporous all the time. Now that I'm in the Edmonton area, we usually ride Cadomin, Nordegg, Robb and the Rocky Mtn House area.

BTW - we ride the same bike as well...but mine is green.

Well i was going through some mud the other day and a tree jumped out in front of me from the side of the trail, it grabbed my bars and my radiator, i went over the bars, off the tree, and down a ditch, my shroud was ripped off but the unabikers saved the rad with narry a bend ? I got up, cried like a baby, limped back to my DRZ, rigged the shroud back on and decided it was time for some more, had 4 more get offs that day in the mud and my radiators are fine, later after i started to stiffen up I decided i had better do something safe like the MX track ?

Where in AB are ya? When I was in Calgary, I rode Mclean Creek and Waiporous all the time. Now that I'm in the Edmonton area, we usually ride Cadomin, Nordegg, Robb and the Rocky Mtn House area.

BTW - we ride the same bike as well...but mine is green.

I'm in Edmonton as well. I have been to all those places years ago - just getting back into riding again. I've been riding near Smith and Slave Lake recently. Cadomin is always a great place to go. ?

I have to give a big thumbs up to the unibikers. I just got my bike and wanted to protect it up and went with them. I had a few questions once I had the guards so I emailed unibiker. I expected an answer in a day or so since it was after normal bussiness hours. Not so, the first one was answered in 30 minutes and the next one was answered in about 15 minutes.

I was all set up and good to go. I have only gone down once on the bike with them, I wrecked the front brake lever and scratched up the plastic but the guards did their job. ?