Sign in to follow this  

MIDGETS ON DRZS

I'M GOING TO SPRING AND REVALVE THE SUSPENSION ON MY 01 "E". I'M AFRAID OF THE HEIGHT THOUGH. WITH THE STOCK STUFF IT SITS LOW ENOUGH FOR ME TO REACH THE GROUND.(I'M 5'7") WITH THE PROPER SPRINGS, IT WILL TEND TO SIT HIGHER. DOES ALPINESTAR MAKE ELEVATOR SHOES?

Check out Koubalink.com. They make a wide variety of links to custom set your seat height. Mine are awesome!!

Hey guys, midgets??? I always told everyone I was 5'6". I shrunk!!! I am 5 feet 5.5 inches now!!!! Talk about shrinkage!!! (The water was not that cold...) I couldn't believe it. I asked to be measured 3 times, same result. The koubalinks and a lower gel seat (not received yet) did it for me. I would say get the bike to a comfortable height for you, then play with the suspension. I will be installing Race-tech cartridge emulators in my S forks next, now that I am very comfortable on my bike. The shock will come after.

I knew that some people "shrink" with age but I'm only 43. I guess falling on my head too often didn't help...

Johnnydrz

TAHNKS FOR THE HELP I'LL GO CHECK THE SITES OUT. GOOD THING THEY MAKE ELECTRIC START, OTHER WISE WE WOULD HAVE TO BUNGEE ON A MILK CRATE TO KICK START THESE SUCKERS.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET TO KOUBALINK.COM? I SEARCHED IT AND ALSO TRIED TO GO THERE DIRECTLY, I GET NOT AVAILABLE AND CANNOT FIND SITE. WHAT GIVES?

I am only 5'7" and also found the bike to tall

so i shaved 11/2" out of the saddle big difference

also adjusted sag to 100mm now no problems in the

tight,steep stuf.You may want to look into the

Kuba links but i think by changing them you may

loose some ground clearance i didnt want to loose

any that is the reason i shaved my seat.

AL !DRZ 400SSSSS

DIZZY,

HOW DID YOU SHAVE THE SEAT FOAM DOWN? ALSO, DOES THE SEAT COVER STILL FIT?

With a small flat-blade screwdriver, lift the existing staples to remove the old seat cover. Needle-nose pliers work best, once you lift the staple a bit.

Mark where you normally sit with a pen and then measure and namrk the amount you want to remove from this area(I cut 1'1/4")carefully on both sides. Taper to 0 as you move towards the front and rear.

Once your happy and you have a line on both sides

grab the electric calving knife and atart one end cutting the full width in one careful but positive move from one end to the other.

Pop the seat foam back on the bike and try it for size etc.

you have to smooth all the ripples you made with the knife and bevel the edges. For this I used some stuff from ther local hardwear store which was like an abrasive fine netting. It worked great. TFit the new seat cover over the foam, center it, and staple the front and back of the cover to the base, using quarter-inch, heavy-duty staplesThen heat the sides of the cover (a hot-air gun works best), pull tight and tack the midpoint on each side in place.4: Once you’ve got the cover positioned correctly and the midpoint of the sides tacked in place, work towards the tongue (front) of the seat on each side. You may have to remove staples and retack to work out wrinkles.5: Heat, pull and tack down each side, working towards the back from the midpoint. Trim the excess cover around the seat bracket holes and away from the front mount(s). Remount the seat. That’s it! Looks and feels great, my bike actaully feels lighter and smaller with this small change. I ride standing most of the time but it's great to kown i can plant my foot firmly down when i need to. ( Dropped my bike twice the first week because I had a job reaching the ground on some tight slow stuff!)

Ignore the above I hit the wrong bloody key before I corrected all the mistakes

With a small flat-blade screwdriver, lift the existing staples to remove the old seat cover. Needle-nose pliers work best, once you lift the staple a bit.

Mark where you normally sit with a pen and then measure and mark the amount you want to remove from this area (I cut 1'1/4") carefully on both sides. Taper to 0 as you move towards the front and rear.

Once your happy and you have a line on both sides

grab the electric calving knife and start one end cutting the full width in one careful but positive move from one end to the other.

Pop the seat foam back on the bike and try it for size etc.

You have to smooth all the ripples you made with the knife and bevel the edges. For this I used some stuff from the local hard wear store, which was like abrasive fine netting. It worked great. Takes a bit of time but worth doing well.

Fit the seat cover over the foam, center it, and staple the front and back of the cover to the base, using quarter-inch, heavy-duty staples. Then heat the sides of the cover (a hot-air gun works best), pull tight and tack the midpoint on each side in place.4: Once you’ve got the cover positioned correctly and the midpoint of the sides tacked in place, work towards the tongue (front) of the seat on each side. You may have to remove staples and retack to work out wrinkles.5: Heat, pull and tack down each side, working towards the back from the midpoint. Trim the excess cover around the seat bracket holes and away from the front mount(s). Remount the seat. That’s it! Looks and feels great, my bike actaully feels lighter and smaller with this small change. I ride standing most of the time but it's great to kown i can plant my foot firmly down when i need to. ( Dropped my bike twice the first week because I had a job reaching the ground on some tight slow stuff!)

CANDRZ, THANKS FOR THE SEAT TECH, I THINK MY WIFE HAS A CARVING KNIFE IN THE KITCHEN. DR.BILL, GOOD TO KNOW WE'RE NOT A BUNCH OF THIN SKINED DIRT BIKERS! I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I FALL TOO MUCH TO HAVE THIN SKIN!