FMF Quiet pipe- This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Bought an FMF Powercore quiet pipe for my 05 YZF250.

The pipe is in great condition from an ebay seller but there is no clamp to fasten the pipe onto the stock header. The ebay guy said he bought the pipe new and a clamp was'nt in the box.

I talked to the Yamaha guy and he suggested a couple of hose clamps to tighten in on, but doesnt that sound cheap?

Is there a better way to tighten it down ?????????????????????? And why doesnt FMF provide that as part of the Package?.....You would think a little clamp would be included after spending $350.00 on a stupid pipe without heading to the Home Depot to fix it........................................ ?

You dont need a clamp.They reliay on the metal expansion to seal the pipes.

This pipe wouldnt fit snuggly without a clamp or something to close in the gap........In fact,there is about an 1/8 th of an inch gap around the pipe that needs to be closed in..........Thats not even close to a snug fit slip on....

I would definatly say you are missing the gasket aedwards07 is talking about. It is a seperate piece about 2" long, and about and 1/8' thick with a lip on one end. The guy you bought it from could have easily kept it. It slides on to the header and then you shove the pipe over it. After it is on,you will really have to fight to get it off, it is that snug. I have a clamp on mine b/c it came with the stock pipe (I believe) but seriously, it would take me 20 min of wiggleing and cussing to get my PC4 off right now (my friend sprays some liquid wrench on it and wiggles it right off, but it never works for me).

Get a new gasket and a clamp and you are in business.

Geeezzzzz...... It's amazing how guys who have never even taken a Q out of the box will comment on these subjects. ?

Anyways... The Q silencer comes with an aluminum adapter and a clamp. There is no way the silencer is going to ever work w/o the adapter, nor will it seal properly without the clamp.

Contact the seller, he owes you some parts.

Good luck with it. ?

OK my bad I didn't notice that he said it was for the header, but technically I did say a "clamp." But I just used the one off my stock silencer. But as far as an adapter, I have no clue about that. Because I put on a powerbomb and the powercore 4 at the same time, which may be the reason I have no clue about the adapter. ?

• 11 years later...
  • TT Sponsor
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2006 at 6:53 PM, mushferbrains said:

I Just Bought an FMF Powercore quiet pipe for my 05 YZF250.

The pipe is in great condition from an ebay seller but there is no clamp to fasten the pipe onto the stock header. The ebay guy said he bought the pipe new and a clamp was'nt in the box.

I talked to the Yamaha guy and he suggested a couple of hose clamps to tighten in on, but doesnt that sound cheap?

Is there a better way to tighten it down ?????????????????????? And why doesnt FMF provide that as part of the Package?.....You would think a little clamp would be included after spending $350.00 on a stupid pipe without heading to the Home Depot to fix it........................................ ?

Mushferbrains,

I cant upload the instructions on here due to it being a PDF but if you send us your email we will be more than happy to send them to you.

Your muffler does not require a clamp we do recommend using Hi temp silicone on all the connection points. In the future you can always tell if a muffler needs a clamp or not based on the end of the mid pipe. If the end of the mid pipe is solid it wouldn't require a clamp as you cant compress a solid piece of tubing. If the end of the mid pipe has slits in it that would require a clamp as it compresses the tubing down to size.

As for the inlet sleeve, if you are mounting your muffler to a FMF header you would not utilize any inlet sleeve as its a direct slip fit connection for the 2003-2005 models.  

However, if you are using your stock header you would need the sleeve that comes in the hardware kit for the muffler. The part number of the inlet sleeve you would need is a 040648 and they retail for $19.99 again, that is ONLY if mounting to a STOCK OEM header.

Hopefully this helps you some. if you have any other questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us directly at 310-631-4363 and we will do our absolute best to help you out.  

• Like 1