Ultimate Dual Sport Tires. Please Vote for your Fav.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

606 front and Maxxis C6006 rear. They are okay at just about everything. Ultimately these tires work but leave me wanting something more in the dirt. I will eventually find a second set of rims and run trailwings during the week then go with something a bit more aggressive for the weekend. Probably going to try a Kenda 760 rear and their new enduro front (776 I think?). I've heard of people getting great milage from the K760 so I might go with that even if I still have to commute on it.

Grant

I've had my drz for less than a year and have run two sets of DOT knobbies and the stock TrailSlicks!

I had the 606's last year and 88nx250 was spot on in his discription. I am a newbie to dirtbiking and I had trouble with the front in the soft stuff. Not good for building confidence offroad IMO. However they worked excellent after I studded them for winter in New Hampshire!

I'm running Kenda's this year 776 front and 778 rear. It's still early in the season but I like the Kenda's alot better so far in the mud. The rear is multidirectional for soft/med I mouted for soft. The front is for soft terrain and so far feels more predictable offroad. I acctually lost the front a couple of times on my first ride but was able to recover without crashing. The price for this newfound traction offroad is less on. I have spun the rear on accident a couple of times allready. stock s, 3 by 3,dynojet, 15/47 gearing and I can slide the rear in 2nd. No problems with the front yet.

My bike is set up for more dirt riding but I do a 60 mile commute for work when the weather is good. I started with deathwings for about one day and they came off. Not good in the dirt. Then I went to a Kenda 760 on the rear and front. Much better in dirt and ok on road(but did not wear long). Then I tried Pirelli MT 21 front and rear. Better than Kenda and rear tire got 3500 miles before change(18 MM knobs new - 4 MM when removed). Front tire wears funny and was replaced with a Pirelli MT18. This was much better than all other front tires and I have over 4000 miles on it and it is still not even worn down half way.(Knobbies are starting to cup) On the rear I put a Terraflex. WOW. This is the tire I will buy from now on. Some people don't like them, but I think they work excellent. They start with 22 MM knobbies and wear good. I have about 3200 miles on it and it still has 9 MM of tread left. I don't lean into corners too hard because I know I have knobbies on, but i do ride aggressive sometimes. My choice of tires: front, MT 18 80/100-21; rear, Terraflex 140/80-18. Good on road and very good off road! ?

I don't lean into corners too hard because I know I have knobbies on, but i do ride aggressive sometimes.

First, thanks for the great info! The quote is my concern though. I need to know what I've got when I need to dodge granny's 72 Buick on wet pavement.

King KT-966 Rear Tire 5.10-18

King KT-966 Front Tire 3.00-21

These are the only tires other than stock that I've run. They are 200 times better than the stock deathwings, but are by no means an aggressive offroad tire. I am very happy using them for about 30% dirt riding.

im runnin full street tires avons 47 and 48 there great on the road slippery on the lose stuff and oh my gawd on the hard pack... the building the freeway by my house and i ride out there to stunt (wheelies,stoppie) the hard pack provides more traction than i get on the actual street. kinda werid but yea Cheers everyone

First, thanks for the great info! The quote is my concern though. I need to know what I've got when I need to dodge granny's 72 Buick on wet pavement.

Your riding a bike with two four inch square patches on the road. Any bike heading for granny's dodge in the rain is going to have a problem. Just close your eyes and say a quick prayer. In fact, have one ready ahead of time and tell God that when you scream #OH MY GOD!" , to insert that prayer!

• 3 weeks later...
My bike is set up for more dirt riding but I do a 60 mile commute for work when the weather is good. I started with deathwings for about one day and they came off. Not good in the dirt. Then I went to a Kenda 760 on the rear and front. Much better in dirt and ok on road(but did not wear long). Then I tried Pirelli MT 21 front and rear. Better than Kenda and rear tire got 3500 miles before change(18 MM knobs new - 4 MM when removed). Front tire wears funny and was replaced with a Pirelli MT18. This was much better than all other front tires and I have over 4000 miles on it and it is still not even worn down half way.(Knobbies are starting to cup) On the rear I put a Terraflex. WOW. This is the tire I will buy from now on. Some people don't like them, but I think they work excellent. They start with 22 MM knobbies and wear good. I have about 3200 miles on it and it still has 9 MM of tread left. I don't lean into corners too hard because I know I have knobbies on, but i do ride aggressive sometimes. My choice of tires: front, MT 18 80/100-21; rear, Terraflex 140/80-18. Good on road and very good off road! :crazy:

Interesting...

I have a new/unmounted MT21 rear - 140/80-18 and the lugs are only 14.5mm high and not the 18mm you measured. Is your tire a different size - perhaps 130/90-18?

Also, at Mandhtire.com the Terraflex they offer comes in a 150/90-18 not the 140/80-18 you have. Where did you get the 140/80 from?

Interesting...

I have a new/unmounted MT21 rear - 140/80-18 and the lugs are only 14.5mm high and not the 18mm you measured. Is your tire a different size - perhaps 130/90-18?

Also, at Mandtires.com the Terraflex they offer comes in a 150/90-18 not the 140/80-18 you have. Where did you get the 140/80 from?

The 140 was the original size stamped on the tire. The 150 is the updated sizing listed. They both are the same size.

I guess the size on these tires cannot be relied upon for accuracy, can they?

Say Sundog.

How do you get your avatar flag to flap when there is no wind? I would like mine to tremble when there is No-Fear...

Kenda Trackmaster II are working for me. I have not had them in the mud but in the gravel pit they are working really well. I am mostly communting and there are a couple of really nice twisties that I am hitting pretty hard over and they are holding. I don't have a problem at 80 mph either.

We have 2 DRZ's and run the Dunlop 606's front and rear. We do pavement, dirt roads, open desert, soft sand, rock and gravel. These tires work great for us. It doesnt rain very often here so I cant speak to wet weather performance.

front: dunlop 756

rear: maxxis IT maxxcross

No they arent DOT legal but I only have a 15 mile ride to the trail and the comprise is to great to run a DOT legal tire. These tires do fine for the most part on the road and I cruise at 65-70 mph no problem. They are much more compentant tires offroad then the 606's which were my first tire. Those 606's were definetly fun on-road though. :crazy:

I had Michelin Desert (front) and T63 (back), which are both OK on all types of ground, and last 4000km, allow for passenger riding, back slippery on wet stuff offroad.

Now I mounted D756 (front) and Bridgestone D660 (back), back is much better when the ground gets more loose, front is slightly better. On stones/desert the first combo is the better choice.

With any choice, I would tend to have a front more offroad oriented, and try to make it live longer on the pavement by avoiding intense front braking, and a back with long life.

If you drive solo and live in an area with steep trails, rain, mud, slippery roots or river beds... I would do no compromise and get good offroad tyres like bridgestone d668/663, because compromising with dual sport tyres will make your life more difficult offroad than changing tyres more often.