Sign in to follow this  

HELP! How/Where can I register a non-Calif DRZ 400SM

Hello all this is my first time posting. I need your help. I recently purchased a DRZ 400 SM off of Ebay and it was shipped here to Bakersfield, CA from Nebraska. I took it to the DMV which they registered the bike then later called me back saying they made a mistake and that the bike didnt have a sticker on the frame signifying that it meets all CA emissions standards. For that they made me strip the license and give it back to them. I want to register my bike in CA so I can ride it but I dont want to modify the engine. DMV even told me that I couldnt modify the engine to pass emissions and get registration. :confused: They also told me I couldnt run it up to 7500 miles so that it would count as a used bike. I'm not sure but I think they red flagged my DMV account so that I cant go to any other DMV and try to get it registered. They also sent me a letter saying I need to remove the bike from the state of CA. I love this bike and feel like I've been totally screwed. :bonk::bonk::thumbsup: I'd be grateful for any help you can give me ...and hope that I can find some loophole in order to register my bike. I'd gladly pay anything to get it registered.

Bryan :thumbsup:

DRZ 400SM 2005 bought used off Ebay 1330 miles now has 3545 miles

Yamaha FZ1 2002 :bonk:

I'm new to TT also and in CA so I have a CA spec '05DR-Z400SM. What I've been able to learn from my short time here is that the CA models have an evaporate emissions control thing that other state bikes don't. There is a hose coming from the tank going down to a junction box above the countershaft area of the motor. Another tube comes from the bottom of the carb (near the fuel mixture screw). Both of these tubes snake back to a 'canister' attached to the frame behind the left number plate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/MountainDog/P1000017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/MountainDog/P1000016.jpg

I believe the engine is the same and the only differences is the evap control. I bought a carb from a TT member from another state. I noticed that carb doesn't have the 'nipple' for the vent hose like my CA one does.

I believe the things you'd need to convert to CA legal are a new tank, a different gas cap, the hoses, the hose junction box thing, CA carb (unless you can drill the one you have and put in a nipple), and the frame canister thing.

If you look at the SM parts microfiche, it lists two carb p/ns, two gas cap numbers, an extra tank p/n, so I'm guessing those are the CA specific parts.

http://www.bellssuzuki.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

It would cost you many hundreds of $ to buy all that, and DMV might not even accept it. You should try to talk to a supervisor to see if you have any options.

I live in bakersfield and have the canister laying around if you need it. You can borrow my CA tank (yellow) and we can strip any of the smog stuff off my bike as its unused now.

The difference in Ca bikes Vs. others is the evap...BUT...that won't help you now. Just adding the evap stuff will not get you your title on a non CA bike that requires emission control. The VIN number tells all.