Who's been to Baja?

My wife and I were talking last night about a holiday in the spring for a couple of weeks. Riding is getting close to being over for me until then usually. So we want to go to Mexico (never been)and I told her that my dream would be to ride down the Baja somewhere and meet up with her for the last week or so.

Whoa!! She says to look into it!! I am stunned, what a good opportunity to get away and do what I have always wanted to do. I'll have to research it some more but I know that I will be going on a tour with someone on one of their bikes.

My question is: Who,s been down and whats your experience like? Who's got good recommendations for a tour company?

P.S. She's going on a cruise for the first week.

Logistics seem pretty large but we are gonna try!!

Baja, Been there many of times. I ride sweep for Trailboss Tours. Last Year I rode the Baja 2000 course 2 days after the race. It was a 7 day ride and I had my wife fly down to Cabo after. We spent 7 days there. Anyway If you want to do a 3 day Mike's ski ranch trip the stock DRZ gearing will be fine. If you want to go farther you'll need to gear it up. I can tell you stores or send many pictures if your interested. Look up www.trailbosstours.com for a ride schedule. I wouldn't go down there unless you know someone who has ridden there and knows the area. A tour group is the way to go, each one is different so pick the one that fits your riding stile. You want to have fun not be held back or left in the dust. Trailboss tours is a husband and wife team so this is there life and they love to ride. My wife has taged along on some of the rides and they took good care of her.

Moredesert@aol.com

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Moredesert ]

Look into Malcolm Smith Adventures. The next Baja ride is in April 2002. He has ran this since 1996 and it is a real good ride. Malcolm goes on the ride with you and has a lot of stories. He has probably ridden a million miles off road on a motorcycle. The ride is six days and lots of fun with good food also.

Originally posted by Wobbler:

My wife and I were talking last night about a holiday in the spring for a couple of weeks. Riding is getting close to being over for me until then usually. So we want to go to Mexico (never been)and I told her that my dream would be to ride down the Baja somewhere and meet up with her for the last week or so.

Whoa!! She says to look into it!! I am stunned, what a good opportunity to get away and do what I have always wanted to do. I'll have to research it some more but I know that I will be going on a tour with someone on one of their bikes.

My question is: Who,s been down and whats your experience like? Who's got good recommendations for a tour company?

P.S. She's going on a cruise for the first week.

Logistics seem pretty large but we are gonna try!!

I can't agree more with DK - BajaBound Adventures is the way to go. I've ridden with them twice, and they run a top notch tour group. Tim knows his way around Baja, and puts together a real class tour. Riding Baja is an incredible experience - find a good tour company and have a blast!

I agree, Baja Bound with Tim Morton is the way to go. I went with them in sept. what a trip, its not cheep (see thier website) but its a great experence. Tim is a great guide. My only suggestion is be honest about your ability. If I had been matched up with some other novice riders it would have been more fun. go for it!!! erik

I have never ridden With Baja Bound but I have ridden with Trail boss Tours. I went as a customer and had so much fun I went back again and again. Now I ride sweep for Chris and Nan everytime I go. I,ve taken 9-3 day rides to Mike's sky ranch, 1-4 day trip to Loreto, 1-9 day trip to Cabo, 1 trip to Death Valley, and 1 dual sport ride up the Calif cost. Trust me you can't find a better group of people to tour with, and they are cheeper. If you want Pictures Just e-mail me, I have tons on disc. Moredesert@aol.com

If you haven't been to Baja you need to go. My next trip will be in February. Like the other people said they had a blast.

Trailboss rents XR400's and XR650's

I went to Baja to see the Lizard Lady and check out her Baja guidebook. We had two great days of riding around Hacienda Santa Veronica. Now, I'm armed with GPS routes to explore northern Baja. If there's an event next year I'll highly recommend it!

When checking prices, remember that [at least with BajaBound] these prices are all inclusive. You just bring your gear and ride! The places you stay with BajaBound are all great - the people know Tim and his crew well, and they (and yourself) are treated wonderfully. Also, as Erik said, be honest about your riding abilities. Tim is very good about tailoring a ride for your abilities. He can make it as easy or difficult as you wish.

If you are ready to go check out all the web sites.

Trailboss and Baja Bound all have inclusive trips. Chris and Tim have both raced Baja and they do the same basic rides. I've met Tim at Mikes Sky ranch and passed his groups on the trail. You can't go wrong if your with a tour, just go and have fun. Who knows maybe I'll see you at Mike's.

I have only rode down there once and it was with Baja Bound. It was a blast!! Any pace you want. Don't worry he is fast! I went last year in late nov. right after the Baja2000 race. It was really neat ridding the course. Mikes Sky Ranch is neat. I went with my father as a early Christmas presant from my mother. So many memories!! Thanks Tim