Sign in to follow this  

Rusty headpipe solution?

Hopefully someone can give me some advice to remedy this situation. Regardless of what I've done thus far, my headpipe continues to rust. It's not a deep, penetrating rust, but more of a surface rust. I've tried the old scotch-brite/wd-40 trick with no success. It looks good until I start it, but after a minute it's back. It's not a performance issue, but it looks bad, and I somewhat worry about the longterm effect of corrosion. At this point I'm considering some sort of a rust inhibitor, or hight temp paint. I'd welcome any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Once A pipe starts to rust, it is very hard to stop it. I have never had good luck with chemicals to remedy the problem.

I've had people tell me that getting the pipe ceramic coated will help. But I have never looked into the process.

While giving my 01 e, w/194 miles, a bath. I noticed some surface rust was starting to appear on the pipe down near the cylinder. I'm not to stressed about it but should i expect my pipe to go all rusty on me?? :)

The header pipe on my 2001 'S' started going a rusty brown colour literally 2 days after I got it. There's no actual surface deposits, just discolouration. If I use a combination of WD-40 and some soft-ish wire wool (even hard rubbing with a rag has a similar effect), I can bring the black back (notice that I didn't say "remove the rust", since the pipe is still super-smooth... it's more like polishing), but it soon returns.

I've not really worried about it as there doesn't appear to be any actual corrosion taking place. Just about every DRZ that I've seen has the same problem to some extent. Maybe it's just the climate around here (very wet and cold most of the time)...

I wonder if you can "blue" the header just like you can on a car header. Covering it in transmission fluid and burning it off. This leaves a rust proof coating(slightly blue in color)on the pipe. Not full proof, but I have seen it work well on autos. I gues it would work.

Jeeeez guys

go to your local autoshop, buy some mothers metal polish. take your whole exhaust off, do the whole thing. I know it did WONDERS on my big gun race exhaust (polished finish). so on the stock exhaust first just try a spot to see if it works. it's only like 5 bucks so GO GET IT NOW

:)

this stuff WORKS

Gyro speaks the truth.My buddy showed up on his XR400 to go riding today and he polished his Yosh header with Mothers aluminum chrome polish.WOW all I can say is I'm going to the auto parts store tomorrow to get me some.Stuff does do wonders.

hehe

you hear that guys?

BUY MOTHERS CHROME/ALUMIUM/ALL METALS POLISH!

lol

Errrm.... OK, but I don't recognise that brand name. Anyone know what it's called/if it's available in the UK? Will Solvol do the job?

any metal polish should work

as long as it's the thick gunky stuff and not the liquid

use a cloth to rub it in, rubbing action is where it's at

lol

I recently coated my FMF head pipe (stainless), with a product called black satin from Tech Line. It is a ceramic coat that is applied with an air brush. Fairly simple process: spray on, let dry for a couple of days, put the pipe back on and let the exhaust finish the cure. So far it seems very durable. I got it from http://www.techlinecoatings.com/.

I recently coated my FMF head pipe (stainless), with a product called black satin from Tech Line. It is a ceramic coat that is applied with an air brush. Fairly simple process: spray on, let dry for a couple of days, put the pipe back on and let the exhaust finish the cure. So far it seems very durable. I got it from www.techlinecoatings.com.