Sign in to follow this  

Stall-O-Matic Crash-O-Matic

I’ve got a new 2005 DRZ-400S (500 miles) (stock) that has an issue with stalling.

With the bike warmed up, starting from idle, quickly crack-open the throttle and the engine stalls. This has become a problem when riding sandy trails down here in Florida.

Throw the bike into a turn, down shift, give it some gas and dump the clutch. You would expect me to blast right out wouldn’t you but no the engine stalls and I fall flat on my side. This scenario has happened several times. The “Dealer” bumped up the idle and gave the excuse that this wasn’t a real dirt bike and I should take it easy. Before the 2005 I had a 2002 DRZ-400S converted to a Supermoto and that bike ripped.

Have any else had this problem and if so how did you over come it?

Thanks

Doug

:thumbsup:

If performance is what you're interested in, get a jet kit (I think JD kits are recommended) and try that with the stock exhaust and recommended settings for the stock exhaust. i would imagine this would make a world of difference. This is assuming there has not been any previous messing with the carb that could be causing the issue.

I’ve got a new 2005 DRZ-400S (500 miles) (stock) that has an issue with stalling.

With the bike warmed up, starting from idle, quickly crack-open the throttle and the engine stalls. This has become a problem when riding sandy trails down here in Florida.

Throw the bike into a turn, down shift, give it some gas and dump the clutch. You would expect me to blast right out wouldn’t you but no the engine stalls and I fall flat on my side. This scenario has happened several times. The “Dealer” bumped up the idle and gave the excuse that this wasn’t a real dirt bike and I should take it easy. Before the 2005 I had a 2002 DRZ-400S converted to a Supermoto and that bike ripped.

Have any else had this problem and if so how did you over come it?

Thanks

Doug

:confused:

First off the dealer is an :thumbsup: idiot.

Now that we got that out of the way, you may want to jet it right now and also open up the air box with the 3x3 mod. When I first had my DRZ (first 50 miles) it stalled a lot and it sucked, I upped the idle a little and it helped get past that low spot that it died on. It went away though...

There are probably about 10 things you can try to get past this, or for under $100 you can get a Dyno Jet kit, a 25 pilot jet, extended fuel screw, and for good measure a few main jets (I had to go to 145 on my 05 S). When you are doing all of this you will either find and fix or just fix the problem.

Once you open up the air box and jet it you will have another DRZ that rips :thumbsup:

I have a similar problem with mine- but mostly happens when I pull up to a stop sign/light.

I have to keep blipping the throttle for a minute or so before it settles down an idles properly. Some times from idle it stalls when I go to rev it a bit.

This got worse after I installed the DJ Kit. There was a thread about this issue a couple of weeks ago.

I'm waiting for a larger pilot jet (go from 22.5 to 25) to see if that helps. I will also see if there are any other issues when I install the larger PJ.

I might just get mad enough to get an FCR.

BJ

Just so you know I have an 05 S 25 pilot jet and 145 main, and it rips... When I got on the bike, I felt like I did the first time I really ripped a dirt bike... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It took me about 3 to 4 days of dialing in and pull the plug to get the pilot screw set then I just messed with the idle to get it set. Its my understanding that if you don't up the pilot jet when you rejet it will have idle problems, but don't quote me on that.

With a stock exhaust you might have to do some adjusting, but search around this forum, there are tons of posts from people that know what they are doing.

Hey man,

Where in NJ are you? I'm in Manahawkin.

Milltown - Close to New Brunswick. Ride mostly in Jamesberg, EB, Monroe, etc...

Oh yea, I am not really a good rider, I always seem to crash... :thumbsup:

Needs to be jetted to start with. Then geared down a bit. But the stalling is jetting related and you may also want to turn the idle up a bit.