48 state or CA. addition klr

I have narrowed it down (and down and down) to a KLR 650. I want a new one (I know I will catch a little grief about that) because of the warranty and I don't want any head aches (that might come with a used bike). My problem is..... I want a 2006 GREEN one, not a RED one. I live in Dallas and I am not able to find one in my state or the surrounding states, the dealers just laugh and put me on a waiting list (13th at one dealer). I went so far as to try and by the floor demo at the Ft. Worth Motorcycle show (nope, it was for showing only). I flew to California to visit family and just popped in a shop and they had 8 red one and 7 GREENS ones !!!

Now this is my question, what exactly is the difference between a CA. version and a 48 state bike. AND is it so much of a difference that I should just keep looking in the other 48 states??? Is there a difference in the ride?? Can I make a CA. version into a 48 state bike??? I am planning on riding this thing for years and years and just want to happy with this choice. Any and all input is greatly appreciated. thanks joeker

Ok, you have my curiosity up. Why do you want the California version? Is that the only way to get a GREEN COLORED one? Here in California, when you mention Red or Green, it refers to emmission controls on the bikes.

Ride on

Brewster

The red or green has to do with the color of the plastic. Apparently California is the only state that still has green 2006 KLRs. The rest of the US, (surely I am exaggerating, I hope) have sold out and can not get any.

3 weeks ago I was in Grapevine Kawasaki and they had a Green KLR that didn't have a SOLD tag on it. It's the first time I've seen that shop with a KLR of any color that wasn't sold before it entered their showroom.

2 days ago I was in Cycle Center of Denton and followed a guy out on a Green KLR with fresh paper dealer plate on it. Somebody is able to buy the green ones... Are you saying they're all pre-ordered?

I do like this years green but I'd like an 04 and 05 red better.