Who has tried the WR250?

My riding buddy has a WR250F, and it screams, but not out of the box. New pipe, YZ timing change, and cut the infamous grey wire. Sometimes hard to start, jetting is only slighty tempermental, but otherwise a really nice machine. Very fun to ride.

I rode my buddies with yz timing grey wire and exhaust. What a cool bike!! I little small feeling compared to the Caddy(drz) and only when it stalled did I wait for him to get my bike back. I couldn't start it but he could, there is no button on the bars only an aluminum thing that is real stiff and makes clicking noises.

Out of the box the DRZ is ready to go where as the WR will implode if left as factory. The upside is that all mods required to bring the WR up to spec cost nothing and can be done by most driveway mechanics. The suspension on the WR is much nicer ie- more race ready and for some reason (which I cannot seem to figure out) the rear brake is FANTASTIC compared to the DRZ. As far as making street legal the WR is slightly simpler. On the DRZ you must add/change the tail light where on the WR a small hole can be cut in the bottom of the lense to illuminate the tag, and a resistor with brake bypass can be adapted to the bulb. Performance wise the DRZ is much stronger on the bottom and the WR pulls better up top. Comfort wise the DRZ is king. After 20 minutes of saddle time on the WR I had perfected standing up through every situation- sitting down was like straddling a 2x6 piece of oak. For my riding style- slow with lots of crashing- I prefer the DRZ. If I was a guy with race asperations I would prefer the WR. I am curious though about the difference between the 426 and the DRZ400. I have not had the chance to ride with a 426 and would be interested in how it performs.

Of course there is the starting issue. Even knowing the trick to starting the WR I still try to stop facing downhill!