DRZS on motocross track? Anyone do it?

I know many of you have taken the E/kicker version to a real motocross track, but has anyone taken the S? I've been riding with a few buddies (all with two strokes) that want me to go to a local track. Nothing too bad, no triples (couldn't do 'em anyway). Heck, don't know if I could do a single. :)

Was it completely out of its element, or was it just work muscling it around the track?

I don't get it DRBillZ. That's the post re: splitting the S and the rest. Are you referring to your post at the end that says I should sell my bike and get a dirt bike? Great idea except I don't have the money, and I live in CA so I can't make a real dirt bike street legal. Maybe you mean I should sell the DRZ and get a YZF/CRF? If that's the case, thank you for your contribution. Not quite what I expected, though.

Don't worry Jeremy, the doc is confusing me too.

OK. Let me put it this way:

I took my KX250 out on the road race course and it seemed like it didn't like the track..........

Somethings just aren't meant to be............

DRBillZ - you're killin' me smalls. I know it's out of its element on a track because that's not what it was made for. I bought the S because I live in CA and was planning on riding dual sport. Unfortunately I'm having way too much fun in the dirt, and I only ride about 5% on the street. I'm already planning on selling the DRZS (though it's great for what it's intended for) and getting another bike. HOWEVER, I wanted to know if I could go to a track and take it easy, or if I had to wait until I sell the thing and get a different bike. That said, has anyone ever taken an S on a motocross track?

Originally posted by DR.billZ:

I took my KX250 out on the road race course and it seemed like it didn't like the track..[/QB]

You know they say it's 90% rider. Maybe it wasn't the KX's fault . . . :D:)

I think the suspension would let you down big time, the weight you could get close to a 400E but thats still heavy for a moto and i don't know about you but after a few laps i would be knackered :)

I don't agree with Dr.Bilz saying modding the 400S is a waste of time, i had a lot of fun on mine this year i had thought of buying the E and dualsporting it but i would have had to spend a lot of extra cash that i did not have to do that.

For the same price i got my road legal bike with passenger pegs for my kids. I ordered it with MT21 tires and 47T rear sprocket dealer kept originals and all i had to is unbolt some stuff that it did not need and make some stuff like skid plate and bar risers.

If there was a lot of enduros to do around here i would have bought a 400e or more likely a KTM300 of 400EXC but i can still do one or two on my 400S and have the legality for dualsport runs too.

Its all about fun and being out there so you might not win any motos but if you have fun who cares, go to the track on a closed day first with a couple of your mates and see how it go's.

To answer your questions directly.

Yes, I have taken my (S) bike on a motoX track many times. I am no great rider and this is only my first year riding but it possible. I have a blast but I really notice the weight. The first few times I went just to play around and learn. Towards the end of the season I started getting the hang of it but it still needs to be muscled around. Forget whipping it around like a 2 choke, its not made for that. If I was going to ride motoX more I would have gotten a different bike, I like DS riding and I find the DRZ (S) great for the riding I do.

I still have a blast at the track, and I love the looks I get when I show up.

:D AN S is possible round a track but dont expect to be beating anyone with a more track orientated machine, The weight does get to you after a few laps but its not that bad :D

The big let down as someone else surmised is the suspension just isn't up to any airtime at all, the bumps, berms etc no problem but anything over about 5 feet in the air and the noise when you land is enough to make you take up knitting..LOL

Mind you.. I am slightly heavier that Mr average! :)

Thank you Dendrz, Va3mod, and Guy. I'm not planning on racing it, doing any real jumping, or timing any of my laps. I just wondered if it would be a waste of time to go to the track for some practice and a little fun. I appreciate your feedback.

Jeremy - I take my S to the track quite often. I race harescrambles and have found that motorcross riding is great cross-training. It is definatly not a waste of time. You will greatly improve your abilities and have a blast at the same time. I did enter one race in the Woods class and finished 4th out of 10. I find motorcross racing to be much less fun than harescrambles. However, I enjoy practicing at the local track.

I never had the stock suspension on the track. I would guess you would bottom often if you were over 170 lbs. A bike that bottoms over the smallest of jumps can quickly ruin your good time at the track. Give it a shot.

chip%20spacecoast.jpg

Picture of me on my S at a local practice track.

cgolden that is awesome, looks like your going to hit the branches, did you need a doctor on landing???

Speaking of doctors you did'nt pass any out on the track per chance..mahaha..too funny :)

Great picture man! I have an E and have not had the balls to get that high. maybe this year :)

Jeremy,

I don't have an "s" Suzuki but that's OK. Take your bike to the track. You will know within a lap or two if you should be there.

You can go pretty fast on a "non-mx" bike. I had my YZ426 out recently and was smoked by an XR400 ridden by a guy in jeans. And I thought I was going fast...

When I was a kid and only had an XR75, I still managed to smoke other kids riding YZ/RM125s in the beginner class. Just go slow over the jumps and gas it on the straights.

Regards,

Steve T

A friend of mine had a 2000 S last year and used to ride it stock at the local tracks. He was a fairly quick rider and has now moved on to a 426. It was great to see him pass 250's 2-strokes and beep his horn as he went by!!

I'm a firm believer that it is more rider than bike.

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: DRZ-Man ]

Go and ride! Have fun (thats what it is all about). Just don't get too crazy and push it too far past its limitations.

Was ther ever any doubt that it is more rider than bike?

my $.02

Thanks all! I appreciate it. Another couple weeks and I'll go have some fun. Besides, isn't it all about having fun anyway? :)

I have taken mine to a couple of tracks and it tired me out pretty quick. My S has been on a pretty serious diet, but I have not. Between my bike and I we are in the close to 500 lbs.; that is a far cry from the 150lbs rider on a 250 two stroke.

However, the S works great in the desert after it is setup properly.