What aftermarket exhaust to get for an S?

I am looking for aftermarket exhaust and would like to hear what people had to say about what is out there.

I want something that is relatively quiet (or a insert to make it quiet when I need it to be) I ride 40/60% road/dirt and about 40% of the time I need a quiet bike. It also needs to have “real” spark arrestor and the lighter the pipe the better.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Please note I have a 2001 S and plan on adjusting the jets once I get a pipe. Once I have done the pipe and re-jet I will be done with all alterations and add-ons to the bike.

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: va3mod ]

Thanks Moredesert

I hear that the yosh is the best pipe for it, my mechanic really wants me to put one on. I am just really worried about the noise. After all the posts I have read about pipes I guess they are the loudest. I will have to look more into the quiet core. I do have lots of time to look around as my season is over till spring. I would like to get as much info as I can because they are so expensive, I don't want to buy one find I don't like it and have to get something else.

Stephen

The FMF Power Core Four 'Q' works well. I have it and am happy with the power and sound. Woke the bike up everywhere. Do a search "FMF" with thumpertalk member #2610. You'll find info. from Jimmy Lewis, Cycle World editor, who has tested all pipes available for the DRZ. Read through his posts, it may help you with your decision. Good luck!

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: Wolverine1 ]

Originally posted by Wolverine1:

Do a search "FMF" with thumpertalk member #2610. You'll find info. from Jerry Lewis, Cycle World editor, who has tested all pipes available for the DRZ. Read through his posts, it may help you with your decision. Good luck!

Would he be any relation to Jimmy Lewis? ?

Originally posted by va3mod:

I am looking for aftermarket exhaust and would like to hear what people had to say about what is out there.

I want something that is relatively quiet (or a insert to make it quiet when I need it to be) I ride 40/60% road/dirt and about 40% of the time I need a quiet bike. It also needs to have “real” spark arrestor and the lighter the pipe the better.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Please note I have a 2001 S and plan on adjusting the jets once I get a pipe. Once I have done the pipe and re-jet I will be done with all alterations and add-ons to the bike.

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: va3mod ]

Glad to see your getting a new pipe stephen, myself I'm changing my bike completely over to dirt, a plastic tank is on the way, along with some cr hi bend bars which I got yesterday (NICEBARS)

FMF,

Now on my XR600 which is a completely different bike I didn't like the sound at all but with the carb jetted right it was strong. I switched over to a White Bros. and I though it sounded sweet. But it seems like it needed to be jetted closer to stock to run right and wasn't as fast.

On my DRZ the Yosh is music to my ears because of the R's it turns, love the pipe. If you are going to leave the stock jetting your going to loose horse power. The Yosh. pipe like WILD FX states "lets the motor breath better" so you want to add more fuel (bigger Jets) to compensate for the extra air flow. Unless your at +5000' then you might want to leave the stock jets.

I run at sea level to 8000' with 158 main and the needle rased one clip. I could go higher on the main but I ride everywhere and the bike likes the jetting so what the heck.

One thing to note on the Yosh slip on pipe. I got the pipe and bought the US forestry approved spark arester and couldn't ride in calif because it didn't have the sticker or stamp. I called Yosh and bitched. They had me send the pipe back and they replaced it with a different type with a sticker. That is when they told me I could add the quite core in a matter or min's. The cone has 3 screw on the end for the screen and quite core. Not the 3 mounting screws, those are a pain to get on and off.

Moredesert

I see you are a CDN , noise is not a big issue! So a Yosh off road slip on was my route and if I want stealth mode I put the stocker on.

I never did jet the carb but I kept a watch on the plug and all seems ok, but it may be a bit lean with the air box opened up .That pipe sure lets the moter breath . And if you want to run it in a lower rpm range ,it is much happier to do so .

I will be going to my family reunion this coming Aug and I hope to have the chance to see some of the fellow TT DRZ S-E-K riders.

BEERS? ?

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: WILD FX ]

Thanks for all for the great info.

I have done a lot of searching on the TT site and on the net but I am still not too sure.

It is down to the FMF Q, Big Gun Q or a Yosh (but I don’t think they have a Q core)

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Big Gun Quiet. I like the pipe itself, but I hate the Big Gun company. For example, I emailed them and asked if it had a mount for the heat shield (S model), they said Yes, I said "Are you sure" they said yes. I went to their web site, it said the pipe was $450, when you click BUY the shopping cart shows $500. So I said what the hell and paid the $500. It took WEEKS and weeks for my pipe to arrive. I called the company and they said they were backordered. When the pipe finally arrived it had NO MOUNTS for the heat shield like they promised. When I called them and complained they said they had a bolt on mount that they would sell me! Bastards! One more thing, it didn't come with any jetting recomendations or instructions like they said it would. The Big Gun Company SUCKS!

Also, the web site still lists the incorrect price (3 months later). And the $15 race core as listed on the website will in actuality set you back $50.

Originally posted by mnelson78:

I have the Big Gun Quiet. I like the pipe itself, but I hate the Big Gun company. For example, I emailed them and asked if it had a mount for the heat shield (S model), they said Yes, I said "Are you sure" they said yes. I went to their web site, it said the pipe was $450, when you click BUY the shopping cart shows $500. So I said what the hell and paid the $500. It took WEEKS and weeks for my pipe to arrive. I called the company and they said they were backordered. When the pipe finally arrived it had NO MOUNTS for the heat shield like they promised. When I called them and complained they said they had a bolt on mount that they would sell me! Bastards! One more thing, it didn't come with any jetting recomendations or instructions like they said it would. The Big Gun Company SUCKS!

Also, the web site still lists the incorrect price (3 months later). And the $15 race core as listed on the website will in actuality set you back $50.

Yea **** happens, but the pipe is great

Go with the big gun quiet exhaust stephen, for the money you wont regret it. also get yourself a nice set of handle bars ? renthals are good.

come spring we'll go riding in ganaraska forest, very nice riding there

Yosh, Yosh, Yoshimura ?

This is what I got back from Yoshimura today.

2165500-TEC. This is a Full Stainless system with a stainless can, spark arrestor and both sound inserts. The Race systems have been superceeded to this.

I am going by the dealer tonight to get it ordered!

Why did I pick the Yosh over the FMF and Big Gun?

Suzuki = Yosh

I can also get a much better price on a Yosh from my dealer than on the other 2.

After reading loads of info it pretty much seem to be based on a personal pick, customer service and all your input.

Thanks

Stephen

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: va3mod ]