IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

_Slim Fast 2003 for Your Drz400S!! come read!______________

Alright, after owning my 2000s for a few years I've come to the decision I only want to ride it offroad. No more dual sporting, just offroad.

So heres the stuff which I've done.

Bike 2000 drz400s

_______changes:________

Removed stuff:

-head light

-metal head light mounts(which are on the shocks)

-rear brake light

-all turn signals

-rear mud/splash gaurd which holds turnsignals/brake light

-horn

-mirrors

-belt on seat

-foot peg rubber inserts

-chain splash gaurd (wow pointless!)

-buddy pegs

-main display (neutral light/over heating light thing stays)

-horn/turnsignal/high beam switch assembly (disconected at the plugs)

-rear helmet holder thing on sub frame, hack saw'd off!

-kick stand

Changes:

-front plastic plate swapped for number plate (come monday)

-handle bars swapped for CR renthal hi bends

-stock tires for knobbies

-speedo clicker thing on wheel hub, swapped for spacer (soon)

-stock exhaust swapped to big gun full race exhaust

-stock gas tank swapped to clarke 3.9 tank, (come X-mas!)

-14 tooth front sprocket added

-47 rear sprocket (not done, 47 comes stock on the E right?)

-rejetted

-3x3" hole in air box

-k&n air fliter (might try one)

-skid plate (soon)

-rear disk gaurd (might get one)

-front disk cover (might get one)

-front hand gaurds (might get some)

Can't think of anything else right now, I think I got it all. Anything not done WILL be done over the winter.

I'm going to weigh all the parts removed, add in the differences for the parts swapped, and the parts added, subtract that from 291 (stock weight) and post new numbers. But that wont be for awhile.

If anybody has any other ideas, besides new suspension which I can't afford just yet :) please, post them. As it is 2:15 am in the morning and I probably missed something. :D

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: Gyro ]

Thought I'd post some stats:

Dry weights

Suzuki: (2002)

drz400s: 291 lbs

drz400e: 262 lbs

drz400: 249 lbs

Yamaha: (2002)

YZ426: 231 lbs

WR426F: 240 lbs

KTM: (2002)

400SX: 236 lbs

400MCX: 247 lbs

400E/XC: 247 lbs

520SX: 236 lbs

520MCX: 247 lbs

520E/XC: 247 lbs

Honda: (2002)

CRF450: 225 lbs

XR400: 257 lbs

Kawasaki: (2002)

KLX300R: 232 lbs

Sounds like you will be right down there with the dirt models? What is your thinking regarding tire's? I bought a E per the bike shops advice to avoid going through what you are doing. There are great places to ride just a short hop from my house. I was hoping to get mine titled and insured so I don't have to trailer it all the time. So I will probably be doing the reverse of what you are. I don't plan on leaving it all on after I get the plate. I will just try and keep a low profile. Kind of hard to do with a flourecent yellow DRZ.Hopfully hand signals are still good in the daylight hours.

Stronger triple clamp? - like Applied or Yosh?

Definately get a Scotts guard - tough as nails

If you are off-road at night, you'll like an 80W/80W headlight bulb (or higher if you want) - Baja Designs sells 'um

Have fun...

Does the E have a different tripple clamp then the S?

As for tires, I guess pirelli's or however it's spelt.

wont be driving at night, so lights are not an issue

hehe :)

hey it's more fun this way!

alright weighed all the crap I took off the bike, total 15 lbs

stock dry gas tank weighs 8 lbs with locking gas cap. Clarke tank weighs 2 lbs.

Stock exhaust weighs 11 lbs. Big gun weighs 6 lbs.

so thats the stock weight minus 15+6+5=26

okay 291-26=265

265 lbs will be my new weight, thats only 3 lbs heavier then the E model. run with a half tank of gas and I'm in business :D

Gyro - The Pirelli tires have a heavier carcas than say Dunlop 756s do. If you are not carrying a passenger, you can cut off the back end of your subframe that supports the heavy taillight and tool pack as well. Remove all the unneeded wires and the ignition switch with a kit - I think Baja or Keintech makes them.

Of course you could remove the battery & starter and replace them with the kickstart kit - but I doubt you would want to do that :)

Good luck - keep us posted

Originally posted by z4me:

Gyro - The Pirelli tires have a heavier carcas than say Dunlop 756s do. If you are not carrying a passenger, you can cut off the back end of your subframe that supports the heavy taillight and tool pack as well. Remove all the unneeded wires and the ignition switch with a kit - I think Baja or Keintech makes them.

Of course you could remove the battery & starter and replace them with the kickstart kit - but I doubt you would want to do that :)

Good luck - keep us posted

Yep, I've done the clutch/kickstand tricks. As for the ignition switch I kind of like it. (if you mean the key start) Security be it. As for the subframe I'm not so sure I should start hacking that up just yet. probably dosn't weigh much anyways but we'll see. I'll have to take it off and feel the weight

kick start may be an option later on

tires, I need a new rear and that will most likely be a dunlop

Gyro,

So for us S guys that want to dual sport, it sounds like the two most effective mods to reduce weight are the exhaust and the gas tank. It looks like you shaved about 11 lbs on those two alone. Am I reading that right? So I can get a stock S to about 280 with those mods? That's only 18 lbs heavier that the E for a street legal bike. I can live with that! How much cash will you be into the tank and the exhaust?

Originally posted by Geetch:

Gyro,

So for us S guys that want to dual sport, it sounds like the two most effective mods to reduce weight are the exhaust and the gas tank. It looks like you shaved about 11 lbs on those two alone. Am I reading that right? So I can get a stock S to about 280 with those mods? That's only 18 lbs heavier that the E for a street legal bike. I can live with that! How much cash will you be into the tank and the exhaust?

Geetch, those two plus the headlight, seems to me the Acerbis headlight is supposed lighter than stock but i cannot remember how much less.

i agree with geetch. pretty minimal weight savings stripping turn signals & such. i'll keep the few extra lbs for street legality. i have made most of those other mods myself, but kept the street legality equipment.

food for thought: clarke tank is 6lbs lighter, but holds 1.4 more gallons than stock. petrol is 6.2 lbs/gallon if memory serves, so you are only saving weight during the bottom half of the tank. :)

clarke tank is 155 us dollars at

http://www.clarkemfg.com/

big gun race or quiet exhaust is 450 at

http://www.biggunexhaust.com/

as for dual sporting, I'm retiring from that field. 11lbs from exhaust and gas tank is correct, plus you could go with stuff like a lighter headlight, and such and such. buddy pegs weigh like 1.5 pounds each! so if your not using those why not take them off. same goes with the other stuff under my list of what got tossed.

as for what timmy said about filling up the tank he's right. you save 6 lbs with the plastic tank. but the tank holds 1.4 more so if you fill it to the top it's going to have same weight as stock, which ain't bad for having more gas! Even then, when trail riding I never find myself heading out with a full tank of gas. :)

Now you need the titanium footpegs, and a complete Ti nut and bolt kit!

Gyro, I am sorry to hear that you are stripping down your bike. :) There are a lot of great riding to be had in S.Ont but you need to be street legal. O'well, I'll just have to meet you at the inclosed trails!

Just don't cross the road :D

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: va3mod ]

hehe

alot of the places I ride it dosn't matter if your street legal or not

so hey

plus I'm sick of riding on the street with knobbies, it really wears down the knobbies Fast

I think the clamp is the same, BUT .... "S" owners using the Applied Racing clamp will have to remove the rubber grommets from the top of the headlight bracket. Taking two grommets off provides the clearance you need to get the headlight bracket installed under the clamp (the clamp is thicker than stock).

As for the Yosh clamp, it looks even THICKER - I think its a three bolt job. I imagine that trying to keep the stock 's' headlight stuff with the Yosh clamp would require some modifications. However, the Applied clamp will work and does a nice job stiffening the front end.

sorry bud, I'm going to keep the stuff since I may later decide I need it

I'd hate to burst anyone's bubble ...

but Cycle World recently weighed a stock 2002 DRZ400S and found it to be a portly 308 lbs. DRY (I imagine that this is with oil in the crankcase and forks along will coolant in the radiators and reservoir).

Suzuki is infamous for advertising their shipping weights not their assembled and ready to go weights. My 1993 Suzuki DR350S had a advertised weight in the low 260s but it really weighed in the mid 280s.

The DRZs are great but heavy bikes. Even greater now with a useful suspension on the "S" model, finally!

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Trail Ryder ]

Sorry Trail Ryder,

Weighed it myself full of fluids and no gas. 290 lbs for my DR-Z400S. 240 lbs wet no gas for my WR250F. Both have hand guards and skid plates too. In actuality, the weights will vary from bike to bike throughout a production run. A great deal of parts come from subcontractors which Suzuki has little control over - and there is a surprising variation in the weights of motorcycles even from the same model.

Don't believe everytrhing you read.