2006 exc speedo- Accurate?

How accurate are these things? I just got a 2006 525 EXC. Second time riding was on Saturday, and I had just figured out that "max speed" thing on the computer. The speedo seems to be fairly accurate. ? I got home and checked my "max speed" and it showed 167 KMH!!! I did get cookin' up through 5th gear, didn't quite get into 6th, but that's pretty damn fast. According to what I can find on the net, you divide by 1.6 to get convert KMH to MPH. 167kmh divided by 1.6 turns out to be 104 MPH!!! I don't think I was going anywhere near that fast. How accurate (or inaccurate) are these speedo's? I've never clocked myself on a dirtbike, but I would imagine I wasn't going any faster than maybe 75mph. ?

bmac

Have you noticed the CON-T show up yet? I have yet to figure that out.

Yes. It's a startup function. CONnection Test. Checks for proper electrical connections.

bmac

ps- I made that up. ?

Does anybody know how to change the "Max Speed" from Kmh to MPH?

I looked into this and apparently there is no fix. It's a glitch built into these speedo's. Sucks. Just divide the max speed by 1.6 to get your MPH. Who knows, maybe these things will improve my math skills. ?

bmac

I looked into this and apparently there is no fix. It's a glitch built into these speedo's. Sucks. Just divide the max speed by 1.6 to get your MPH.

Correct. These have had this glitch for 2 model years now. Hard to understand how KTM can let this kind of stuff slip through 2 years in a row. I'm not sure the 1.6 rule works, though. Most have been reporting some wildly high numbers.

I'm not sure the 1.6 rule works, though. Most have been reporting some wildly high numbers.

Find a conversion table and that's what it will tell you. ? It seemed accurate when my MAX SPEED read 88kmh. That equals out to 55mph. That seemed right. Not too sure about the 167kmh/104mph though. Can a bone stock 525 EXC do 104mph in 5th? Seems like a stretch to me!

bmac

Find a conversion table and that's what it will tell you. :crazy: It seemed accurate when my MAX SPEED read 88kmh. That equals out to 55mph. That seemed right. Not too sure about the 167kmh/104mph though. Can a bone stock 525 EXC do 104mph in 5th? Seems like a stretch to me!

bmac

The 525 can definitely do 104 in 5th.

I have a new '06 450 exc bought in Ca. My ? is in regard to jetting.

Does anyone know what is the best jetting combo (pilot. main and needle) for Reno NV and Incline Village NV? the elev. is between 4500 and 6500'.

Also my computer checks O.K. thru diagnostics but will not automatically operate thru front wheel spin, or by switching on.

Find a conversion table and that's what it will tell you. :crazy: It seemed accurate when my MAX SPEED read 88kmh. That equals out to 55mph. That seemed right. Not too sure about the 167kmh/104mph though. Can a bone stock 525 EXC do 104mph in 5th? Seems like a stretch to me!

bmac

Sorry, I was not clear. What I meant was that folks are seeing numbers like in the mid-200's for max KPH. Not very likely any KTM dirt bike is good for that kind of speed.

Also my computer checks O.K. thru diagnostics but will not automatically operate thru front wheel spin, or by switching on.

If the computer will turn on when any button is pushed but does not "wake up" when the front wheel moves, it's something to do with the pickup. Usually it's from a broken or cracked pickup, which is the part that screws into the caliper carrier. But it can also be a bad wire, lost magnet, too much gap between the magnet and the pickup or a connection to the computer.