Sign in to follow this  

"s" Battery

One thing i am adding to my winterising list is taking the countershaft sprocket of to inspect clean and grease that spacer.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: dendrz ]

last winter I ran the bike once every 2 weeks.

was fine, never had a problem

you could always bump start the bike if you had too, it's pretty easy to do that

hehe come to think of it I even ran it up and down my street through 2 feet of snow once, one time on some slippery snow I even ran it into a snow bank (didn't tip the bike though!) snow rooster tails are cool! :)

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Gyro ]

Just a quick reminder for those of you in colder climates...the DRZ battery does not like to sit for very long without being ran.

I had to recharge the battery after only 3 weeks of sitting in the garage (bike only has 1900miles).... I will prep my bike for winter this coming weekend. Looks like the Battery will be spending the winter in the basement on a Battery tender.

That would have to be this bikes biggest downfall..other than the weight. They should all come with a kick starter for those times when your batt takes a dump.

Jim,

Last winter I just left my battery in and started the bike up and let it run a bit about once a week. I never had any problems with the battery. What really needs to be done to "winterize?" the bike.

I let me street bikes sit all winter long with no battery tender on it and they start just fine in the spring.... I have a snowmobile for winter use...so I do not plan on riding the drz at all in the winter....

The cold is not good for the LCD display. We get a good amount snow in Upstate NY..so It's for the best to park the bike for the winter.

Call me tedious... But for winter storage in my unheated garage...I always drain the gas tank...refill with fresh fuel and stabalizer, remove old oil and fill the entire engine with oil right up to the filler...Grease all critical points on the bikes. Lower the air pressure in the tires and put bike on a stand. Remove air filter and stuff a clean oily rag in the intake....Plug the exhaust outlet with an oily rag. This year I will be removing the battery and storing it inside.

Don't get me wrong... I always get the itch to get the bike out in the snow...but I have snowmobiles and four wheelers for that. Just for a test....My 400ex is Battery powered like the DRZ...it sat as long as the bike, in the same garage. (~3 weeks)...the 400ex started right up. But the battery is bigger on the wheeler.

Best of luck to all of you that brave the cold on 2 wheels.

I left the batter in a golf car over winter and it ruined it it. Froze, and bulged and bent plates.

From what i was told if it had kept its charge it would not have froze.

With the Drz i am not sure that there would be much of a drain on the battery with the clock but i might remove my battery and put it in the basement just in case.

Starting the bike in extreme cold temps -20C just to charge a battery is maybe not advisable either with no block heater.

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: dendrz ]

Jim K: Tedious...no, BUT batteries are less forgiving than your carb with fuel stabilizer in it. Take 2 extra minutes to take out your $85 battery, charge it and keep it in the house!

A gel battery is not likely to freeze. Mine did discharge over the winter when my bettery tender accidentally got unplugged. It did not want to recharge with the battery tender either. However, I did a jump with my truck battery (do not jump a bike with the engine running) and then it "jumped" back to life and has not been a problem since.

I am considering getting a box of sheet metal screws and impregnating my tires on my WR - I have a riding friend that wants me to take on the snowmobile trails this winter. He goes at night so as to be able to see the snowmobiles when they are coming and not wind up in the deep snow. Do I go for it?

Originally posted by z4me:

I am considering getting a box of sheet metal screws and impregnating my tires on my WR - I have a riding friend that wants me to take on the snowmobile trails this winter. He goes at night so as to be able to see the snowmobiles when they are coming and not wind up in the deep snow. Do I go for it?

In these parts there is big war on about snowmobile trails. The fourwheeler clubs want to run on trails all year and the snowmobilers say their wheels are ruining their groomed trails.

I ride my bike on these trails in summer/fall but in winter i snowmobile them.

Backwoods trails are a scream on snowmobile, never tried my bike, worst problem would be the gear you would have to wear to stay warm with no screen. A snowmobile works best on cold nights such as -20 C even my 500cc Indy Trail can reach 80 to 90MPH in the right conditions and it is not a racer by any means so remember sleds at night can come at you pretty fast.

Biggest problem around here is drinking and sledding, claims alot of lives.

Originally posted by dendrz:

Biggest problem around here is drinking and sledding, claims alot of lives.

I hear you there. One of my other riding buddies just gave up snowmobiling because his bro in law got into an accident with a drunk. The drunk filed a lawsuit against him.

On the other hand I am sure it would be an awesome riding experience. The trails here are full of roots and rocks - this would be a rare opportunity to cruise!!! I am on the fence on this one!!!

The first snowmobile i bought (still have it too) was a 340 Yamaha, i figured it was agood way to find trails for spring for my Kdx and it was as lot of the trails dissappear in spring because they are too rough for the fourwheelers but are excellent for two-wheeler fun so i find them and then run em and maintain em all year.

Its always amazes me at what you travel over at speed in winter is like in spring, swamp and so on.

Huge war here too... I mean between the wheelers, sleds and even bikes.

The snowmobile guys will not give...very very selfish. Want the trails only for them.

Now ...I snowmobile...hell, I just bought a new viper...No snow yet.

I'm cool as hell when on the sled...But if they see me coming on the banshee or DRZ...I get labeled and told to leave. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I pay for registration at all.