Disgusted DRZ Owner

I have spend MANY hours trying to dial my bike in after rejetting to 165 main, 48 pilot, complete White bros exhaust, Uni Air filter, snorkle pulled. No matter what I do, the bike runs the same, strong on the bottom end, sputter at top end. I have switched to 145 main per WB suggestion, I have brought my needle clip back up to stock, I even put the stock header pipe back on as I thought maybe I had an exhaust leak, changed spacers on my pipe a few times, put snorkle back in, rode around with airbox cover off, you name it, I have done it, everything short of going back to completely stock and I have a funny feeling even if I do that it still probably wont run right. I suppose I will just have to bring it to the dealer or White Bros and have them check it out but I really dont feel like paying someone.. Any final suggestions would be welcomed.

Last thought, IF that is the rev limiter that I am hitting at high rpm (it feels like a sputter) then I simply have the wrong motorcycle.. I am at the point where I would like to go to the Yamaha dealer and buy a 426.

I agree with Bill. You got that bike opened up so it can breath and exhale so it revs a lot faster and higher hitting the rev limiter. Short shift the bike. It has a real meaty mid range. If you run in the open dessert you might want higher gearing like the S has.

By the way, if you are near sea level do your valves and piston a favor and put the 165 main back in.

Perry

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: perryg114 ]

It does indeed sound as if you are encuontering the rev limiter. Might I suggest a new engine management computer perhaps from Yoshi? That should take care of the rev limiter problem. But now you will run into week valve springs wich are going to cause your valves to float at high rpms so, a new set of valve springs are in order. You had better order some new valves while you are at though because the stockers won't hold up well to the new springs and eventually will "cup" so put the new valves in as well. Then you run into the problem of hard vales vrs. soft valve seats. What to do? Simple either shift earlier or get another bike more adapted to your preferred riding style.

BRIAN400, EXACTLY.. In order to make it the bike I want I have to either change my riding style or buy TONS of parts to make it into the bike I really want. I would rather just buy a different bike.. Dont mean to be a jerk but this DRZ400 thing has been very disappointing. I mean you buy the bike, then you have to put like $2,000 into it to make it the bike I thought it was going to be.. Ive heard so many good things about the 426 that I think THAT may be the bike I am looking for.. lighter, more powerful, better suspended, etc. The DRZ feels heavy and does not seem to handle jumping very well, the front shocks get all out of shape when you land, mind you, Im not Jeremy McGrath but the bike feels unstable.. Any experience on the 426?? I rode a YZF400 for a few laps and it felt pretty good..

Sound's like you need to change your bike, if it's not delivering what you want and you are not enjoying owning the bike get rid of it(if thats a viable option),

Fortunatly you live the USA where dirt bikes are cheap(well compared to the UK that is), just keep going to you find your dirtbike soulmate,

Regards

Sunny

Well, I have been riding alot of desert but I do like to go the the track as well, I havent been going to the track because the DRZ just isnt set up all that great for it. In the desert I still like to jump it if I can find somthing good and ride alot of whoops, hills, etc. I admit I am not the greatest rider and my technique could improve but the bike just feels heavy in teh woops and when I jump, then land the front wobbles, in addition, I am now worried that I will be heading for a jump, it will start to sputter and I will rejoin the "Over the Bars" Club!! All of these things are definitely not helping me become a better rider. I DONT like 2 stroke 250s as they are just TOO light and scary fast, thus I am thinking the YZF426 may be perfect for me.. I will miss the electric start but oh well.. DR. BillZ, have you spent some time on a 426?? I rode a YZF400 for a few laps and it felt lighter, more powerful and easier to handle then the DRZ, I almost crashed it at the track though so I gave it back to my buddy after a few laps as I didnt want to damage his bike, but if felt like after I got used to it it would be perfect ..

I agree with you about the DRZ in the whoops, not its element (at least with the stock suspension). Either that or I just suck. My roommate on his YZ400 flat smokes me in the whoops.

It would be great if dealers would let us test ride a bike before buying it.

AlexK, I ride almost exclusively these days with my buddy who has a 00 KX250, dude, he SMOKES me on the woops, I go out in front, start to get tired(alot of that is my fault for letting myself get out of shape), I slow, then he just FLYS by me, this pattern repeats every time we go riding.. I think a little lighter bike may do me some good..

Take a break from it for a while. When you get your emotions back under control start at the basics. Take the fuel line off the carb and make sure you have good flow from the tank. Maybe there is a blockage? How about a new plug in the right heat range? What about the plug wire? Check your valve clearance. Weak valve springs can have a effect on top end for sure. Maybe you have a bad cam lobe. Vacuum leaks? Only make one change at a time and then test ride. Write down what you changed and then write down the results. It will be more clear when you look at the info this way.

After you get the engine dialed in then you will be able to concentrate on the suspension. Even if you decide you want to get rid of the bike give yourself a reasonable length of time to think this through. You have invested a lot of time and money in this. Lastly don't forget to take the opportunity to remind me of all this crapp the next time I have a problem. I never practice what I preach!

Paul,

I have a 2001 DRZ off/road also and have made the identical mods......white bros-e series w/6 plates #165 main ,snorkel-less, blah bah blah and it also sputters,but the sputter is the rev limiter....short shift a bit and enjoy the torque.

And I ride in B class harescrambles and finish many a sandy whooped out coarse just fine.I also ride with 2 yamahas a 2000 yz426 and a WR426 also and they eat dust in a drag but handle me with ease in the fast whoops and mega jumps.Also in ECEA there is a guy running A 4-stroke with the same bike and winning alot of races! He has sprung it to weight and revalved it to get there.This is what I plan on doing also. John ?

JRindel, Thank you! I have been waiting for SOMEONE to say exactly what you just said! Nice to know that there is most likely nothing wrong with my bike, its just the combination of mods, I WILL try to shift shorter and enjoy, however I will be actively looking for a new ride while I do so. Good luck with your bike

My riding partner has a YZ426, and believe me, it has it's share of problems also. With every 20 deg. temp shift or major humidity flucuation, you need to rejet. If it gets too cold, better put in the hotter CR7E spark plug or your gonna foul. Not to mention the learning the starting "drill". I would pretty much assume the WR426 is the same. By the way I rode the CRF450 the other day, and believe it to have better characteristics than the Yamaha. The power is more tractable, (better for trails), and it pulls forever. But I'm with the other guys, the DRZ needs to be shifted alot more than the 426 or the 2-smokes.

paul

drop your needle two clips. i think you'll be sorted. if that doesn't do it don't put the needle back azwaz put the MJ back up to the 165.

didn't say what you did with that APJ. always reply to people. it's polite.

Taffy

Taffy, Sorry about the no reply on the APJ, you'll have to excuse my manners.. I hooked it back up and there was no discernable difference.

RE: Needle Clip, been there, done that.. had it stock first, then dropped clip one notch, then all the way, now brought it back up to stock, no difference...I will put the 165 back in though, it seemed to have a little more power with that jet..

I've ridden the YZ400 and 426. I don't care for them because I ride tight woods. I think either of them would be much better suited for desert racing than a DRZ. But the DRZ can be made into a decent desert bike with a little work.

The DRZ suspensions is too soft for that kind of riding. Respringing and revalving would be needed.

Paul put the the bike back the way you had it with the jetting, Uni Filter, snorkel removed and raise the needle one notch(clip one notch down)and put your exhaust back on including header. 145 main is too lean. You had a good setup. You are hitting the rev limiter I am sure. I run a different ignition module which lets it rev a little more but I have a complete different motor.You need to shift when you are in the meat of the power band. Don't try and ride it like a two stroke. You will get to the rev limiter especially in dry slick conditions. The Suzuki's do sound like a carb problem when getting to the rev limiter. My Ducati's just cut out for an instant when you hit the limiter.

Oh! by the way, we have a YZ426 and it does the same thing if you rev it to the limiter. Just learn to ride it a little different. You have a very good bike. Go and have fun with it.

Originally posted by Paul Zeglovitch:

I have spend MANY hours trying to dial my bike in after rejetting to 165 main, 48 pilot, complete White bros exhaust, Uni Air filter, snorkle pulled. No matter what I do, the bike runs the same, strong on the bottom end, sputter at top end. I have switched to 145 main per WB suggestion, I have brought my needle clip back up to stock, I even put the stock header pipe back on as I thought maybe I had an exhaust leak, changed spacers on my pipe a few times, put snorkle back in, rode around with airbox cover off, you name it, I have done it, everything short of going back to completely stock and I have a funny feeling even if I do that it still probably wont run right. I suppose I will just have to bring it to the dealer or White Bros and have them check it out but I really dont feel like paying someone.. Any final suggestions would be welcomed.

Last thought, IF that is the rev limiter that I am hitting at high rpm (it feels like a sputter) then I simply have the wrong motorcycle.. I am at the point where I would like to go to the Yamaha dealer and buy a 426.

I think you are hitting the rev limiter. I also don't think you necessarily need a new bike. You may just need a new riding style. Just get used to shifting earlier.

The new pipe allows the bike to rev up quicker and you are subsequently hitting the rev limiter quicker than you are used to. You will get used to it. I rarely let the bike rev that high now and used to hit the limiter all the time. Really, I don't even think about it now.........