Sign in to follow this  

Places to go in alberta?

Hey folks

I have been reading through this forum and it seems that alberta is a good place to ride. Trouble is, I don't know of many places since I just started riding again. I live in Edmonton and I know of cloverbar and Bruderhiem, but that is about it. Can anyone recomend some places in the vicinity to check out?

Also for may long weekend coming up I am going to cadomine caves. Does anyone know of good spots to bike on the way or near cadomine?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I've been to Mountain Park (further into the mountains) a few years ago, but I think the area is closed for the Cheviot Mine.

I have snowmobiled around Cadomin so there should be lots of trails around there. Phone some bike shops in Edson or Hinton. Brule Lake is great if you like sand dunes.

Hey man I live out in Tofield (1/2 hour east of Edmonton) There are a ton of places to go around Edmonton. Smokey Lake is good for some tight trails / wide open trails . Long Lake / Buck Lake / Hope Lake you could ride for days and never hit the same triails. Athabasca has the peace river trail which is a awesome ride (but lots of mud / downed trees) The list goes on & on. Let me know if you want to know how to get out to some of these areas.

Thanks for all the replies! I know alberta has somes sweet places to go it's just a matter of finding them. I really like trail riding where you can just ride half a day without hitting the same spots.

Gordhunt, funny that you're from tofield since that's actually where I picked up my bike. Perhaps from one of you cronies...

I would really apreciate some directions to the places you mentioned. maybe from a few of the places closer to E-town. Many thanks

You might get some directions from the albertadualsport webapage, thats how i got directions to bruderheim.

M

i live in lac la biche 2 hours north of edmonton and there is tons of places to ride around here but last summer we went brule lake sand dunes by hinton thats the place to go we are having another trip out there in july some times

Westlock has a track, Vegreville has a track, Bud Park (drag race place) by the airport has a track. Ask some of the MX bike dealers they should be able to help you out.

Where is the Ne dump location ? How does one find directions ?

Also, redwater OHV has trail riding for quads, bikes and snowmobiles.

We should setup a ride one Saturday or Sunday and I'll take you guys out to Smoky Lake, Bruderheim, Redwater and Long Lake and show you where the trails are are how to get to them.

To get to the dump just ride out to Cloverbar dump and straight West of the entrance is a fairly big area with trails / hills etc... you can ride in. Just go out there on a Saturday and you'll be able to find it easily as there are usually lots of bikes / quads / trucks there even though it's supposodely off limits.

Hello! I went around Cow lake were the road ends(South of Rocky Mtn house), nice place, small mountains, nice view. some place is a bit muddy tho but generally is really nice for Riding.!

hey dude. if you are going to the caves, keep in mind that you cant really ride there.we used to ride from there but those days are over. that is the wildhorse campground just out of the town of cadomin. the caves are awesome to do a hike , but if you are more into riding than hiking i would go another 40 Km ( very slow and winding road) all the way across the cardinal divide to the ruby creek area. it will take you at least another hour but you can random camp anywhere down there and if you hook up with some local campers you will see some of the most rugged untouched riding that there is in western canada. you really need to hook up with someone like myself to show you the good stuff (bushwacking straight to the alpine and canyon riding) the gov has shut down lots of trails because apparantley mining and gas exploration does less damage to the enviroment than us guys on two wheels!!! riding the trails that they catapillar "D9 ' ed" through for the last twenty years has no impact on the enviroment i guess, but when we ride our bikes on there destuction i guess we are the ones to blame!!! sorry for the rant, i have been riding out there for 20 years and they are limiting us yearly and it doesnt make sense. i would suggest that you get your but out there and ride as much as you can before we are banned completley. if you want to got out there email my account and i will give you detailed directions how to get there. camp at ruby to ride and if you want to do some cave exploring (spelunking?) then jukmp in the truck one morning and drive about an hour and explore the biggest cave system around. hope this was helpfull.

chris jepsen

dangerousley close to some awesome riding my friend!! head to prairie creek (south on 756 ) good there. head farther south to the trunk road (940) and hang a left and another right a while later to the cut off creek turn off, and there is some good stuff down there( although surrounded by giant rivers). or go back to the trunk road and 756 intersection and go straight and head west to the david thompson,nordegg area. good stuff there as well. need more info?? email me and i can give you solid directions. no idiots please!! pick up your garbage and stop for the fish cops with your insurance and reg!!!

chris jepsen