type of fuel used in New Zealand

to the kiwi's out there.

what type of fuel are you running in your YZ250F? I've been running BP ultimate 98 in my 06 - someone told me there's some additive that doesn't agree with the bike?

thanks in advance for your comments

hey man, i know its not New Zealand but its close!! Here in Victoria, Australia all we use is Mobil Synergy, dont ever use Shell Optimax, that is the worst stuff ever, that made my bike run sooo bad so many times, changed to mobil and never had a single problem. Hope that helps mate.

Tom.

Yer im in australia, Vic and i also was wondering about which sorta fuel to get.... So Shell is no good huh? Woah thats not a good sign! I guess ill have to tell my folks to get me mobile :S What were you saying about 50/50 before snuffy?

Yer im in australia, Vic and i also was wondering about which sorta fuel to get.... So Shell is no good huh? Woah thats not a good sign! I guess ill have to tell my folks to get me mobile :S What were you saying about 50/50 before snuffy?

Shell seems to foul plugs and run poor. I think it is a common problem in any bike Australia wide.

Avgas is like nitro in a 2 stroke, the gains with the 4 stroke are there, but not as much. If you can get your hands on some toluine (paint thinner and main ingredient in octane boost), mix that up 50/50 for good rocket fuel.

Caltex supposed to have a new hipo fuel out now too. I like bp ultimate personally, but now stuck using normal 95 premo.

Who is they? :crazy:
Me, for one. Avgas, even "low lead", is loaded with lead. Run it long enough, and everything in your combustion chamber will be coated with it to the point that there will be beads of it around, or even on, your spark plug.

Furthermore, AvGas is formulated for an engine that runs at a steady, low RPM, and at high altitudes and low temperatures. The vaporization rates are so far from optimal for a high RPM motorcycle engine that the fuel usually arrives at the combustion chamber way under-vaporized, and the result of that is normally that it must be jetted richer to compensate for the fuel that didn't burn in the chamber. It also doesn't respond well to rapid changes in the advance curve and throttle opening.

Any gains people claim to get from AvGas in a 4-stroke are generally imaginary, although it is possible that the user's pump gas is just so bad that almost anything would run better. MX two strokes that really do need research octane numbers of 100 or more may benefit from that aspect, but your thumper doesn't need more than 95 (RON), so there's no advantage to running more than that.

AvGas is a Black Feather, nothing more.

grayracer, Is it ok to mix Avgas/ 98..50/50?

Me, for one. Avgas, even "low lead", is loaded with lead. Run it long enough, and everything in your combustion chamber will be coated with it to the point that there will be beads of it around, or even on, your spark plug.

Furthermore, AvGas is formulated for an engine that runs at a steady, low RPM, and at high altitudes and low temperatures. The vaporization rates are so far from optimal for a high RPM motorcycle engine that the fuel usually arrives at the combustion chamber way under-vaporized, and the result of that is normally that it must be jetted richer to compensate for the fuel that didn't burn in the chamber. It also doesn't respond well to rapid changes in the advance curve and throttle opening.

Any gains people claim to get from AvGas in a 4-stroke are generally imaginary, although it is possible that the user's pump gas is just so bad that almost anything would run better. MX two strokes that really do need research octane numbers of 100 or more may benefit from that aspect, but your thumper doesn't need more than 95 (RON), so there's no advantage to running more than that.

AvGas is a Black Feather, nothing more.

...all I know is don't try and add your Dad's absolute alcohol cleaner to your two strokes gas. Memorable childhood experience....talk about diesel effect independant of throttle and kill switch..... :crazy: