Cornering Tips

When delivered from the dealer the tops of the fork tubes are flush to the top of the triple clamp. Raise the fork tube up to the first line on the outside of the fork tube (appx. 10 mm?). Definitely get rid of the stock front tire (I run Dunlop 755) and I have also found you really need to get over the front of the bike when cornering hard.

Definitely get rid of the stock front tire (I run Dunlop 755)

What front tyre does the bike come with in the US? I'm used to using a 742 but my bike came with a 739. I crashed really hard on the weekend because the front washed out when I hit the brakes like I normally would. I think I'll change it.

U.S. models come with a 739. It's a good tire for hard, packed surfaces, like dry, rolled out clay, concrete, or asphalt. Any looser than that, and you're asking for it. (BTW, 739 fronts were very widely used at the San Diego Supercross this year). I like the D756 or Bridgestone M401/M601 better.

If this is your first 4-stroke, you will notice that you need more weight over the front going in than with a 2-stroke. Leaning the bike in more will make it more willing to turn, and getting your inside foot up forward will help, too. But if the front lets go, be ready to open the throttle and stand it up some. That will usually end the push and set the back end out a bit (or a lot, if you're reckless about it). Then just point it at the exit and shoot.

Don't try to haul butt through the turns, take your time and the speed will come. You need to be smooth to be fast. Remember to use good form, elbows up, stand up if there are alot of braking bumps as long as you can. Do the majority of your braking prior to the start of the turn and be smooth with the throttle.

U.S. models come with a 739. It's a good tire for hard, packed surfaces, like dry, rolled out clay, concrete, or asphalt. Any looser than that, and you're asking for it. (BTW, 739 fronts were very widely used at the San Diego Supercross this year). I like the D756 or Bridgestone M401/M601 better.

Thanks, the worst part is that I wasn't even cornering when the front washed out, I was braking while going straight on hard pack covered with sandy loose dirt! It definitely surprised me. I've got a spare 742, so I'll put that on ASAP. Cheers.

If you're on an 06, raise the forks to the first line, then change front tire. Mine is extremely stable now.

i hate the way this bike corners, did all the tips with forks, raised the bar, new tire and it feels heavy and totally unpredictable needs way too much input to corner..........

i hate the way this bike corners, did all the tips with forks, raised the bar, new tire and it feels heavy and totally unpredictable needs way too much input to corner..........

I also hated the '06 when I first picked it up. After a lot of tinkering around with fork height and clicker settings I am now amazed at the corner speed this bike is capable of.

At the track that I ride the problem corner that kept me working on the bike is a fast choppy left hand sweeper, which is followed by a long straight and a tight left hand 180. I just couldn't get it to do anything comfortable and always ended up wallowing to the far outside berm.

Saturday I was able to hang an almost invisible middle line at full speed while my competition mostly went for that outside line. I made a pass there almost every lap. One of the guys I was racing against was jumping a big double that I wasn't which put him in front of me there for several laps in a row. First I passed him in the sweeper and he jumped back by. Next I passed him by taking the inside line in the following hairpin where he took the outside. He jumped past me again and blocked me by taking the inside line the next lap. I took his outside line and made the pass. This time I nerved up and doubled and was able to pull away. It was a blast. We were elbow to elbow for about five laps with the new Yamaha just killing the fellow on his new Honda in all the turns.

Don't give up on it. I didn't and now I've got a bike that turns like it is on rails.

--KT--'03 YZ450F for sale

I am not sure what bike you are riding but my 06 absolutely rails corners....I suggest going in faster with a gear higher than normal....I have found that my front end sticks really good depending on my body position...typically a little forward to more forward on the seat - I use Michelin Starcross Ms3's...

Try going in faster and using even the smallest berm/rut to rail...Saturday I was practicing this as well as hardpack/with some lose stuff....you have to change the position of your body (go forward) and use that leg extended out....it did not matter what terrain I was on...although the harder the more power sliding occurred at the rear wheel....

Also sag and rebound affect this...make sure that these are set correctly :crazy:

I am not sure what bike you are riding but my 06 absolutely rails corners....I suggest going in faster with a gear higher than normal....I have found that my front end sticks really good depending on my body position...typically a little forward to more forward on the seat - I use Michelin Starcross Ms3's...

Try going in faster and using even the smallest berm/rut to rail...Saturday I was practicing this as well as hardpack/with some lose stuff....you have to change the position of your body (go forward) and use that leg extended out....it did not matter what terrain I was on...although the harder the more power sliding occurred at the rear wheel....

Also sag and rebound affect this...make sure that these are set correctly :crazy:

an 06 previously owned all other current 450s...this bike is the least nimble and has the heaviest feeling front end....everything good as far as setup, its just a yamaha trait. as far as cornering technique as you mentioned body forward leg out etc,etc......that is a givin with any bike.....tire selection depends on terrain your riding.

Don't know what to say about this.

May just be riding style. I love the way mine sticks and corners. I did have to play with bar positions, tire pressure and such, but this was just for my preference. Good luck with your setup.

You know, everyone always says get the correct tire for your terrain. This of course makes sence. However, I ride mostly at a very very hard packed clay track (lake elsinore), and whenever I run an intermediate to hard tire like the D739 or Maxxis IT, it doesn't come anywhere close to the traction I get with a soft terrain tire like the D756 or MS3. Weird.

an 06 previously owned all other current 450s...this bike is the least nimble and has the heaviest feeling front end....everything good as far as setup, its just a yamaha trait. as far as cornering technique as you mentioned body forward leg out etc,etc......that is a givin with any bike.....tire selection depends on terrain your riding.

I hate to say it like this Dunn2500, but this statement is B.S.

The 1999-2002 YZF's handled like this and until I fixed my 03 with new linkage it also did this...to say the 06 is the least nimble and has the heaviest front end....is your opinion and Dirt Rider magazine has a job offer for you....sell your bike and buy a CRF... :crazy:

You know, everyone always says get the correct tire for your terrain. This of course makes sence. However, I ride mostly at a very very hard packed clay track (lake elsinore), and whenever I run an intermediate to hard tire like the D739 or Maxxis IT, it doesn't come anywhere close to the traction I get with a soft terrain tire like the D756 or MS3. Weird.

i run a 952 at elsinore and it works really well....I felt my 756 was a little skatey