My new 650

Cool, man. Having had nothing but street bikes in the past, it took me about 1000 miles before I really started liking my 650SE. I'm 95% on pavement, but the first time I took off down a washed out dirt road, I was grinning from ear to ear thinking about how a big V-twin couldn't begin to do that.

Thanks for the replies!

I feel like my battlescars will come sooner than later. There's LOTS of deep sand around where I live, and I've already had some very close calls at speed through the stuf... really need to buy some more dirt oriented tires. I've been doing a lot of off road riding since I got it, and I'm really loving it... could be lighter, but then so could I.... and it's a blast on the poorly paved backroads around home!

:crazy:

OH NO!! Why didn't you ask here first??? The blue one is MUCH faster!!!!

Actually... I was originally wanting the blue one... but the dealer didn't have one. AND... the bike was a surprise gift from my wife for my birthday. She asked me about which color I wanted a couple of months ago, sort of non-chalantly, and I said either... I just wanted a dualsport! I can't believe she actually got it for me! I've been campaigning to buy one for a year or more now, and have been getting the "You'll shoot your eye out, kid" response.

What a surprise.... best birthday ever. And yes my wife IS awesome! :crazy:

DoubleD wrote:

Be sure to get gid of those 'Death Wings' on the new ride..

You want to live to lover 'er? Then make a boat bummper out of those stock tires... If you have been in the mud yet I'm sure you know what I'm talking about"

What tires do you have on your bike? I had a KTM RXC620 with the Metzler Saharas that were excellent onroad tires and okay offroad except full on mud pit. The tires on the new bike are great on road, but haven't taken them offroad yet. I ride mostly trails in SC in the State Forest (Enoree). Not too much mud usually (they close the trails after heavy rain) mostly just hardpack with some sand thrown in. The DR650 has been great so far, just had the first service done. Woohoo what a ride!! :crazy:

Thanks for the replies, guys... been having a blast with the new toy. can't wait to get it broken in, but have a couple hundred miles to go. so far been riding 50/50 street/offroad... which means lots of sand. haven't dumped it yet, but i know what everyone's saying about the Deathwings... very bad in deep sand. I've had some very scary moments, and now just go slow through sand/mud until I get some new shoes....