Sign in to follow this  

Crf230 Vs Xr200

How does the XR 200 compare to the CRF 230? I know the 230 has an electric starter but, suspension wise and power?

I think the XR has better suspension

OK, how so?? Is it stiffer, softer, plusher or what? How about the power?

I think the XR has better suspension

You must be confusing the XR250 with the XR200. The 200 has no adjustability like the 230. The 230 is just dimensionally larger I believe.

The 250 is adjustable and would equate to better as your more likely to find a setting you prefer.

Honda actually put much better suspension components on the XR200 during the mid eighties. I don't remember the years exactly, but the bikes then had 10+ inches of adjustable travel and were quite good handling.

For some reason Honda decided to "neuter" the XR200. They installed similar to what the last XR200's had for suspension components and for a short time I recall they even had chrome steel rims :crazy:

The CRF230 is a cut above the last XR200 offering (2002 model) While still not offering any suspension damping adjustments, the stock suspension does a good job overall. With a few mods the suspension becomes quite off-road worthy.

The e-start, front disc brake, and other "modernizing" make the CRF230 a better bike, no question.

i have a 230f and dad has a 200r. the xr200r is a 2002, i say its weekest link is its suspension. the 230 seems to have more get and go to it, like a pop that has all its fiz left compared to a pop with none. im not saying i dont like the 200r, its an excellent bike, but i like riding the 230 better. all you have to do is a few upgrades and you can do alot of things with these two bikes.

P.S. oldtimer this is ridehard off of crfsonly.com

P.S. oldtimer this is ridehard off of crfsonly.com

Hey Bud! I don't post here often but drop in now and again.

• Like 1

Yeah...same here. I shouldve been thinking better when i made an account here to have my name ridehard....but o well. later.

I have a '2005 CRF230F, last week I got a well used 1982 XR200R for cheap.

After riding both, the XR200R is noticeably faster than than the (stock) CRF230. Unfortunately, I do not know what internal modifications (cam, valves) have been done to the XR200, but it does have a vintage SUPERTRAPP muffler with 6 washers, it's relatively quiet but quick too. The motor is torquey, but has a noticeble powerband "hit" in the mid to high RPM that is missing from the CRF.

Comparing the 2 bikes, the CRF obviously has the better suspension (newer), but overall, I would have to say they are roughly similar. Due to the CRF230 being a lot newer, it is a bit more sophisticated, better brakes, etc. The XR200 has drum brakes, which do get hot and tend to get a little weak & fade on long fast downhill use. Not too bad, just noticable. I would have to say that the XR200R is more similar to the XR250 type bikes, perhaps a bit more 'serious' as far as intended use.

After riding it for a few hours, I find it's surprising how powerful an old 24 year old 2-valve XR200 motor can still be. I am now determined to "unleash" a bit more performance from the CRF230, they appear to have virtually identical top end specs for the motor.