ktm street legal

does anyone have a street legal 525? how does it perform? been on honda's for years. have a street legal cr500 (got it years ago when still able) to loud, not exacty good for the neighbors or riding thru someones back yard. live in seattle area i dont see any good used 525 or 450's that are street legal. anyone know if can buy elsewhere and bring in? any help is appreciated

I've got an '04 525 EXC street legal in CA and it works great for short commutes, trips to the store, or connecting trails. I do a 30 mile each way commute on back roads (about once or twice a week) which allows me to vary the speeds a lot. Since this is a racing bke, I wouldn't want to do extended periods at freeway speed but I've had it up to 80 on the pavement and it handled perfectly.

The stock pipe is not the quietist pipe I've ever heard, but it's definitely more quiet than the Harleys rumbling through the neighborhood.

Depending on the type of riding you want from it, a 525 would be a great bike that you wouldn't be disappointed in. I don't know the DMV laws in WA, but I would think that you could at least import any currently street legal bike and title it in your state.

I have an 03 525 EXC Plated in CA. As the other thumper wrote, it's great for little trips around town. I have had it up to 95 on the road w/out problems, but I just use the plate for fire roads and such. As long as you change the oil/filters often and adjust the valves every fifteen hours, the bike will keep running stong.

It's hard to admit this, but the 06 Husky's come street legal (all 50 states) and are comprable to the KTMs in everyway but weight. I hear their heavy. If you can't find a KTM w/ a plate, you might try Husky.

I keep reading about these models with a "plate" - what does that mean? I am assuming you added turn signals, mirrors, brake lights, front lights, etc. If so , is there a kit you buy or did you do it yourself? Am interested in making a KTM "street legal" in Missouri - just curious what needs to be done.

Check with your local DMV. In most states unless the bike is designed from the manufacture for highway use it will be a no go. Unless you are doing it some kind of shady way. Here in Hawaii they check for the sticker that says "this vehicle is designed for use on public roads and highways", they also check that the MSO says the same. Thats why I got the TE. I thought the 07 KTM's were to be street legal however it seems that rumor is fizzling out. I know of some friends who bought a converted dirt bike only to get disappointed when it was time to re register again. Be carefull.

I myself live in the Seattle area.

You can license a KTM for the street no prob in WA. Ask the dealer to do the paper work. I was suprised to find this out.

The title on the brand new bikes dont state off road or on road... it's blank.

I heard a salesman from Hinshaw's a few different times. SO... Get any KTM you want and tell them what you want.

SO, get a KTM and tell them to license it for you.

BTW, read my post for a few weeks ago on this issue. Should help.

Yup, as long as you buy a new KTM RFS, they are licensable. You can buy out of state or local. The Certificates of Origin do not say "For Off-Road Use Only". You just buy the bike and buy the plates and ORV stickers. No inspection is needed, it's up to you to meet the road legal requirements on your own. If you buy local, have the dealer do it for you. If you buy out-of-state, just take the C.O.E. with the odometer statement on the back filled out and signed along with your sales slip to the County Auditor. You'll walk out with a plate and ORV stickers for your bike. I did it with an out-of state 450 EXC purchase and a friend did it at the dealer locally for a 525 SX.

When asked, if doing it on your own, if it is an off-road or road bike, just say "both" or "dualsport". Buy both the ORV stickers and plates, as sooner or later you will find the plates alone are not enough to ride everywhere. You can always buy the ORV stickers later, but not plates if you already just have the ORV stickers. Just get the hard to get plates right at the start and get it over with. ORV stickers are easy to get for any vehicle in WA.