Sign in to follow this  

Billingsly, AL Harescramble Helmetcam

This is my first helmetcam vid. and is from a SERA Harescramble in Billingsly, AL. Its 6 mins 50 sec. and 20MB in .wmv format which took over 3 hours to upload... I wish I could get more than dial-up out here :crazy:

I'm pretty sure I uploaded the right vid.; I encoded it about a billion times with Xvid and Divx, then tryed Windows media encoder again (the first time it sucked) and it was pretty good for 20MB. Its hard to compress something that changes constantly like a helmetcam. (compressing video uses "key" frames that has all the info to make that frame, and the next 10 frames or so are just what is different from that key frame, which works great if the cam is stationary)

Anyway heres my description/disclaimer/whatever...

I found some sound effects that I just had to put in so if you don't like them... too bad :ride:

I had a HORRIBLE start (it was dead start) since I was thinking about the cam too much, but came back to get 3rd in OPEN C :ride: I sure had to pass alot of people in that race.

Yes, it is pretty open compared to most of the races around here.

The loop was a little less than 8 miles and I went 5 laps.

Believe it or not I think the cam makes it look easy.

Thats all I can think of right now so here's the vid...

http://media.putfile.com/Billingsly-Harescramble

Joel

Hey man, that was awesome. Nice vid. You had some hilarious sound effects in there. Woulda been kinda cool to hear the bikes some, but the music was cool too. I can never decide whether to use music or bike sounds. Great job though. Thanks for postin er up. :ride::crazy:

I didn't have a mic. since I figured I'd put music to it anyway, but I do plan to put a mic. eventually (I have one but I would need to rig it up).

Thanks for the comments,

Joel

A good codec for encoding stuff is h.264. Get Quicktime 7 Pro (www.apple.com) and you are able to export your footage out as a .mov file but with the H264 codec. I compressed 4 min 30 seconds, at 320 x 240, 29.97 frames per second, and at a pretty high bitrate (400 kbps or so) and the file size was only 12.6mb. Plus the quality is really good.

Here is some footage of me mountain biking with the h264 codec.

Click Here: Ridge Trail (MTB)

The codes 50 times better than most of the stuff you see on this forum or on the net (WMV, etc).

Putfile and those other hosting sites sort of suck.

Just get a free website and get a decent amount of storage. Then just upload the stuff to your own FTP site.

Just a thought anyways. It saves time in the long run.

aww. i was hopin you would show me stuck in the mud hole. :ride:

great video, joel. that track sure was tougher than what that showed. I dont think we can go riding anymore, your getting too fast! :crazy:

So I guess the link works half the time?

I'll try the 264 codec... thanks.

aww. i was hopin you would show me stuck in the mud hole.

Well you're not on there for long and you sure couldn't tell who you are after its compressed, I'll try to bring you a CD or DVD with as much as I can fit on it.

that track sure was tougher than what that showed.

Yeah I gave up on putting the mud in it b/c you can't see the mud after its compressed and you just wonder why I slowed down a bit. And like I said in the first post, I think the camera makes it look easy since even huge bumps are barely noticeable on the cam.

Any other comments/recommendations for next time are appreciated.

Joel

i want to do somthin like that. i need to find out when the next HS is at the SVRA by me.

that woods stuff looked pretty crazy.

Ya great vid but you should get engine sound in that vid then it would be somuch better.