KLX300 Throttle Options

I am not a fan of the stock throttle on my KLX, it doesn't feel smooth at all. I was wondering if a push-pull throttle was needed, or if a single cable throttle could be used. I'd like to put a Motion Pro Whirlpull style throttle on the bike, but all of the aftermarket throttles are for single cable setups.

It's not "needed" it'll work fine with a single cable. The double cable is a safety thing. Allows you to close the throttle if the return spring breaks or the cables drag or some such.

I agree with brewster. In addition, the two locking nuts and the corresponding adjustment on the carb end is extremely critical to a smoothly operating throttle. A mis adjustment of as little as a 16th of an inch will make the throttle sticky feeling or mushy feeling. Have a look at that.

Bill P,

I recently destroyed my stock throttle and bars so of course I am going to the KX Renthals on my KLX with the KX Throttle and grips. I have never replaced a throttle before but am decently mechanically inclined. It does not seem like a tricky job other than just connecting the cable to the new throttle tube. Are there any tips I should know before I do this?

I am just trying to avoid the normal process of 1. assemble incorrectly, 2. test it, 3. disassemble, 4. re-assemble, 5. break something, 6. then get a new one and get a buddy to help get it right the second time around tradition.

Kenn

It's a brand new '05 carry-over that I just took delivery of two months ago. I was never happy with the throttle, so I took it apart and lubed the nylon guides the cables run in and the cables as well two days ago. The Motion Pro and other similar throttles have a guide that rotates with the cable instead of having them run in these stationary nylon guides. I also waxed my handlebar under the throttle tube thinking that may be the problem. To me, the stock throttle appears to be very cheap. I could try an aluminum tube, but I don't think that would help either.

Husker - you are describing perfectly the unbalanced adjustment problem of a 2 cable system like the KLX has. I'd be willing to bet you that if you fool with the adjustments on the carb end, you will get the cable snapping perfectly. This is a common problem and unless the two adjusters are adjusted properly, the throttle is sluggish and feels like.....ugh. Adjust it right and you will be happy. A new throttle tube will not necessarily fix the problem. You'll still have two cables that are out of adjustment. Because the KLX has a CVK carb, it does not have the heavy spring type of return that other carbs have. Get it right and you'll be OK with it.

In addition, if you want a 1/4 turn throttle, you can do the mod for this that's on planetKLX.com. You drill the arm in a different place and your throttle turn will be much shorter, faster and the bike will "apparently" be more responsive, although that's really only an illusion. You just don't have to turn your hand as far to get to WFO.

forrister - as long as the KX has the same type of connections for the cable you should be OK. Again, the only tricky part is balancing the adjustment of the two cables. Watch the routing of the cable too. Routing it wrong will result in the engine reving when you go to full lock. Unfortunately, your scenario is really the only good way to do it! LOL Lure your buddy over first and have him help you from the git go! Good luck. bp