Rev Limiter Clarification

Paul

I am glad the bike did well for you. I have a DRZ kickstart ( really three ) in different forms. I have a DRZ 436 I use for trail riding with head work, valves, cams, valve springs and exhaust. I had to change the ignition module due to always hitting the rev limiter. The revs built up so quick I couldn't shift it fast enough, especially in dry slick conditions. After the change I can rev the engine to get the benefit from the engine work without hitting the limiter, most of the time. It is quite a fun bike to ride. What I have done is really not needed though. The DRZ is a great trail bike in stock form. A little heavy but that can be trimmed some with a little work.

Originally posted by Paul Zeglovitch:

Well, I have been boring everyone with my jetting, exhaust, sputtering dilemna for some time so this will be my final comments. I rode the bike all weekend and took everyone's advise and shifted EARLIER and enjoyed the low end and midrange power.. I RARELY hit the rev limiter after I started doing that. I was riding trails all weekend and the bike did well, my conclusion is that this is a great TRAIL BIKE and that is pretty much all it is going to be, just enjoy it for what it is or move on..Thanks to everyone for answering my questions..

Well, I have been boring everyone with my jetting, exhaust, sputtering dilemna for some time so this will be my final comments. I rode the bike all weekend and took everyone's advise and shifted EARLIER and enjoyed the low end and midrange power.. I RARELY hit the rev limiter after I started doing that. I was riding trails all weekend and the bike did well, my conclusion is that this is a great TRAIL BIKE and that is pretty much all it is going to be, just enjoy it for what it is or move on..Thanks to everyone for answering my questions..

Paul,

In answer to your earlier posts, I've ridden both the YZ and WR 426s. If the WR had an electric start I would buy it....I'm lazy and the electric start has got me out of a few bad spots. The YZ suspenders had been modified and it had a hit when nailed full open. The WR just had gobs of torque but didn't like to be ridden slow. Both of these toys do well on the track... but I don't I prefer trail riding wich my DRZ-E does quite well. I weigh 185 at 6 ft. even and,for the track, I turn the forks comp all the way hard and the rear comp in 6 clicks to the hard. Rebound on the forks harder by 6 more clicks to stop the bouncing in 4 on the rear rebound.

It still is not an MX machine but it will make it around the track with out to much protest.

When I go back to the trails I just move it all back to where it was and have a good time. The DRZ does take roots a little better because of the softer ride and the seat doesn't smack me in the butt as hard when I hit hard angled stuff as a WR does. But if I could take that.........