Speaking of Spoke Wrenches-???

They made several comments when I bought my bike.

Also twisting my arm to buy the extended warranty which I didn't.

They said to check my spokes after the first 20 miles and to pay close attention to them. Made me wonder if it is a problem area? I haven't noticed any looseness in the first 500 miles?

I don't jump a lot but I try and keep the front wheel up whenever I get the chance and have ridden in some real rocky stuff.

Are you guys having any problems. With rims and spokes? Makes you wonder when all you get is a spoke wrench.

That is weird. I posted a question about loose spokes and now I read this. I wonder where mine went?

Question was: are you guys useing that spoke wrench much? I was warned by the dealer to check them often but haven't noticed any loose ones. How about the rest of you?

EZGZ: you should have recieved a spoke wrench with the bike. AND your spokes are probably already loose at 500 miles.

The reason the dealer said check after 20 is probably because they may not when they set the bike up.

Is your bike a 2002 model? Your main jet is way lean for 5,000 feet even with the stock muffler and tip. Especially when cold. Try a 150.

mine is a o1. I wondered about that jet thing after reading all the stuff here. I didn't do it. When I bought the bike here in junction the sales man had one just like mine and he handed me a plastic bag with the snorkel and the stock 142 main jet in it. He just smiled and said enjoy. It runs fine so far. I may do the wide open throttle and pull the plug trick next time out. That sure is a pain but at least we don't have to do it often. Thanks for the advise.

Found a good little spoke torque adjusting tool

for about $20, my bike had a few spokes loose after I checked it, after my first motoX race.

Check out www.spokeheadtool.com

I never got the spoke wrench with my bike. (that's my excuse) I was riding one day and reached some pavement. Hopped on the road and it immediately felt like a had a flat tire. Looked down--no flat. I got off the bike and realized that the spokes were so loose that the rim was floating around! Check those spokes occasionally.

Thanks guys! Checkout that link that borsy left. That is one cool tool and the site has great spoke tightening info. :) Anyone else have any intersting spoke tails?

I checked my spokes after 200 or so miles and found some loose ones. I know nothing about truing a wheel, all i did was tap the spokes with the wrench and tries to get the loose ones to sound like the tight ones. I will definitly keep and eye on my spokes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Bgringo
      I've read a lot of threads about this but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm pulling my 2004 DRZ400S out of storage sometime this week and getting it ready for the season.  I live at 9,000 ft, but my first ride of the year is probably going to be at around 5,000 ft.  I was going to pull the 145 main jet I'm running and put in the 150 adjusting the needle from the 2 clip to the 3rd, then re-jet once I got home.  I already have the extended fuel mixture screw in place so I started thinking that I should just run the 150 jet set up and adjust the fuel screw to compensate for the higher elevation where I'll be doing most of my riding.  I will be going down in elevation for rides until late May or June depending on snowfall, but riding on the street when I'm able.  Are there any disadvantages with this?
      I'm new to posting on this forum, so please forgive me if I didn't get the right search words in and there is already a post about this.
    • By Markl5557
      I am currently running 10w 40 Belray non synthetic and I want to switch to full synthetic amsoil .... is it ok to switch from regular to synthetic? I have read it’s not safe to go from synthetic to regular can someone explain if it’s safe to go from regular to synthetic!? Thanks !
    • By RockyMtnMark
      Good Morning,
        Last night I measured my valve clearances for the very first time (I know...) on my DRZ400S.  It's a 2002 and I've owned is since 2011.  I bought it with t's got about 15,000 miles on it and most of it's miles these days are on dirt.
      Intake specs are 0.10-0.20 mm.  Exhaust specs are 0.20-0.30
      My intake valve clearances are in spec, forgot to write them down.  My exhaust valve clearances are between 0.1778 and 0.2032 which is slightly out of spec.  They are no more than 25 microns out of spec.  My question is, do I really need to shim these?  Will this kind of out-of-spec cause performance, mechanical, or other losses?  As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy a whole shim kit which is like $80.  Thanks!
    • By Zach440
      Selling my 2009 Drz400sm. Been a great bike but it’s time to let go . Not looking for any trades - spring is just around the corner ! Located in northern Virginia . Cash only $4200- willing to negotiate I have some wolfman luggage options available as well. Love to make a package deal for someone 

-11640 miles . Mild off-road never wrecked.
      -Oil / filter changed every 1500 miles
      -New did chain , brake pads , front sprocket at 10400 miles .
      - valves checked and within spec at 10,000
      - jetted with JD kit and 3x3 mod
      -doubletake mirrors
      -waterproof usb wired and located next to Speedo
      - drc large foot pegs , barkbusters with integrated turn signals . 12oclocklabs tall delete with upgraded circuit board
      -thumpertalk case savers
      -sergeant seat (amazing) and Clarke 3.9 tank (190mile range )
      - fog lights wired in so they shut off with high beams
      -Shorai lithium battery
      -led headlight

- stock gas tank and seat will be included

The bike is dirty in photos and I apologize my water is currently disabled outside due to freezing temps . Radiator guards and skid plate NOT included but can be for some extra $$. Rear tire could be replaced but front is fine .
    • By tplayer100
      Currently have a 2000 drz400s work stock suspension. From my understanding this is the worst suspension the drz ever came with without even rebound damping adjustment. Therefore I'm looking for a upgrade. I'm seeing three approaches to take. First being a newer year s model suspension with dampening adjustment. A SM model USD forks and triple tree or some USD forks and triple tree from a rmz. So if you were going to upgrade what direction would you go. I currently ride off-road mostly but I do have some 17s for on road with as well so have to keep that in mind. Thanks